PDA

View Full Version : 'It's Still Good' short film completed

kantcho
05-29-2006, 08:04 AM
Hey guys, I just completed my degree at Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, this is my grad film. Hope you like it.

http://doskov.com/film_embed.html

http://doskov.com/cg_talk_pic.jpg

Comments, critiques, and suggestions are more than welcome.

Psotek
05-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Hey Kantcho!

Hows it feel to finally be done?! Crazy I bet. 4 Years of Animation... well and all them academics too, haha.

Anyways, your film in my opinion, was the most solid looking piece of the whole show that night. Flowed nicely and actually made me laugh. Im glad it turned out so well.

World Cup 06 baby! :D

kantcho
05-29-2006, 08:56 PM
thx, I just fixed the broken links, everything should work fine now.

http://doskov.com/film_embed.html

Edos
05-30-2006, 09:48 PM
that was a pretty funny short, nice work.

kinginmotion
05-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Good job Kantcho, it is short and sweet! The animation is good, I look foward to your animation to continue getting better! Then I'll hire you for 2 dollars, and you can live in my closet! =P

Bartosz is a jerk, haha because he didn't say anything about MY film on YOUR thread...
LOL

Psotek
05-30-2006, 11:08 PM
OMG King's film is AMAZING!!11oneone

Pants01
05-31-2006, 04:34 AM
Hey Kantcho, glad you finally graduated. 4 years is a long time, I would have got it done in two! :D

Well, you wanted me to rip your film apart so I'll try my best. I liked the animation overall, the demo reel shows off your skills really well. My biggest problem is that it looked like you used some video reference to rotoscope the ball tricks. I usually use video reference to draw out key poses but it looked like you rotoscoped it. I may be wrong about that but others might think the same thing especially since you showed that video reference of yourself at the end. I would get rid of the video of yourself for two reasons. 1: People you send you reel to might come to the conclusion that you rotoscoped your whole demo reel and that might hurt your chances of landing a job. 2: It's a cool video but an animation reel isn't a place to show it off. Lastly, this is a little pet peeve of mine but I hate hearing amateurish voice acting on student reels. I mean, you have this nice little animated piece with nice visuals and it gets this muffled voice without any conviction behind the acting. I'm guessing that's your voice, hmm? I know it's only a couple lines and Hmms/Ohs that aren't very complicated but that just makes it easier to find somebody who could do them well.

Pretty minor problems. The main thing is it's a really good student demo reel (I sure made a lot mistakes when I made mine lol). Looks like you shouldn't have a problem finding a job somewhere.

kantcho
05-31-2006, 06:33 AM
yeah, you got me, I totally did all the voices myself.
As far as the soccer anmation goes, I did rely heavily on the reference footage of myself kicking the ball, mainly because the movements and weight shifts are quite complex when juggling a soccr ball.

I'm wondering how other people feel about the live action footage which I have in the credits, does it feel out of place in an animated short/demo reel?

Juzz
05-31-2006, 09:31 AM
If any of you people can name a 3D movie that has been done without video reference, you win a special prize.

The video reference is totally Ok, because it shows that you rely on real movements and pay attention to your work. Without ref, the juggling would have looked awful and it would have pretty much ruined the whole reel.

And, it is cool to see the you can do other things than just animation!

kantcho
05-31-2006, 07:52 PM
yeah, I wanted to show that I do have a life outside of art and animation, and soccer is definitely a passion of mine.

israelyang
05-31-2006, 07:57 PM
hey
I saw the short at EA the 5 sec rule was really funny.
As for your question, I can't really answer it because I am not an animator but i feel you, but if I were you I wouldn't put the whole thing on your deel. If you drew thumbnails and keyposes (even if from your reference) i'd definately put it on.

joelfurtado
06-01-2006, 03:57 PM
KANTCHO! Congrats on a wicked film and a hard years work come to an end. I know you won't have any problems landing a great job (hopefully soccer related). It was fun getting to work with you guys and see how strong you all are as artists and filmakers. See you at Ottawa! :P

kantcho
06-02-2006, 06:44 PM
thx Joel, great job on Urban Rush the other day, Ottawa here we come, I hope.

RVG
06-02-2006, 11:59 PM
hey...great stuff... a bit too overacted sometimes though (specially with the fat dude)

kantcho
06-03-2006, 11:49 PM
hey...great stuff... a bit too overacted sometimes though (specially with the fat dude)

yeah, I know what you mean RVG, that's also been a critique from a number of people I've shown it to, definitely something I need to work on and get better at.

Nmuta
06-12-2006, 01:04 AM
This is a great animation. The soccer animation is particularly good, IMO. The fat guy is repulsive and very entertaining. Great , great job.

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2006, 01:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.