PDA

View Full Version : vray question kinda noobish

merdon
05-30-2006, 01:43 AM
what is vray and how do i get it i think i need for a glass texture.

CupOWonton
05-30-2006, 03:24 AM
Vray is a 3rd party renderer for 3dsmax.
You can use Standard Scanline or MentalRay though which come with max 6-8.
Vray does however complete more reflections and refractions faster than mental ray or scanline though, Im trying to figure out how to speed that up.

merdon
05-30-2006, 04:39 AM
well i got 8 how do i get vray?

neil09
05-30-2006, 10:52 AM
VRay is a rendering plug-in of 3d S Max. It also have lights and meterials VRay is not a free plug-in like mental ray. Mental Ray is remain with 3d S Max from version 7. If you want VRay you have to buy it.

Skrinl
06-07-2006, 06:07 PM
well i got 8 how do i get vray?

I believe there is a free version that you can find at: http://www.chaosgroup.com/

I use Vray and think it is a fantastic plug-in. I much prefer it to mental ray.

fvalicenti
06-11-2006, 05:50 AM
yup there is a free version of vray and itīs still pretty good, good thing about vray is that itīs much easier to get good results than with mental ray, at least for those just starting.

joconnell
06-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Tbh you don't need vray for a glass texture, glass itself only has two really important properties in 3d - it's fully refractive and has fresnel reflections (take a look for falloff in the 3dsmax manuals).

Make sure that your glass has some thickness to it or otherwise it'll look far too distorted. Take for example the windscreen of a car, you cant just use a flat plane object in max to make a windscreen. When you add refraction it'll look way to distorted. Glass in the real world has a thickness to it and once you add this your glass will look a lot more realistic. Take a look at the shell modifier to give an object thickness.

And now the important bit and possibly why you may be getting bad results with your glass. Pretty much any shiny object will be reflective and if it doesnt have anything interesting to reflect it'll look boring and unrealistic so the key thing is to give the glass object something to reflect. There's two main ways to do this - one is to model objects in the scene that you're using, even some simple white boxes can do nice things. Another option is to use an environment map. This is just a picture that you can put into the environment map slot in 3dsmax (rendering > environment) and if you set the mapping coordinates of the picture to spherical (again look at coordinates in the help) it will be like you have a big sphere surrounding your scene with the picture mapped onto it. All this means is that your glass object always has something to reflect and refract and you'll get all of the nice distorted details that makes glass look like glass.

INDIAN
06-14-2006, 11:20 AM
joconnell gave you the best aspect i think . it's true that you don't need vray only for a glass . try the raytrace material you'll find it useful , allthouth it really slows down the render time . of course i've been using vray for a lot time now and i really think is one of the best renderers . it combines many thinks : simple , fast , very good results if you use GI .

fvalicenti
06-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Yeah, the main thing is, you can get very realistic glass with scanline + raytrace, but itīs so much easier with vray to get better results, of course thereīs the issue of vray being an expensive plugin, so you should consider if what you will be doing justifies that expense... and if you have max 8, you already have MR which is a little bit more complicated than vray, but you can get same results, and maybe even better if you really know how to use it... now i donīt wanna start a discussion about MR being better than VRAY or the other way īround, since, to start with, iīm not as comfortable with MR as i am with VRAY (which works far better for me), and on the other hand we all know itīs pointless :P

Skrinl
06-21-2006, 01:06 AM
It might be worth playing around with material properties to acheive the glass effects with scanline renderer, there can be some good results. Try the Vray free version aswell, it is a very popular professional renderer that yeilds exciting results.

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2006, 01:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.