PDA

View Full Version : new silo2 update - video and pic's

Layer01
05-28-2006, 09:13 AM
http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6171

Hey folks,

Here's the latest video, covering the new manipulators, more with sticky keys, displacement painting, and some general workflow improvements.
http://www.nevercenter.com/videos/silo2_may27.mov

We also have some pictures!

First, a model from beta tester Chad Hamlet. The base is in the first pic, and in the second it is subdivided 6 levels to around 500k polygons. (Click thumbnails for full-size captures.) He did this model before we made some major improvements to the brushes, and he did a great job. Here's one quote from Chad: "I really like the fast shade mode for sculpting. I'm also suprised by the speed that Silo works at with the 500k model. I opened it up in Zbrush just to test out how the speed compares and there isn't much difference other than the slight delay after the brush stroke like Brook mentioned." We're working on correcting that delay, and once we get that taken care of we'll be pretty satisfied with the speed we're getting. We're excited to get a public beta out and find out how it performs across a wider spectrum of machines.

mech7
05-28-2006, 09:38 AM
:applause: Silo 2 will be great.. i love how 1 is just dead easy and works. Not having to select and deselect every vertice is great. And all common things as an shortcut z / extrude alt + x / split alt + e select edge loop.. silo 2 will only get better :buttrock:

-Sai-
05-28-2006, 09:45 AM
wow.. great news.. zbrush , silo and mudbox .. more choice for the users.

DarkTure
05-28-2006, 02:14 PM
I think I need to buy silo soon. Looks really fast and its cheap. :)

chadtheartist
05-28-2006, 06:29 PM
While I don't think Silo will replace Zbrush or Mudbox, it will be quite nice to have in addition to those apps. For blocking out stuff, or volume sculpting, Silo will work great! For high frequency details, you will probably need Zbrush or Mudbox.

Silo 2 has a lot more than just displacement painting though. UV editor, polygon modeling including adding/subtracting geometry on a sculpted mesh (You loose your painted details in these areas, but the rest of the model remains intact), and the topology brush.

nvvm
05-28-2006, 08:00 PM
MAn all these good tools :) I Can't wait to see what it's capable of, though after reading Feed's post I get the feeling the release might be 4-6 months off :sad:

Anyway I like competitive tools as it makes the Competitors react in kind :thumbsup:

rootdown
05-28-2006, 08:10 PM
I just started fooling around with the Silo learning version this last week and I am really impressed. I am really hoping to be able to scrape up the dosh to get the full license before version 2 is out, since it's free to people who buy the current version now. Their big emphasis is on speeding up modeling workflow and they do not fool around!

private
05-29-2006, 05:38 AM
Excellent work guys!

Hey folks,
Here's the latest video, covering the new manipulators, more with sticky keys, displacement painting, and some general workflow improvements.
http://www.nevercenter.com/videos/silo2_may27.mov

We also have some pictures!

First, a model from beta tester Chad Hamlet. The base is in the first pic, and in the second it is subdivided 6 levels to around 500k polygons.

http://silo3d.com/images/chadhead2sm.jpg (http://silo3d.com/images/chadhead2.jpg) http://silo3d.com/images/chadhead1sm.jpg (http://silo3d.com/images/chadhead1.jpg)

Xevious
05-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Does Silo 2 have a price increase? I looked on the Nevercenter website but I couldn't find any info (Admittedly, I didnt look too hard though).

lovisx
05-29-2006, 05:35 PM
it was mentioned that there would be a price increase with 2.0... but they haven't mentioned how much...

-Sai-
05-29-2006, 08:05 PM
thay gave some hints that it won't go over double the price(which is around $ 200) but don't quote me on that.

superbla
08-02-2006, 01:11 PM
On the Silo News forum:

2.0 base price: $159

2.0 upgrade price: $59

mlynch
08-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Regardless of the price increase Silo's definitely a tool worth adding to your creative arsenal.

abonora
08-02-2006, 01:57 PM
I am so buying this!

Layer01
08-02-2006, 04:18 PM
christ, talk about back from the dead! lol

anyway...since this is here now. i'll mention in here that the price for silo2 is $159 and the upgrade is $59.
press release is out tomorrow..or today..timezones mess with my head
and with it all new videos etc..
till then..stay away from this corpse lol

ngrava
08-02-2006, 09:08 PM
While I don't think Silo will replace Zbrush or Mudbox, it will be quite nice to have in addition to those apps. For blocking out stuff, or volume sculpting, Silo will work great! For high frequency details, you will probably need Zbrush or Mudbox.

Yeah... I don't know about that... Still remains to be seen (and felt). I haven't seen anything to suggest that it can't do the high detail painting. There are a lot of people out there that don't like the Zbrush interface paradigm. I'm sure that to them, this is really good news.

Silo 2 has a lot more than just displacement painting though. UV editor, polygon modeling including adding/subtracting geometry on a sculpted mesh (You loose your painted details in these areas, but the rest of the model remains intact), and the topology brush.
Yeah, this sounds like even more reasons why someone would choose Silo2 over Zbrush. ;) I actually like Zbrush a lot but, I would welcome the ability to work seamlessly in a single program like this. It's one of the reasons I usually block out models in Zspheres instead of a separate program.

chadtheartist
08-02-2006, 10:03 PM
My statement came from being a beta tester of Silo 2. It is quite capable of doing higher-res details, as I illustrate in the Silo beta image thread on the Silo forums. I just feel for now, Zbrush and Mudbox are better suited for higher frequency details.

http://silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6385&page=3

In a pinch you could do some really cool stuff with Silo 2 though. :)

SheepFactory
08-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Looks wonderful. I cant wait to upgrade and use this baby.

pnoland
08-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Gonna be the best $59 bucks I'll spend in a long time. :)

xsitar
08-02-2006, 10:53 PM
yep, these nc guys are doing some fantastic work. in my opinion silo(2) has/will have the best modeling. (zbrush/ mubdox excluded from my comparison). also the price makes it a winner.

Phil Lawson
08-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Very nice update...looks to be alot of fun!

JCAddy
08-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Amazing. Looks great, and can't wait for my free upgrade :)

I would imagine the next release after 2.0 will be quite a price increase. Their user base should blow up with all these new tools.

Now for Zbrush updates.

ngrava
08-03-2006, 01:47 AM
My statement came from being a beta tester of Silo 2. It is quite capable of doing higher-res details, as I illustrate in the Silo beta image thread on the Silo forums. I just feel for now, Zbrush and Mudbox are better suited for higher frequency details.

http://silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6385&page=3

In a pinch you could do some really cool stuff with Silo 2 though. :)

Hmm. Interesting. Nice work by the way. :) In your opinion, what what is it that Silo lacks that that would make one have to use Zbrush for the high frequency detail?

Vaejh
08-03-2006, 02:39 AM
Hmm. Interesting. Nice work by the way. :) In your opinion, what what is it that Silo lacks that that would make one have to use Zbrush for the high frequency detail?

Good question.

About the beta and pricing of Silo2, also the features video, find it there :
http://www.nevercenter.com/silo/silo_20_beta/

Silo2 will be 159$ US for full, 59$ for upgrade.

Version 2.0 introduces brush-based displacement painting fully integrated into a traditional modeling environment, LSCM UV unwrapping, and major improvements in the areas of interface, speed, workflow and toolset.

chadtheartist
08-03-2006, 02:52 AM
I am still under NDA so I can't really reveal those kinds of things yet. But as I pointed out in my posts in the beta image thread, if you are resourceful you can do some really detailed work.

Goon
08-03-2006, 03:50 AM
*wrong thread* woops

ScottC
08-03-2006, 04:29 AM
Yeah... I don't know about that... Still remains to be seen (and felt). I haven't seen anything to suggest that it can't do the high detail painting. There are a lot of people out there that don't like the Zbrush interface paradigm. I'm sure that to them, this is really good news.

Yeah, this sounds like even more reasons why someone would choose Silo2 over Zbrush. ;) I actually like Zbrush a lot but, I would welcome the ability to work seamlessly in a single program like this. It's one of the reasons I usually block out models in Zspheres instead of a separate program.

Let me just say first off, that I'll be upgrading my Silo version when its released, for no other reason than its a great accesible, fast and customizeable utility modeller. I dont need it to be anything else. But a ZB killer it is not, unless your needs are very simple.

This reminds me of all the Hexagon 2 hype that quickly faded once the program was released. Just to get some perspective, in addition to all the other things ZB does BESIDES mesh sculpting and displacement painting, the sheer amount of polygons ZB handles because it was built from the ground up to do it, is millions more than the lower end disp.paint newcomers. And the new version of ZB reports double digit polygon counts with ease.

Not knocking anything here...I love Silo, but i just see it as being more complimetary to ZB now. Im much more anxious to see what new UV tools it has.

saintneko
08-03-2006, 11:59 PM
And the new version of ZB reports double digit polygon counts with ease.
Double digits, huh? The finally got up above 9 polys?

^.^ I realize double digit millions, but I couldn't resist. :)

Spin99
08-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Yeh you can do 10 polys now.

mech7
08-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Yeh you can do 10 polys now.

Imagine the powa :D

NanoGator
08-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Interesting.

I have couple of questions about Silo:

1.) Does it support textures in the viewport? I assume the answer's yes given the UV tools, so here's the real question: Does it support transperncy in the viewport? Can I have a texture + alpha and see the transparency?

2.) Does it have an edge rounder?

Frank Lake
08-07-2006, 04:03 AM
Nano,chrono, yes it does support textures and has since before v1.3. However I haven't seen anything on the SILO forums about transparency support or edge rounding. But I do know that both have been asked for and I've already asked about getting extensive edge rounding options. I'll know more when I get my beta version and if you have any other further questions about S2 you know where to find me. ;)

ScottC.,

I agree that Silo is additive, but the double digit million mark is doable in other packages so it's not really that much of a hugh selling point any more. Caligari rebuilt TS so that it handles millions real time, it always could handle double digit millions just not real time, also it now does displacement painting and renders full scenes real time in the high millions. If it's interface wasn't such a trainwreck, makes Blenders look easy, more people would be using it.

CGTalk Moderation
08-07-2006, 04:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.