PDA

View Full Version : Switch From Cinema 4D To XSI .. Help

brayan
05-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Hi Xsi Lovely People ..
I'am Cinema 4D user , I Decide to Switch to Xsi , So
I want transition guide from c4d to xsi .
I do a search on net but all i found for (maya.max.lightwave) to xsi but not c4d .
any help plz ...

Sbowling
05-30-2006, 12:52 AM
Hi Xsi Lovely People ..
I'am Cinema 4D user , I Decide to Switch to Xsi , So
I want transition guide from c4d to xsi .
I do a search on net but all i found for (maya.max.lightwave) to xsi but not c4d .
any help plz ...

I don't know if there is a specific C4D to XSI guide, but I'm sure many of your questions have already been asked and you should be able to find them by doing a simple search on the fiorums. Also, the are many tutorials available on the internet from places like http://www.edharriss.com/ and http://www.softimage.com/education/learning_resources/tutorials/default.aspx

First, you should really do (or at least read through) the tutorials that come with XSI. They are very well written and will probably answer a lot of your questions.

If you still have questions, feel free to ask here.

BAM!
05-30-2006, 05:54 AM
here's a great book to get your started. it helpe me a lot when i first started it out with XSI. it's called Experience XSI 4 by Aaron Sims and Michael Isner. you can find it for cheap on amazon. i think this is better than looking for bits and pieces of tutorials. the book targets first timers to XSI.

Bucket
05-30-2006, 06:10 AM
Well there aren't many similarities that transfer over easily. They both have a different workflow in the larger scheme of things. Modeling is pretty much the same tho just different buttons and names to memorize. Wheras c4d has a very visually interact UI XSI puts objects operators out of sight when they are not used.

XSI puts a lot of emphasis on different selection modes. Different selection modes can be combined with different selection tools.

But for the most part all the UI options that are on the left side of the screen are on the Upper Right side of the screen.

UI display modes can be changed in similar manner as the c4d display. Try clicking the bar under File (usually model). Also try clicking the little boxes in the lower left hand screen.

Primitives don't need to be put into an Editable mode.

Pressing 8 is the closest thing you'll get to the c4d object list.

Not really any drag and drop of any deformers.

No object, model or animation modes. But there are operator stacks that can house different bits of information. Animation for animated properties. Modeling for modeling properties. etc.. But those stacks aren't forced on the user.

Small similiarities in modeling. Right clicking with a selection to access various modifiers. and the underlined letter is the shortcut selection for that particular modifyer while in the right click menu.

XSI's Clusters are similar to set selection in c4d. Cept XSI's clusters have a great level of versatility.

Press + - on the numberpad creates a geometry approximation that raises and lowers subdivision. It is the equivalent of dropping an object into a hypernurbs object and raising and lowering the subdivision level opengl or rendered.

themick_g
05-30-2006, 07:09 AM
try this...
http://www.digitaltutors.com/store/product.php?productid=1353&cat=32&page=1
coming from MAYA, it gave me a very good start!
mick

brayan
05-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Hey Guys , really thanks for this response

daniel77
05-30-2006, 08:08 AM
good choice. My 3d journey started with max to maya to cinema to XSI. XSI is by far the coolest of the listed.

BAM!
05-31-2006, 08:25 AM
i've used pretty much maya, cin4d max and xsi. yes..... XSI is the most satisfying of them all and it's what i am best at. however, down side to it is that no one knows how to use it in the industry. user population comparison side by side is like 80 gazillion people using MAx and Maya and 2 people using XSI. :(

if i had to choose the worst or actually let me say the most un userfriendly of all i listed above, i'd probably say it's cin4d. i am sorry... i am sure it's great, but just not for me.

3dtutorial
05-31-2006, 12:48 PM
This may also be of help to you when starting out with XSI...

http://www.3dtutorial.com/xsi.php?detail=40

Kind Regards,

/joe

Sbowling
06-02-2006, 07:02 AM
This may also be of help to you when starting out with XSI...

http://www.3dtutorial.com/xsi.php?detail=40

Kind Regards,

/joe

I can't believe I didn't give a recommend that video in my first post. I must have been tired or something. Getting started with XSI is highly recommended. It was one of the first videos I bought when I was getting started with XSI and it really helped a lot.

brayan
06-02-2006, 02:41 PM
My Friend, Stop ''Nobody is perfect"

I'll never switch From Cinema 4D To XSI

Hey benytone thank you ..
But really i love xsi day after day , it's very very fast it's amazing software and perfect Workflow , I Decide to still with xsi

Thank you for all guys for this help and response .

benytone
06-02-2006, 04:18 PM
But really i love xsi day after day , it's very very fast it's amazing software and perfect Workflow , I Decide to still with xsi.. .

That's alright, itís Your Decision and enjoy it
Mini-tip:very nice Cinema4D & Maya-like Layout from xsibase

xsibase click (http://www.xsibase.com/tools/layouts.php?detail=1354)

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8510/lay0dr.jpg

kidult one
06-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Yeah I got real fed-up with C4D cos I want to do character animation - picked up xsi about 2 weeks ago so its nice to see this post thanx been a great help too - and since then i have re-started my love/hate relationship with C4D - some things are soo good about it and others soo bad - but in my experience (which is very little im sad to say) U end up using differant programs for differant tasks and put it all together for the final product anyway - so the more programs u know the more tools u have to apply your creativity to.

Sbowling
06-03-2006, 12:55 PM
I use both, XSI through necessity. I'd say you were insane to give up on C4D. I'm not saying that on programme is better than the other as far as options are concerned but C4D is just a joy to use.(well i'm trying hard not to say ones better than the other:))I just love C4D. But good luck anyway.

I have both. I only use XSI anymore. I honestly think XSI has the better workflow, and is unmatched in character animation. I also like the XSI modelling better and the curve editor is miles above the one in C4D. I absolutely hated the whole particle thing in C4d and xpresso is a messo. That said, C4d has some good points (I really liked the deformers), but character animation is definitely not one of them.

Sbowling
06-03-2006, 12:57 PM
That's alright, itís Your Decision and enjoy it
Mini-tip:very nice Cinema4D & Maya-like Layout from xsibase

xsibase click (http://www.xsibase.com/tools/layouts.php?detail=1354)

<munch>

You realize you are severely handicapping XSI with that interface. Learn to use the real interface and you will be much more productive.

tuna
06-03-2006, 01:08 PM
You realize you are severely handicapping XSI with that interface. Learn to use the real interface and you will be much more productive.

How is that specific layout severly handicapping XSI? Everything available in the standard layout is directly available in that layout too, with the added bonus of a more familiar layout to those used to Maya/C4D.

In fact the layout I use is even more minimal that that, and I can use everything within XSI perfectly fine.

SheepFactory
06-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Wow..

He said he is switching and asked for some help so I dont know why a bunch of you c4d users took on a mission to sway his decision but please refrain from making pointless posts.

CGTalk Moderation
06-03-2006, 05:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.