PDA

View Full Version : My PC is too loud

danylyon
01-09-2003, 08:59 PM
My PC makes too much noise.. And because I'm sleepeng / eating / basically anything in that room.. it gets annoying at times.

Well the main problem are the Fan's I think.

I have a 350V Power Supply.. which is very loud.. are there any alternatives?

I have a SCSI System.. two hard drives.. both have fans.. though, I don't know if they need them.. maybe I can pull them off?

And my AMD 1800 (on a Epox 8kha+ Mainboard) and GeForce 3 have fans too..
can I take those away? .:wip: .. (just kidding here)

Are there any other solutions? Like low noise cases or such thing?

Note: It's not a prebuilt systems.. so I can change basically anything.

eX-one
01-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Have a look at this link, it may give you some ideas :

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/other/silent_pc/1.php

The forums there are a good help too

elvis
01-09-2003, 10:57 PM
these guys are the gurus of quiet computing:

http://www.quietpc.com/

they have an online shop where you can by all sorts of noise-suppressed components for your system.

singularity2006
01-10-2003, 06:49 AM
How loud would u consider loud? Mine sounds like a 12 inch rotating fan on pedestle.... the asian type u buy from asian places that say "tiger" on them. Same asian company that makes the rice cookers. Anyh0w, I make sure that all my fans are name brand such as coolermaster or wutever and/or are double ball bearing. Some fans use single ball bearings which can cause much noise if the axel is offset from wear and tear.

Another radically stupid idea is to sound proof your case by putting in lots of foam insulation on the side panels ... this causes heat problems but will absorb at least some of the sound... heheheh.

danylyon
01-10-2003, 11:12 AM
How loud would u consider loud?

That's hard to explain.. I personally just have a problem with mine being to loud.. so I have to change that. If you don't mind yours then I don't think you need to change anything.

Though.. I used to have my PC inside a locker.. and it's just SOOO much better. It's a completly different working experience, if you hear no sound from your machine.

Thanks elvis and eX-one for your links.. that's what I needed!

GregHess
01-10-2003, 12:53 PM
The loudest sources of noise in PC's are usually smaller high rpm fans. The default cooling, and lower budget cooling on most athlons involves smacking a 60mm Delta on an alumnium hybrid heatsink. Delta's produce upwards of 55 Db just by themselves, and its usually at a pitch which is pretty difficult to tune out.

Some of the quickest solutions to this problem are...

1) Buying a heatsink which uses an 80mm fan.
or
2) Buying a 60mm-80mm fan funnel for your heatsink, and using an 80mm fan.
or
3) Rewiring the Delta fan to run at half rpm, through creative use of the 4 prong power connectors.

Other sources of noise are the powersupply (Hard to fix without voiding the warranty, or buying a new psu), case fans, and of course video and chipset cooling.

Chipset cooling can be quieted down by looking into a oversized heatsink purchase. (If the chipset is using active cooling). A variety of companies sell these, and they look akin to the very large alumnium heatsinks that asus uses on a variety of their boards.

Video GPU cooling usually doesn't make THAT much of a difference to overall case noise, as 2-3 case fans will bleed out the sound of the video card's cooling. There are some passive, or quieter gpu cooling solutions, but their quite large and take up multiple PCI slots. (Zalman makes one)

Case fans are easy, get some adjustable rpm ones, or low rpm models (2000 rpm).

Water cooling, though thought to be quiet, usually isn't much quieter then a decently setup aircooled system...its just far far more efficent.

GregHess
01-11-2003, 07:01 PM
Remember that the primary problem with insulating or soundproofing a case is....

A) The insulation traps the ambient heat inside the case, rising cpu, gpu, and chipset temperatures a variable degree based on the amount of insulation.

B) The insulation prevents the case metal from dissapating heat. This further increases the ambient temp within the case, further rising the temp of all components. Its best to also note, that if you insulate a alumnium case, you've pretty much defeated one of the primary benefits of going alumnium...heat disapation.

kwshipman
01-12-2003, 01:53 AM
I origionally thought that my computer was pretty silent, but now I cant stand it. I am going to replace the fan on my heatsink (volcano 7, right now, might replace the whole heatsink)and the one on the side with some nice adjustable ones. Then I am doing to take a dremel to the case and cut out all the fan grills. Might also add another fan on the top. we will see.

GregHess
01-12-2003, 10:41 PM
On the topic of noise....

The Dual 2.8B Xeon system from Boxxtech I'm reviewing is EXTREMELY quiet. And thats with 2 large exhaust fans, 2 60mm fans on the heatsinks, and the psu fans. Cpu temps are hitting around 40C under load. Pretty damn amazing.

Mistyk
01-12-2003, 11:14 PM
GregHess,

Do you think it is possible to get detailed specs for the 3DBOXX S5s (the model you're reviewing) somewhere on the web? Its manual appears not to be published on their website as of yet.

Is the case aluminium?

What size are the exhaust fans and are they located in the rear?

Are there any intake fans and if so; where and what size? Are the intakes (fan or not) covered with dust filters?

Can you see what brands and model/specs the CPU- and case-fans are?

Is the PSU proprietary or a known brand and model?

Thanks

GregHess
01-13-2003, 12:48 AM
The rear fans appear to be 92mm, with the normal 80mm psu exhaust.

So exhaust (2x92mm, 1x80mm)

The case is alumnium.

There are no intake fans, there are no intake filters.

The cpu's are Intel Socket 604 Xeons, 2.8 Gigahertz, B models. (533 FSB)

Not sure on the heatsinks have to check.

Not opening the case right now (rendering) so I'll check the psu branding later.

Mistyk
01-13-2003, 01:00 AM
Your help is appreciated. How would you say that the S5s compares to Dell's 530 (or 650 if you have it) noise-wise and in terms of build quality?

Did you see any holes or grills meant for fresh air intake?

GregHess
01-13-2003, 01:18 AM
Then entire lower half is preferated for fresh intake.

Its superior in terms of performance to the Dell...as someone just submitted the Dell benchmarks to 3dluvr, and the boxx system thwomped it. Its actually a pretty big difference considering the Boxx system is cheaper, and their both running at the same megahertz. Guess that DC-DDR and 533 FSB makes a pretty big difference.

http://www.3dluvr.com/content/maxbench.php

*=Max5 SSE ON or Max 4.26

For quality...I'd vote the boxxtech superior. The interior of the case is so clean, its just utterly amazing. I've seen alot of dells and they can't hold a candle to the way this box is setup. Like comparing a hyndai to an audi or bmw.

kwshipman
01-15-2003, 12:59 AM
Does anyone have experience with thoes Zalman "flower" Heatsinks? They use 92mm fans that arnt attached to the heatsink. Supposed to be very quiet and effective for cooling.

GregHess
01-15-2003, 02:12 AM
Their moderately effective. Decent for a box that won't be running under stressful conditions. (A grandma box for example). They also don't work for dual processor systems.

Joel Hooks
01-15-2003, 06:30 AM
That's a great benchmark test Greg. I am still debating my box at the office (still working on my home system) and this is some good evidence for the Boxx!

GregHess
01-15-2003, 12:48 PM
I should finish the vray tests by this weekend. Then I'll move onto lightwave. Maya and XSI results by the end of the month.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.