PDA

View Full Version : Pascal Challenge Poll

Taoizm
12-27-2001, 01:14 PM
Since the issue of showing WIP work has come up, I figured that I would start this poll here to see what everyone thinks.

rendermonkey23
12-27-2001, 01:37 PM
I answered no BUT I would love to see all that stuff after the challenge is finished. I think WIP's are gonna help everybody out enormously.

<--------this much--------> :)

vertex
12-27-2001, 01:56 PM
I have voted 'yes' because it will be good to share the processes each of use to tackle a subject. from concept through to model. Without that sharing it is just a competition with no prizes. apart form the 'kudos'

Thoth
12-27-2001, 02:09 PM
It could be that I'm wrong but wasn't this for improvement which would happen when facing the challenge.... if so, I think that showing WIP stands for that pretty strongly and then the improvement would affect on all of us and not just on participating artists, just a thought ;)

rendermonkey23
12-27-2001, 02:14 PM
Yeah, that reminds me.... this is a "challenge" not a competition like we were talking about in the beginning. I'm still hung-up on the fact that it's a competition. If the votes get down and dirty (kinda like our last presidential votes :) ) then take one off no and smack in on top of the yes for my vote. :D

cerreto
12-27-2001, 02:23 PM
I think some of the people who are wanting not to show w.i.p's are artist doing the 2d part of the competition , if it is i can see why they wouldnt want to show the development stage because its quit diferent than doing a 3d model

I suggest the competition have a split between 2d and 3d so the 3d people can show there works as they go and others can learn from them wip s also give you a clue as to who is participating

so my vote is yesshow the wips if any one want ill start and post mine today

Pentagramma
12-27-2001, 02:30 PM
Hi there!

I have voted "no", because I want to be surprised with the entries, at the end.

Anyway, after February 1st, I would love to see every WIPs!

ikmo
12-27-2001, 02:59 PM
I would have to agree with rendermonkey!

I also was hung up on this being a competition versus a challenge. After reading much of the replies, WIPs would be beneficial to our personal "challenge" to create a character with a defined set of features.

I also voted NO and believe that I misunderstood the purpose of the challenge. I'm a YES-man now! :D

Also, if some would rather not see progress work, then they would be able to avoid the posted WIPs, wouldn't they? I also see the benefit for some to develop their own ideas without external influences. Just tryin' to be diplomatic!

hank:rolleyes:

marioucci
12-27-2001, 04:18 PM
well, as u already know ....YES!!
and wireframes too please:)
and a lot of comments as well would be nice!!
i´d learned a lot in my character so far, but i want to learn from the other artist experience.
i can say for sure that 20-30% of what i´ve learned so far came from wireframes and wips i´ve seen in the net (martin k, bay, soanala, alceu baptistão, travis b, etc...)
and think this way:
if all artists in this site become the best artists ever!!!!
there will sitll have work in the industry for all of us a lots more:)
so, share!!!!!!!!!
ps. i mean that in a good way ok:)

Khar_Negt
12-27-2001, 06:21 PM
I agree with cerreto... I don't see how I can show wip pic in a design research in 2D... But I will try to give away some pre drawing time to time :)

fellipe
12-27-2001, 09:11 PM
I think some of the people who are wanting not to show w.i.p's are artist doing the 2d part of the competition , if it is i can see why they wouldnt want to show the development stage because its quit diferent than doing a 3d model

well, i could post skethes....they are always fun in partys. =) but i voted no, as previously told

InnerVortex
12-27-2001, 09:40 PM
i voted yes.. it can be a way to see who is in the challenge too.. of course thats not aplied to everyone..ppl that only can start working on it more lately.. so i think it should be kind of optional..
but the objective with all this is to learn.. and i really dlike to see.. wireframes/nonsmothed or even.. smal tuts explaining some tecniks that ppl may wanna see how its done.. of course thats only if the guy who did it wants too:/

cerreto
12-27-2001, 10:55 PM
um how will we know when all the votes have been cast is there foing too be a 2 day deadline to vote? just curious ?

bassaminator
12-28-2001, 12:36 AM
I voted yes- I like the free exchange of ideas as opposed to a closed system. Seeing wips will help prevent duplication of the same ideas, or inspire creative variations/improvements that would not happen in a closed system.
The show+ tell system has helped many of us on these and other forums. Since this is a 'challenge' and not a closed contest with prizes, the goal is to improve. Feedback only speeds up that process ;)
my two cents.

pswitzer
12-28-2001, 12:43 AM
Refer to my reply at the end of the challenge thread. It explains what I think. :)

But to sum it up here, I'm contradicting my very original thoughts because I think some people are thinking it should be come all complex. I just think that since this is the first try at this sort of workshop, that it shouldn't be as such. And thus I outlined a few _simple_ rules.

1) The actual modeling rules
2) You have to post in the thread saying you're going to be a part of the workshop, you may not simply show up with a model at the end out of no where (I don't think there's any real official list, just put a reply in the challenge thread)
3) Post/finish your model by the end date (however, regardless of if wips are allowed or not, if someone could host the images and put them all up at the same time it would be more organized. Instead of people just posting them as they finish and having things get lost on the forum).

And so I think wips are fine. Hey, so they steal an idea. We'll just see what happens. It would be obvious, but even if two did end up similar, leave it be. You're doing it for yourself, so you don't really have to protect your idea. Just know yourself that it's yours.

My thoughts (disorganized as they may be some times)

goodlag
12-28-2001, 01:54 AM
i want see that wip or no wip

:p sorry my english

Psy
12-28-2001, 02:18 AM
Whats up with the ppl that don't want the WIP's shown? I don't quite get why they are so up in arms over it. This isn't meant to start a flame war or anything, I'm just at a loss to know why its such a bad idea.

btw, i voted yes.

Psy

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.