View Full Version : Heroic Knight
05-28-2006, 03:09 AM
So this is one I've been working on lately, Not sure if I should call it finished or keep picking away at it. Not sure what else to do with the background. Crits? Suggestions?
Wow check out that lighting and detail! Amazing! To me, the lightning feels like more of a space filler than part of the background. I'm not sure how to fix that or if it even needs fixing but that's just what I kinda get from it. Also, his thumbs seem a little odd. I think his right thumb looks a little short unless it's bent in, which in that case it's all good. His left thumb looks really slim compared to his index finger and should be thickend a little.
All in all I'm amazed by the detail and lighting, but I really think you could do a lot more with the background, even though I sense and agree that you don't want an overbearing background.
05-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Thanks, I'll definitly widen his left thumb. I might try to lighten up the trees or something, then again the focus is mostly on the character..so....:shrug: I'll keep playing with it.
06-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Played around with the background just a little, not sure which one to go with, maybe the shortened version, but what do you guys think?
06-03-2006, 11:04 PM
hi LegacyPunk, This is ever so close to being a kick-ass piece of art, but it's falling short in a couple of areas.
1) The first problem is with the lighting - you've got a night-time scene with a huge fire behind the figure, but there is this mysterious white foreground light. What is that light? It's almost like he's standing in a doorway: there is a fire inside the building on his left, and there is daylight shining on him from the right.
2) the cloth is not convincing, not folded properly. the blue is too saturated, especially with red/orange light.
3) the lines of the armour, such as the various segmented pieces. The lines are not precise enough, they look like they need resolving more rigorously. Ditto the round pieces of armour on his chest. The curves are not convincing.
4) the face looks great. The left hand looks great. The right hand looks not that great.
5) the chest armour doesn't look as metallic as the other bits - not contrasty enough.
Check out my WIP thread :) I'm working on some similar type stuff, and would appreciate your input.
06-03-2006, 11:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
vBulletin v3.0.5, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.