PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Picture/logo

A MacVey
01-10-2003, 12:23 AM
here is a desktop that i made for my non existing company a while ago. I kinda like it but i think it can be somewhat better. Im not sure if the PS clouds in the background make the picture look cheesy to you "photoshop" pros. Any suggestions on it?

tchook
01-11-2003, 02:36 PM
yes i think you can something better with your logo

i like the cloud background but i think you can contrast it an darken it outside the light of the logo.

try to add different cloud effect (smaller /made of different colors)
and then blend them together (overlay/multiply/etc)

the logo is a bit small for the size of the canvas

the shinny effect is a bit shy , try to enhance it (the background
should be brighter behind the logo) and it is to sharp (try to mix
it with some clouds effects)

you can try to erode the alpha of your logo with your light burst effect.

the fact that your wcm is a on the upper right side of the frame
needs something on the lower left side for balance (like "just do
it" or your adress you will find something)

the lines are a bit to large and they need to be lightened by the lightburst.

you can enhance the depht of your background by multiply the number of lines and decrease the luminance when they are far
(like a matrix effect)
or/and increase number of dots that you make or put some text attached to the lines with a neon effect

and remenber one rules
everithing that you put on your frame must enhance your logo
not "fight" with it

hope that help

dont bother ask if there is something you dont understand (im french so it s a bit hard to translate)
;)

skilled vē
01-11-2003, 08:18 PM
hey man try an object for your logo....because right now your logo is pretty much a tutorial... I would try somthing of your own

A MacVey
01-12-2003, 02:33 AM
thanks tchook understood it perfectly :) i'll try all that out.

skilled-yeah the light burst is from a tutorial any ideas on something i could do?

fig
01-12-2003, 05:55 AM
you look vaguely familiar ;)

for the cloudy effect try drawing an irregularly shaped polygon on a layer, fill it with a color, then deselect and blur the heck out of it. do multiple 'clouds' on different layers and start playing with blending modes. as far as a text effect try making a copy of your text (maybe enlarge the selection slightly), blurring it, then working with blending modes.

chris

puu
01-16-2003, 10:54 AM
logos are those annoying things... you pay a designer millions to come up with something simple, memorable, full of impact..and think you can do it easily too. Then you try, and arrghhh! design proccess madness sets in, and you go thru idea after idea, seeking the elusive perfect icon..

well thats been my experience with logo's. post yours when it's done man, it would be cool to see :)

puu
01-16-2003, 10:58 AM
speaking of logo's, i really want to change my avatar, but cant locate the options, aarggh. time to rtfm i guess :hmm:

puu
01-16-2003, 10:58 AM
i should probably just edit the previous post, but anyway: found the avatar option :)

A MacVey
01-19-2003, 03:54 AM
heres an update with the clouds adjusted do they look better? im thinking about doing something in CG for the text and not just in photoshop. so does it look better now?

BlazeSquall
01-19-2003, 07:24 AM
Nice.

What filter do you use to create the grid type effect in the background?

A MacVey
01-19-2003, 03:55 PM
do you mean the dots? that is a pattern, the yellow lines are made with the line tool

BlazeSquall
01-19-2003, 04:46 PM
Ah, ok, thanks.

I just thought that perhaps there was an easier way.

Nobi
01-22-2003, 02:23 PM
The easier way is to use "Alpha Strip"(a ps filters)

Do this twice on different direction and different layers!

At last adjust the layer......Do untill you like!

A MacVey
01-28-2003, 12:22 AM
here is an update, i think its gotten a lot better now. I just dont know what to put in the lower left. Ill put up a full high rez version up on the net when im done so you can use it as your desktop

tchook
01-28-2003, 08:06 AM
yes thats better
your background is more rich
try to add more lines on the rights
but your logo is still unbalanced on the frame
i think you can work harder on the font. its difficult to read it

more lightburst :bounce: :bounce:

:beer:

A MacVey
01-28-2003, 02:10 PM
ok ill work on that. The main reason why i have the logo in that location is because it seems to me that most people have their desktop icons on the left side of the screen and those would cover up the words. So i moved it up.

tchook
01-28-2003, 02:27 PM
so you have something to put in lower left corner....:)

dg
01-29-2003, 01:36 AM
Hi, great work man!

But try do a diferent aligment of your logo on the frame, to me is kind strange to look, appears lost on the frame.

Just my humble opnion ;-)

See Ya!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.