PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray and Hair dynamics

berthunt
05-28-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm trying to render a scene with an animated character with hair on his head in Mental Ray.

The best way to state it is as a series of facts.

1. From within max, I can render any still frame of the animation and have it come out right.

2. From within max, I can not render a sequence of frames, Mental Ray crashes and then Max follows. Mental ray seems to crash at the point where it's finished one frame and assigning the next.

3. I can render a sequence of frames with backburner, but A, it lists network errors after each frame and typically takes two tries to render a frame succesfully. and B, the hair doesn't move with the character. It just stays in one spot and the character animates away from it.

The hair has pre computed dynamics, and as I said above, in Max I can render any frame and it renders right.

4. I tried doing a simple test with a hairy ball bouncing with dynamics and I was able to render that with Mental Ray within max, but I did it as a quicktime animation file instead of a series of still frames. It was also 640x480 res where my serious animation is 1280x720 res

Has anyone encountered this? Any workarounds

CGTalk Moderation
05-28-2006, 05:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.