PDA

View Full Version : 'X Men 3' Hits History Books

RobertoOrtiz
05-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Quote:
""X Men 3: The Last Stand" took in almost $45 million on Friday and landed in the history books. It is now the second highest opener of all time, right behind "Star Wars: Attack of the Sith."

Insiders are predicting that the Brett Ratner directed third episode in the X Men trilogy could do as much as $150 million over the four day Memorial Day weekend. Word of mouth and "tracking" are so strong that "X Men 3," with no real rivals, should shatter all kinds of records by time the numbers are in officially on Tuesday."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197269,00.html

-R

kingmango
05-27-2006, 11:53 PM
So far everyone I know says it sucks big time :(

Was looking forward to it but maybe a matinee just to get the big screen effect of the CGFX.

Gehof
05-27-2006, 11:58 PM
After reading about how many people hated it, I had pretty low expectations and it pleasantly surprised me. It was at least entertaining, and the original two weren't all that great to begin with - at least in my book. They were above average but not anything super-special. The third was just another above average nothing special entry into an entertaining series with an interesting premise. The only thing missing in the 3rd installment is Ratner's ability to create any sort of empathy or even sympathy for the characters. That said, it's a nice continuation of a decent set of movies, and the FX were pretty cool.

pogonip
05-28-2006, 12:02 AM
It had all the elements of being a really good movie and just did'nt deliver ..except juggies classic line :applause:

John-S
05-28-2006, 01:06 AM
Its totally worth seeing. Its a good movie. Just not what it could have been. (not speaking with any comic book knowledge) I'm not a big Weta fan but they did a great job with some of the fx. I thought a couple of them were mind boggling. Some of them however seemed to be lacking and badly composited again. Overall, pretty good movie, best then most I've seen lately....just doesn't deliver the whole package that you want it to deliver and it stands out that its not the same directer.

See it and judge for yourself on the Big Screen : )
(it was true to stay after the credits for the extra scene so be sure to do that)

Also, its worth it for the New Superman Trailer on the Big Screen.

zeilstra999
05-28-2006, 01:06 AM
funny... I keep hearing from everyone that's seen it, that it was great. <shrugs> I dunno. I'm still going to see it.

TheOnlyWoj
05-28-2006, 01:10 AM
I HATED it. There is no story development and new characters are thrown in and disposed of at a moments notice when their character no longer serves the paper-thin plot.

John-S
05-28-2006, 01:43 AM
There is no story development really in this movie like stated but the story development was built in the first 2 movies. This movie is just about the war and characters that the first 2 movies left open. They do just shove it down your throat a little. Maybe if they would have not made it the shortest of the 3 movies (1hr 40mins) it would have been better. Plus, there is more to it then just killing off the characters, but I don't want to give the movie away.

Overall I see where The Only Woj is coming from, I just think there is a little more too it then that. Its definatly not a movie that I would agrue with people who say they don't like it, because all though I like it....I see thier points : )

JeroenDStout
05-28-2006, 01:44 AM
"Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitch!" somehow made the movie worth it...

mverta
05-28-2006, 02:07 AM
The fact that people are still willing to forgive nearly every blockbuster for failing on the most basic levels - that they allow themselves to find things to enjoy instead - shows the enduring relevance of movies in our lives. People are rooting for these movies to be great... even when they aren't... and they'll support them anyway.

There's a balance in there, somewhere... hopefully in the minds of next generation directors, the seed has been planted that it's better to have 200 killer VFX shots than 2000 spotty ones, and better to have characters people care about, than 120 minutes of explosions they don't. There's nothing new here - just hopefully a rediscovery of the basic elements of storytelling/filmmaking - the real reason movies have been around 100 years. It sure as hell isn't the character rigging that makes it - especially when your dentist can see it.

At some point, the frustration of sheer opportunities lost is what motivates a lot of people to join the game and show how it should've been done. I hope they see X-Men 3. And Spiderman 3. And Superman Returns.

_Mike

superhooman
05-28-2006, 02:10 AM
I'm not a big Weta fan but they did a great job with some of the fx.

so you "arent a big fan" of a company that constantly puts out world class fx work, often setting the new bar for the rest to follow? I love how everytime a company comes a long and puts out great work, it becomes fashionable for people to say they arent impressed. does it make you feel important and elite to tell everyone that you arent impressed? :rolleyes: i am no fanboy by any long shot but I give respect where it is deserved.

and at any rate, weta was just one of numerous studios that worked on this. how do you know what they even did? i think that all round all the studios who worked on it put out some great work. my favorite part was the confrontation between rogue and X, which I think was done by MPC in england - nice work!

I liked the film but I prefered the other two. its definitely worth seeing though.

I thought that da vinci code overtook star wars for top opener though?

mverta
05-28-2006, 02:15 AM
I think his comment, like yours, is oversimplifying - just from different directions. The vfx that finally appear on screen are the end result of a long, long, process, usually involving tons of people who have no business being in the chain. These shows with 2000 shots have sometimes amazing artists working under sometimes questionable direction, with little time, often in political situations where shots are constantly revised and revamped for arbitrary reasons by people looking to justify their positions. And sometimes they just need so many people that utter no-talents end up on the show.

If a company like WETA turns out more good work than spotty work it's probably good because yes, they have great artists, but also they're more isolated (left alone) and if the work is spotty it's usually because they're doing too much in a given timeframe. This, too, is nothing new, but the shot counts are only going up, and the inconsistencies are going up, too.

In the end, there is seldom a direct correlation between the talent of the artists, and the quality of the shots. Way too many chefs in the kitchen for that.

_Mike

brewski
05-28-2006, 02:16 AM
owso you "arent a big fan" of a company that constantly puts out world class fx work, often setting the new bar for the rest to follow? I love how everytime a company comes a long and puts out great work, it becomes fashionable for people to say they arent impressed. does it make you feel important and elite to tell everyone that you arent impressed? :rolleyes: i am no fanboy by any long shot but I give respect where it is deserved.

and at any rate, weta was just one of numerous studios that worked on this. how do you know what they even did? i think that all round all the studios who worked on it put out some great work. my favorite part was the confrontation between rogue and X, which I think was done by MPC in england - nice work!

I liked the film but I prefered the other two. its definitely worth seeing though.

I thought that da vinci code overtook star wars for top opener though?

dude good on ya u owned him soo bad . i thought the movie was good, fun to watch, but yeh it could have been alot better, it didnt feel like it really went any where. The golden gate bridge effects were amazing

superhooman
05-28-2006, 02:21 AM
I think his comment, like yours, is oversimplifying - just from different directions. The vfx that finally appear on screen are the end result of a long, long, process, usually involving tons of people who have no business being in the chain. These shows with 2000 shots have amazing artists working under sometimes questionable direction, with little time, often in political situations where shots are constantly revised and revamped for arbitrary reasons by people looking to justify their positions.

If a company like WETA turns out more good work than spotty work it's probably good because yes, they have great artists, but also they're more isolated (left alone) and if the work is spotty it's usually because they're doing too much in a given timeframe. This, too, is nothing new, but the shot counts are only going up, and the inconsistencies are going up, too.

In the end, there is seldom a direct correlation between the talent of the artists, and the quality of the shots. Way too many chefs in the kitchen for that.

_Mike

are you talking about my post? if so, i know all that, considering i work in this industry too. however, i disagree with your idea of why work would look good. no studio is ever left alone, no matter how geographically isolated they may be. i usually chalk up great work to having great vfx supervisors, especially in my own experience. in weta's case, they have joe letteri, who has an impressive track record of great vfx work. a great soup can get great results by properly motivating and leading a team of artists. however, of course i agree with you that a lack of time gets in the way most of the time, and that bad work is not generally because the artists are bad. but that's not really what i am talking about. i have seen time and time again on this forum where it becomes really fashionable and "cool" to say that a popular studios work is "meh" and i think people do it to make themselves feel important. i guess i am just getting tired of this self-appointed elitism.

CelticArtist
05-28-2006, 02:22 AM
The fact that people are still willing to forgive nearly every blockbuster for failing on the most basic levels - that they allow themselves to find things to enjoy instead - shows the enduring relevance of movies in our lives. People are rooting for these movies to be great... even when they aren't... and they'll support them anyway.

There's a balance in there, somewhere... hopefully in the minds of next generation directors, the seed has been planted that it's better to have 200 killer VFX shots than 2000 spotty ones, and better to have characters people care about, than 120 minutes of explosions they don't. There's nothing new here - just hopefully a rediscovery of the basic elements of storytelling/filmmaking - the real reason movies have been around 100 years. It sure as hell isn't the character rigging that makes it - especially when your dentist can see it.

At some point, the frustration of sheer opportunities lost is what motivates a lot of people to join the game and show how it should've been done. I hope they see X-Men 3. And Spiderman 3. And Superman Returns.

_Mike

Uhm....so are you saying that anyone who actually likes this film (myself included) is just seeing past the obvious failings? Or that this is a good version of what an fx film should be? i'm confused. If it's the first, you can go shove those pretentions somewhere dark, you don't get to tell people how they feel about something. If it's the second, I tend to agree with you. I really enjoyed x3, it has it's problems, and i'm not oblivious to them, but it is a fun movie, with alot of emotion, and alot of character developments that just make you feel happy inside as a comic fanboi.

I especially loved when Iceman became the true comic book iceman, everyone in the crowd did too, there were claps and cheers, all for that moment, it was a great moment.

chrisdejoya
05-28-2006, 02:22 AM
Enjoyed it, it was on par for the series, which was a string of underrated, just more than enough type films. I have to say for me and a lot of people I know, the cliffhanger from the last movie was what generated the most anticipation.

OT: Did Fox News just write "Attack of the Sith"? :)

JDex
05-28-2006, 02:27 AM
I've heard at least 15 negative reviews today from people who went and whom I tend to agree with on films, and not one good review. The fans and people who went for a popcorn film were both disapointed. Too bad, I'll catch it on HBO or something.

Crossing fingers that Superman Returns reaches it's potential.

leigh
05-28-2006, 02:31 AM
I felt a bit bad during the film when I found myself not really enjoying it all that much... and then afterwards, I turned to my friends and asked what they thought and they didn't really like it at all. I thought it had some good moments but overall I think it is my least favourite of the three. I think it was the casting that was its major redeeming factor - the actors were enjoyable to watch.

However I am not surprised that it had a big opening. I went to a midnight screening of it and the theatre was packed full of diehards who were dressed up. It made me realise that this franchise obviously has a massive cult following.

Out of interest though, I am sure I remember reading last week that The Da Vinci Code overtook Sith as having the biggest US opening weekend? Or does this just refer to opening day?

mverta
05-28-2006, 02:34 AM
i have seen time and time again on this forum where it becomes really fashionable and "cool" to say that a popular studios work is "meh" and i think people do it to make themselves feel important. i guess i am just getting tired of this self-appointed elitism.

ahh.. well, yes, that's a different point than I was addressing, but you're dead on about people in that regard. And for the reasons why, just pick up a Psychology 101 book. From the 1800's, for that matter.

I was talking about how it's very difficult to utterly lambast or utterly praise an fx facility based on the final product. You and I, and everyone who's worked on big shows, certainly knows that it's difficult to get the best work up there, especially when pressed for time. And even the best visual effects directors take orders which don't necessarily reflect well on the team. John Knoll, anyone?

_Mike

mverta
05-28-2006, 02:37 AM
OT: Did Fox News just write "Attack of the Sith"? :)

Yes. Speaks VOLUMES, doesn't it?

_Mike

storyForge
05-28-2006, 02:43 AM
the 45 million refers to the 2nd largest one day totals since revenge of the sith.

i saw teh movie, and i thought it was done fairly well. THe lack of character development was disappointing, as was the lack of emphasis on cyclops death... oh well i suppose. But thena gain, for all those that knew this was the third movie, does anyone recognize that this was actually the 3rd of 3 and alot of character dev has already been done? Anyway. good film, B or B- for me.

my .02.

kingmango
05-28-2006, 02:45 AM

_Mike
:applause:

kingmango
05-28-2006, 02:50 AM
as was the lack of emphasis on cyclops death...
nice ****ing spoiler... god damn you deserver a spanking.

Digit
05-28-2006, 03:13 AM
Out of interest though, I am sure I remember reading last week that The Da Vinci Code overtook Sith as having the biggest US opening weekend? Or does this just refer to opening day?

Da Vinci Code took the biggest international opening record, I believe.

smoothoperator
05-28-2006, 03:45 AM
Big fan of the comic series and I was dissapointed with the movies in general ( i have yet to see the 3rd one). I feel a movie doesn't allow enough time to put everything in. HENCE...my conclusion. Forget the big screen. Make it into a series on television. Only there can you have the time to develop the characters and enought time to translate the comic stories into it that gives it justic. I would pay to watch a good tv series of it instead of a one shot wonder movie.
My 2 cents. Do away with the expensive actors and big budget effects...heck tv shows can pull allot of fx off today. I don't see why it's not viable.
I'm surprised at the success too. I've heard bad revies on the net. I'll still watch it though. Maybe not on the big screen...not sure.

innermindseye
05-28-2006, 04:06 AM
nice ****ing spoiler... god damn you deserver a spanking.

yea smooth move ahole. i havnt seen it yet. guess i wnt bother.

John-S
05-28-2006, 04:25 AM
Its totally worth seeing. Its a good movie. Just not what it could have been. (not speaking with any comic book knowledge) I'm not a big Weta fan but they did a great job with some of the fx. I thought a couple of them were mind boggling. Some of them however seemed to be lacking and badly composited again. Overall, pretty good movie, best then most I've seen lately....just doesn't deliver the whole package that you want it to deliver and it stands out that its not the same directer.

See it and judge for yourself on the Big Screen : )
(it was true to stay after the credits for the extra scene so be sure to do that)

Also, its worth it for the New Superman Trailer on the Big Screen.

Ok, How the heck did that comment piss anybody off? I know that Weta was on the film because it was in huge letters at the end of the film. I'm not a fan of LOTR or Kong. I do respect them for a couple of the things they did in these movies though. Kong himself etc. I said in my comment that they had some mind boggling effects and that they did a good job with alot of this movie. However they or somebody did rush though a couple things that stood out. Regarless I was basicly praising them in my post.

I'm not making myself feel good about posting faults to a movie or am I trying to say the popular thing, I just wish maybe the deadlines were not so forced on the industry or something so that they would take a little more time and refine the parts that stand out to most. (refering to the dino stampede in Kong) Otherwise, I have everyright to my opinion and I'm not saying anything to be trendy or anything otherwise I wouldn't claim to not like LOTR or Kong. They just aren't my thing.

Maybe if Pixar would do a movie : ) (not a cartoon)

*****added*****
I'll probably get jumped on for this one but, I am a big ILM fan : ) I loved Sith!

superhooman
05-28-2006, 05:24 AM
Ok, How the heck did that comment piss anybody off? I know that Weta was on the film because it was in huge letters at the end of the film.

yeah but you made sure you say that they usually dont impress you (self-imposed elitism) and then you went on to say "they did a great job with some of the fx". Some of the fx? so you have some inside knowledge about what they did on the film then? considering how many studios worked on this film (i think i counted at least 10 during the credits), how do you know what weta did, and what the other studios did? and how can you know ALL of what weta did to be in a position to say that only some of their work on it was good?

I'll probably get jumped on for this one but, I am a big ILM fan : ) I loved Sith!

gee what a surprise. so i guess its never occured to you that due to the nomadic nature of the vfx industry, ILM and weta probably have a lot of the same artists and supervisors moving between them, from film to film (possibly a contributing factor to why both facilities consistently create groundbreaking work). get a clue before making broad statements. and i love how you just had to add that comment at the end of your post when it has absolutely no relevance to this subject. its always the george lucas fanboys that try pissing on weta, when the grand irony is that many of the same artists worked on lotr, kong and the last few star wars films.

strosek
05-28-2006, 05:40 AM
Word of mouth huh. It sucks Balls. If i ever saw the guy that made X-3 I would punch him in the face. and when the cops came I would tell them why I did it and jail time was worth it.

hellgatemedia
05-28-2006, 05:45 AM
I am a hardcore X-Men fanatic, and I absolutely LOVED this film. In fact, I felt of the entire series, it was the most faithful to the comics actually. it was my favorite. I cannot even BEGIN to understand how so many people had such a negative experience.
I could go on for hours about everything I enjoyed with this film.

Nice with the spoiler storyforge, umm, there's a way you can tuck the spoilers away, not everyone can see it opening weekend.

In fact, to even avoid the possibility, I'm not going to go into detail about what I liked specifically.

Layer01
05-28-2006, 06:07 AM
I am a hardcore X-Men fanatic, and I absolutely LOVED this film. In fact, I felt of the entire series, it was the most faithful to the comics actually. it was my favorite. I cannot even BEGIN to understand how so many people had such a negative experience.

I think the part where you say "I am a hardcore X-Men fanatic" and the rest of the world is not, pretty much sums up why most didnt like it.
I'd say the movie would be a good rental, a fun movie to watch on DVD when nothing else is on. in all other aspects it was a weak movie.

oh and how on earth did CelticArtist (member.php?u=24619) get that "spoiler, click here to reveal" thing??

DanVL
05-28-2006, 06:17 AM
I am sooooo fed up with those damn super hero movies. They're just the same boring recipe with different names. Really, I can't believe they cannot come up with something more original than taking the old ideas and branding them as new...

MallenLane
05-28-2006, 06:22 AM
What storyforge mentioned doesn't even really count as a spoiler...

amos_chid
05-28-2006, 07:29 AM
... as was the lack of emphasis on cyclops death...
awwww.... i plan to watch this movie tomorrow and i accidently read Storyforge comments :scream:
StoryForge you forgot to use the magic color :D

John-S
05-28-2006, 08:02 AM
Ok, if I would have said Weta did a superb job with parts of the film would you be questioning me "how do you know what parts they did"?

I like alot of the Animators etc from Weta. I like alot of the Animators from all the companys...big or small. Just because I say I'm not a big fan of the overall packages that were delivered from Weta doesn't mean I'm individually trying to insult people.

"Get a clue"? If you think I don't know that people work in multiple VFX houses in thier career then you are sadly mistaken. How come I can say I'm not a big fan of a director (any) and his past movies but I can't say this about VFX houses? I'm sure that crew for that director has also worked for another director thats movies I have enjoyed. Just cause I'm not a huge fan of a company doesn't mean I don't like the staff as individuals.

...and i love how you just had to add that comment at the end of your post when it has absolutely no relevance to this subject. its always the george lucas fanboys that try pissing on weta, when the grand irony is that many of the same artists worked on lotr, kong and the last few star wars films.

No Relevance?

so you "arent a big fan" of a company that constantly puts out world class fx work, often setting the new bar for the rest to follow? I love how everytime a company comes a long and puts out great work, it becomes fashionable for people to say they arent impressed. does it make you feel important and elite to tell everyone that you arent impressed?

That comment was the only reason I added that. I was just showing that I do like it when a company comes along and sets the standard for vfx work (not meaning that weta hasn't at points). I was ready to get jumped on for saying that because alot of people didn't like the fx for Sith and I did. I just got called a fanboy in the Pixar thread also recently for sticking up for a company that does great work with movies I enjoy. I don't think your comment is accurate since I do stick up for these companys.

Who said I was a big Lucas fanboy? I like Star Wars. Thats about the extent of it unless he had much to do with (other then creating the movies) the Indiana Jones Ride at Disneyland (I'm not an indi movie fan really either). I've never read Star Wars, I don't even know much about star wars other then I liked revenge of the sith alot. How is that fanboy? I like ILM and the movies they have done that changed the world of filmmaking. I mean compare the list of movies:

http://ilm.com/ilm_services.html

http://www.wetadigital.com/digital/company/filmography/

I know that weta will build up a fair share of movies that I like as they go but right now the only one on thier list that I fully enjoyed was irobot. Thats 1/9 movies. I'm not saying that the rest are aweful I'm just saying that their movies haven't been at the top of my lists in history. ILM to me was the one that made all this possible. They seemed to be the main ones behind all the Unbelievable FX for all these years. Weta, yes they created some Crazy Awesome stuff at points but nothing like the industry foundation that ILM has. Star Wars, Jurassic Park, etc. Even though Lucas is ILM doesn't mean I am thanking lucas for alll these movies as I'm sure he has nothing to do with them. Anyways, I gave weta credit when I thought they did some mind boggling fx (I'm sure when they start showing who did what in the magazines Weta will be behind the parts I'm refering too). I encouraged people to go see the movie, "best then most I've seen lately....", "its a good movie", "I'm not a big Weta fan but they did a great job with some of the fx. I thought a couple of them were mind boggling." . I said I'm not usually a big fan of thiers but this was good. I said some of the compositing was not the best....disagree? Then I said that I just wish these companys didn't have such crazy deadlines etc and they could probley iron out the wrinkles a little more. Is this so false?

Jeeze, I'm really sorry to all that are reading this stupid post of mine. All I was trying to do was make 1 post stating that I liked the FX for alot of it and to go see the movie. As usual, its turned around on me. I'm called a fanboy for liking Apple, I'm called a fanboy for liking Pixar, I'm called a fanboy for liking Star Wars and ILM (even though I'm not a huge star wars person), and then I'm slammed for just stating that I'm usually not a fan of weta movies, but this one was great minus a couple of scenes. Jeez if I stated I loved Weta I probably would be called a fanboy for that. But remember that this person who can't stand the fact that I said a negative about Weta and is NOT a Fanboy as he stated. That term is so silly....

superhooman
05-28-2006, 08:31 AM
what? so because you dont like a certain MOVIE, then you dont like the studio who happened to work on its visual effects.
visual effects, simply ONE component of the film making process that has nothing to do with storylines, casting, cinematography, etc. yeah, what a way to judge a vfx studio, because you dont like the FILMS they worked on. i have seen plenty of films that i have hated, yet i can still respect the vfx work on it, and the studios who worked on it. many bad films nevertheless have great work on them. and whether or not you liked kong or lotr, you cannot deny that weta did groundbreaking work on them. just like ilm have worked on many stinkers yet created great work in them.

at any rate, why are you posting lists of ilms work and weta? this isn't a competition, needless to say ilm have been around since the 70's. i think you are totally missing the point of what i am saying.

but whatever man. i am not going to carry on derailing this thread with this line of thought but you have a very strange way of deciding why and how you like things. i think you need to learn a little more about film making before you start making comments about visual effects studios.

and i still say you cannot judge any studios based on X3 either because you dont know who did what.

and maybe the reason why people jump down your throat on this forum is because you make broad statements that you cant back up. i saw you picking fights with people in apple threads as well so.... whatever floats your boat man. i still chalk it up to self-appoinited elitism.

peace out

mistrrhappy
05-28-2006, 08:32 AM
Overall, the feeling I got from X3 was: "If we had more time and money, we would really show you what you want to see." ***Spoilers follow***: 1. Phoenix "firebird" effects. 2. Sentinels in action, not in the shadows, being alluded to in the Danger Room. 3. Colussus vs. Juggernaut, no-holds-barred. 4. Iceman iced up throughout the action scenes, not just at the end of the film. 5. White Queen and the Hellfire Club. 6. Cyclops ending the final battle, not Wolverine. 7. Storm acting regal and elemental, not petulant. 8. Angel having an integral part in the story, not just meaningless cameos. 9. More X-Men, with better defined roles, period.

John-S
05-28-2006, 08:52 AM
When I say I like or don't like a film I'm refering to the VFX. I didn't think i had to bring that out since that was what our posts were based upon.

Where is your list of movies you've done that makes you understand the industry so much? What don't I understand about the industry? You didn't mention 1 thing that I didn't already know? Why should weta get an award for something and not ILM or the other way around since they all have had the same employees etc at points? Your logic makes no sense to me.

I never stated that Weta didn't ever do groundbreaking work on things. I never stated that I hated them. I never stated that I disliked thier employees individual work. I just stated that I wasn't a usually a fan of weta and I thought they did a good job on this movie minus a couple scenes.

I've read your posts also. You can't seem to stand it if anybody brings out faults in a movie that PJ or Weta has done (ironicly you also state that your not a fanboy yourself but if somebody backs up a lucas film like you are weta....fanboy pops out your mouth I'm sure). If you or Weta think what I said was bad then read a couple of negative reviews on a movie and then tell them they need to do thier homework. Does it take a chef to know if the food is any good? I guess its not about what the public thinks? However it seems to me that if everybody gives only praise to companys even though they had a couple doggy shots...that company will take longer to improve. I didn't make any broad statements that I can't back up, what are you talking about? You act like I stated that I can do a better job myself or something...I didn't. Jeeze thats the last time I encourage people to see a movie...how horrible of me. You say I'm picking fights and this thread is derailed...it is derailed but not because of me. I tried to encourage people to see the movie....Nothing more! Until I was picked at. I don't think most people gave a flying flip about me not being a prior fan to Weta.

BigJay
05-28-2006, 08:54 AM
to hide spoilers do this:

<spoiler>
Wolverine kills lots of people
</spoiler>

but replace the < with the bracket [.

as a mindless pop-corn movie it was fun. I thought they could of done something better with jean's make up. We get that she is evil her skin doesn't also have to turn black as well. Not a issue with the work but that someone couldn't find a cooler way to show her going evil.

As mentioned in some reviews they reversed Xavier's and magnito's roll. Xavier comes off much darker and evil. The constant dipomat suddenly turns into an evil SOB. Magnito actually makes sense... huh. The best parts of the previous movie was everyone's personality. Mystique who is my favorite character kind of lost something in Ratner's translation. Part of her charm and cool kind of disappear. When she is on screen you know something cool is going to happen. Here it's like huh, like any of that would stop her. All the personalities got watered down or dropped to move the plot along.

Besides the obvious stuff I guess after seeing the incredibles I kind of expect super heroes to really show off their powers. The dual should of been more than two beems hitting each other that's like so 90. A build up to meh!

I won't say more since I might give too much away. It's a mindless popcorn movie that is average. Nothing really had me going wow or that was cool and unexpected. Maybe they need to bring brad bird in to direct the next one.

John-S
05-28-2006, 09:00 AM
mistrrhappy, I agree (with most) especially the phoenix, angel and iceman parts you posted. Not to mention Rogue was not what I expected for the movie. (which i don't think you mentioned)

storyForge
05-28-2006, 09:34 AM
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry for the spoiler, i went back and fixed it in the right tags. See the movie still, it is seriously an underhighlighted event in teh movie and you its not really spoiling anythinga bout the plot.

LordMcGoat
05-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Where is your list of movies you've done that makes you understand the industry so much? What don't I understand about the industry? You didn't mention 1 thing that I didn't already know? Why should weta get an award for something and not ILM or the other way around since they all have had the same employees etc at points? Your logic makes no sense to me.

Doh, I think I just heard Milkman Dan's head explode with rage...

innermindseye
05-28-2006, 03:48 PM
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry for the spoiler, i went back and fixed it in the right tags. See the movie still, it is seriously an underhighlighted event in teh movie and you its not really spoiling anythinga bout the plot.

aah its cool. iv gone and read all the spoilers anyway. looks like i might b doing myself a favour by not seeing it. ill watch it on tv or dvd. (or hd-dvd)

Zephyrpower
05-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Ok, How the heck did that comment piss anybody off? I know that Weta was on the film because it was in huge letters at the end of the film. I'm not a fan of LOTR or Kong. I do respect them for a couple of the things they did in these movies though. Kong himself etc. I said in my comment that they had some mind boggling effects and that they did a good job with alot of this movie. However they or somebody did rush though a couple things that stood out. Regarless I was basicly praising them in my post.

I'm not making myself feel good about posting faults to a movie or am I trying to say the popular thing, I just wish maybe the deadlines were not so forced on the industry or something so that they would take a little more time and refine the parts that stand out to most. (refering to the dino stampede in Kong) Otherwise, I have everyright to my opinion and I'm not saying anything to be trendy or anything otherwise I wouldn't claim to not like LOTR or Kong. They just aren't my thing.

Maybe if Pixar would do a movie : ) (not a cartoon)

Wow, If Weta did the effects in those movies, then I'm Damn impressed! What do you mean by not being a fan? Do you mean you dislike their work or you just don't worship it? I think all their FX are pretty damn good from what I've seen, I also didn't see anything wrong with the FX on the Dinosaur stampede in Kong.

John-S
05-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Wow, If Weta did the effects in those movies, then I'm Damn impressed! What do you mean by not being a fan? Do you mean you dislike their work or you just don't worship it? I think all their FX are pretty damn good from what I've seen, I also didn't see anything wrong with the FX on the Dinosaur stampede in Kong.
I'm really not trying to say I dislike them, I would go more with the not worshiping statement. I get irratated when I'm into a movie, think the fx are going overall well and then suddenly you see screen bleeding though the girls hair, cheesy dino stampede etc. I liked the Jurassic Park Dinos more (although the scenes with the Raptor and Kong fighting were freakin awesome). Or the odvious keying shots and mattes. I really don't want to go out of my way and start pointing out each and every bad thing that Weta has done, that really was not what I wanted to do in the start here. I was just trying to say that the FX were good and to see the movie. The FX or story aren't perfect but no movie ever is, this one was pretty enjoyable IMO.

I know that Weta has done some amazing FX and I do praise them for the things they have pioneered in, its just I'm not a diehard fan of them. Pixar, yes. Every movie (cartoon) I'm amazed at what they bring to you. ILM, they have some cheeseballs but their pioneering work was more shocking then any you will ever see again. They were the ones replacing the models with CG before most thought it was possible etc. Although they aren't the pioneers that they used to be (CG is so advanced now that would be hard to do) I still end up liking thier movies that they do the fx for more then other companys.

I don't Hate Weta. I am a big fan of irobot and I added this (xmen) movie too my list (although I'm told I shouldn't be giving them credit or taking away since I don't know exactly what scenes they did). I am also looking very foward to Halo which will most likely add another movie to my list that I like of thiers. I am glad they are in the business, just haven't fully enjoyed a few that they have brought to the table because they didn't iron out the wrinkles of some of the fx for them and it stands out too me. That makes the movie not as enjoyable to me. But I also said that if they weren't killed with deadlines etc then they probably wouldn't have a few of these problems. I'm not a Weta hater, just not a big fan.

Emmanuel
05-28-2006, 08:15 PM
I must say: X3 rocks so hard.
I am not an X-Men nerd, have maybe read two of the comics in 20 years, but remembered vaguely characters like Beast or Angel.
In my opinion, it was well balanced between nerdy and acceptable for a broader audience, not only fans.
I couldn't care less about a "Hellfire club", I was a bit irritated by Xavier's darker side, Wolverine's slashing of people and the Sentinels not actually beeing "in" the movie, but the Sentinels would not have fit in with the look of the X-Men-World, and probably it would have been better to leave them out, because without any real bakground, gigantic killer droids made no sense.
Also, Magneto's "What have I done" and "The pawns die first" is a bit problematic from the character development, because You'd think he'd need and take every mutant for his Brotherhood that he can get, to "waste" them like that makes no sense for someone who is normally rather cool and tactical.
That he dropped Mystique was also pretty strange after all she did for him.
But that's forgettable issues, it was just a comic adaption, and I wanted to see more mutants, more powers, a darker storyline, Dark Phoenix (who's birth is pretty unspectacular), and of course more Wolverine, and the movie delivered it all.
The audience was really happy with it, and I hope for the Wolverine spin-off.

Titus
05-28-2006, 08:28 PM
I also enjoyed the movie, fairly balanced. What happened to Prof X and the other mutants was a shock for me, it displayed a pargmatic Magneto. I can hardly see a spin off or a sequel with the appeareance of a vaccine.

John-S
05-28-2006, 09:30 PM
ok, how should I write spoilers? I did the spoiler quotes like someone posted earlier but it still revealed what I said in the wide open post? How can I do it like the post above this?

CelticArtist
05-28-2006, 09:32 PM
I also enjoyed the movie, fairly balanced. What happened to Prof X and the other mutants was a shock for me, it displayed a pargmatic Magneto. .

As a note for your spoiler, i forget where i read it, but they have already green-lit another sequel, and i'm assuming that you did not stay around for the end of the movie, after the credits. also, think of the source of your spoiler, where did they get it and who has it now? theres your answer for the improbability of a sequel because of that thing.

Oh, and...

I don't think Cyclops is dead, and we know Prof x is back, and Magneto is getting his powers back already, yah, there is going to be a sequel

JDex
05-28-2006, 09:33 PM
The spoiler tag is just like all of the other tags

[------][/------] instead of "------" use the word "spoiler".

John-S
05-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks JDex

Ok, 1. I was a little let down and wondering why they didn't show what happened to Cyclops. They said they think phoenix killed him and they started to show it but then that was the last you hear.....

At the end when they show magneto starting to regain his power arn't they basicly saying that all the mutants will get their power back and they don't need a vaccine becuase it will wear off? Or did I just make up a wierd story in my own head?

After the credits I was expecting a wolvereen hint since they stated that is the most likely spin off. Earlier in the movie they brought out that star trek guy (mind blank sorry) can switch into a different body I think so I was thinking he wasn't dead anyway. Which by the way....that whole scene in that house was AWESOME!!!

Although I think CelticArtist just said what I am.....

Xevious
05-29-2006, 12:01 AM
I liked the film but they could of easily added 30 minutes for character development.

There are 2 things that really bothered me.

1. Cyclops is underutilized (Again). That guy gets no respect

2. Spoiler WARNING- Highlight and SCROLL BELOW (I havent figured out the spoiler tags yet):

Here it is: Why did Magneto mistreat Mystique. In the comic book, Magneto is the villian but he does have a soul. He's supposed to be a conflicted man. In the movie, he's completely nihillistic.

tuna
05-29-2006, 12:22 AM
(I havent figured out the spoiler tags yet)

Click "quote" on someone who has used spoiler tags and the code itself will be there in front of you.

(click on spoilers to reveal an ancient pyramid!)

:twisted: :twisted:

Pent
05-29-2006, 12:25 AM
I enjoyed the movie alot, and being a hardcore comic fan, every scene was basically an adrenaline rush/nostalgia to seeing the live action after 10 years of being a fan, oh god it was so good... oh god.

TumikSmacker
05-29-2006, 12:32 AM
Quote:
""X Men 3: The Last Stand" took in almost $45 million on Friday and landed in the history books. It is now the second highest opener of all time, right behind "Star Wars: Attack of the Sith."

Insiders are predicting that the Brett Ratner directed third episode in the X Men trilogy could do as much as $150 million over the four day Memorial Day weekend. Word of mouth and "tracking" are so strong that "X Men 3," with no real rivals, should shatter all kinds of records by time the numbers are in officially on Tuesday."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197269,00.html

-R

So where can I see this "Star Wars: Attack of the Sith." movie? :P

JDex
05-29-2006, 12:34 AM
So where can I see this "Star Wars: Attack of the Sith." movie? :P

You can rent it at Ballbuster's, right next to "My Cousin Da Vinci Code" and "The Passion of Jesus Christ Superstar". :p

hiphopcr
05-29-2006, 12:49 AM
So what exactly are tracking numbers and what's with everyone spelling the "teh"?

taffy77
05-29-2006, 05:39 AM
Both MPC and CFC plus many other house did a ton of work on X3. Not sure of the numbers but I really think this film was a team effort of multple vfx houses to get this film ready on time. I know MPC were working alot longer on the film than other facility's.

Titus
05-29-2006, 05:39 AM
As a note for your spoiler, i forget where i read it, but they have already green-lit another sequel, and i'm assuming that you did not stay around for the end of the movie, after the credits.

Yes, I usually wait for the VFX credits but this time left the theater with some hurry :(.

also, think of the source of your spoiler, where did they get it and who has it now? theres your answer for the improbability of a sequel because of that thing.

You have a point here. There's also some logic in why they have a short scene with Cyclops.

Apoclypse
05-29-2006, 07:37 AM
Is it me or did wolverine turn pussy?

DAZZAN
05-29-2006, 03:10 PM
I must say: X3 rocks so hard.
I am not an X-Men nerd, have maybe read two of the comics in 20 years, but remembered vaguely characters like Beast or Angel.
In my opinion, it was well balanced between nerdy and acceptable for a broader audience, not only fans.
I couldn't care less about a "Hellfire club", I was a bit irritated by Xavier's darker side, Wolverine's slashing of people and the Sentinels not actually beeing "in" the movie, but the Sentinels would not have fit in with the look of the X-Men-World, and probably it would have been better to leave them out, because without any real bakground, gigantic killer droids made no sense.
Also, Magneto's "What have I done" and "The pawns die first" is a bit problematic from the character development, because You'd think he'd need and take every mutant for his Brotherhood that he can get, to "waste" them like that makes no sense for someone who is normally rather cool and tactical.
That he dropped Mystique was also pretty strange after all she did for him.
But that's forgettable issues, it was just a comic adaption, and I wanted to see more mutants, more powers, a darker storyline, Dark Phoenix (who's birth is pretty unspectacular), and of course more Wolverine, and the movie delivered it all.
The audience was really happy with it, and I hope for the Wolverine spin-off.

Well being nealy 40, i have read all the x-men and own them from 68 onwards,of course i like them ,but the story is what drove these fx driven comics characters from the beggining,and that is why they are on the screen,i dont mind if they have to change size ,shape ,powers to fit into a film,of course they have to make chages,but story wize,adapting what was great from the comics,which was partly done to set up the phoenix,went down the route of Batman Forever,ok not that bad,but close.

i spent many a year of my youth watching marvel tv made movies through embaressed eyes,that now im almost spoilt every year,but not one has yet hit my button. Spidy 2 nearly did it for marvel,bb for dc,so hopefully new diectors will come through with new producers who want to make fan based comic adaptations like BatmanBegins,SinCity,300.etc

comics wont go away from the movies for a long time.

Concentration on script 1st rather than how is that effect done,and longer production time.

im glad that WATCHMEN is still on the backburner.if you take all the rest of the comic adaptations,that one is the one with a story that cries out for a director to cock up.

Other than the death of Batman,The Dark Knight Returns.

Give x-men ten years then come back fresh with new stories,i dont see why a franchise should die when they make 3,as there is so much material to use.

vlad74
05-29-2006, 03:51 PM
My own opinion - Absolute waste of time.

Viridian
05-29-2006, 04:35 PM
I get the feeling X3 was a very difficult thing to pull off; for writers, directors, and CG artists.

The more characters you have to work with, the less development time they get on-screen. Most movies feature around 3-7 characters. X3 had 13 by my count (Xavier, Magneto, Storm, Mystique, Callisto, Wolverine, Colossus, Iceman, Pyro, Kitty, Juggernaut, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Beast, and Angel). That's quite a challenge.

While a good bit of character development was done in the previous movies, the audience still desires to see advancement on all character fronts (be it good or bad), and there seems too little time to do this in any effective manner.

In addition, multiple story arcs complicated things. A typical movie features a main plot (external challenge), a sub-plot (internal challenge). X3 dealt with two major plots (War/Vaccine and the Dark Phoenix) and multiple sub-plots (love triangles, Scott's despair, Rogue's choice, etc.). The multiple plots advance the pacing to a frenzied state, desperately trying to keep things moving along at the required speed while not leaving the audience behind.

Add to that the huge number of CGI effects, and all the little touches put in to keep the fanboys happy.

There was just so much crammed into this movie that I am amazed it appeared in any coherent form at all. Leaving X3, I had the same feeling I did with X2; like I'd been in a whirlwind. I sometimes wonder if the X-series is an experiment to determine the maximum limits of human comprehension. :D

I do hope any further efforts in the series will focus on 3-5 characters at a time. I think then we'll get to see some real fireworks. Hey, and it'd be cheaper too. :)

Rick Flowers
05-29-2006, 09:02 PM
I am sick of people saying "yay comic book this comic book that" etc.. when I myself do not give a care for comic books. I just don't care how "true" to style or careless a movie can be to it's natural form for the sake of a comic series. I care about how entertaining and good the media itself is.
Anyway....

It was one of the most corny, laughable, poorly writen, thing, I've seen in a loong time.

Now, the action was great. Like a video game. (Though I've played better video games) But the movie was just shame.

Edit: Stop whining about spoilers. Who cares? it's not a great movie, or story. If you're a fan of the comic books or whatever, then you already know everything... so chill.

JeroenDStout
05-29-2006, 09:40 PM
I am sick of people saying "yay comic book this comic book that" etc.. when I myself do not give a care for comic books. I just don't care how "true" to style or careless a movie can be to it's natural form for the sake of a comic series. I care about how entertaining and good the media itself is.
Anyway....
That reminds me, I was discussing the film with a friend, about whether Kitty could become invisible, based on arguments from the film. So then we realised that, of course, that didn't make any sense what-so-ever, seeing as it's all 'name-a-particle'-science and things'd have to be in the comics to be factual.
Then again, in the comics everybody pretty much died all the time, came back, re-incarnated, had 38 seperate versions of their past.. so everything pretty much goes :P

Still. Kitty looks nice and wins over the Juggernaut. My friend and I could not argue over that*.

*Funfact: we could! But we didn't want to.

kingmango
05-31-2006, 12:35 AM
Whining about spoilers? It's common courtesy to use spoiler tags. In fact you should feel socially responsible to use them.

And just because I quit reading the comic at about issue 200 that means it's ok for everyone to start posting the major plot twists in bits and pieces until the movie holds absolutely no surprise for me?

dalmanna
05-31-2006, 12:53 AM
Whining about spoilers? It's common courtesy to use spoiler tags. In fact you should feel socially responsible to use them.

And just because I quit reading the comic at about issue 200 that means it's ok for everyone to start posting the major plot twists in bits and pieces until the movie holds absolutely no surprise for me?

you generally need a plot to have a plot twist so you may be suprised there. though i do agree about using spoiler tags.

CelticArtist
05-31-2006, 02:06 AM
you generally need a plot to have a plot twist so you may be suprised there. though i do agree about using spoiler tags.

I don't mean to flame, I just honestly wish to know if you and I saw the same movie? if anything X3 suffered from having too many plots.

Scandell
05-31-2006, 02:12 AM
Xmen3 was horrible...which is so disappointing to me...considering I loved Xmen2!

Question 1:
WHY SETUP JEAN GREY AS THE PHOENIX IN XMEN2...FAKE HER DEATH...HAVE CYCLOPS BE ALL BUMMED ABOUT IT....ONLY TO WATCH HER RESSURECT...HAVE SCOTT CHEER UP FOR A WHOLE 2 MINUTES...KILL SCOTT...KILL XAVIER...AND CONTINUE the REST OF HER USELESS/POINTLESS SCREEN LIFE...ONLY TO DIE A POINTLESS DEATH!??? Greeeeatt idea.

Question 2:
Why was Angel in the film at all?? He didn't join either side...and he was only in 4 minutes of the film! LAME!

Question 3:
Where the hell was nightcrawler??? He totally made Xmen2 so awesome...and having him be a continuued member of the team...would have made the team deeper...and with more variety. As it was...the team consisted of only two main personalities...Logan and Storm. (And Storm didn't add much to the movie at all!)

Question 4:
Iceman vs. Pryo sucked! Where was the the ice slide? Where was the intense battle!? All they did was lock beams for 3 minutes! They set up this rivalry and brotherly concern for one another in Xmen 2...only to have them lock beams? Lame. (Also...the iceman effect was horrible...he looked like ice metal man!)

Question:5: Why is Rogue still in these movies? She doesn't add anything. She only detracts from the plot.

That's my two cents

dalmanna
05-31-2006, 02:14 AM
I don't mean to flame, I just honestly wish to know if you and I saw the same movie? if anything X3 suffered from having too many plots.

i totally agree but not one of them can be considered a full plot they all felt too much like sub plots well to me any way.:shrug: like the film didn't know what it wanted to be. to be honest though i'm not the biggest comic book geek (as in i don't read them) so what i say means nothing it's just what i took from the film.

hiphopcr
05-31-2006, 02:32 AM
Xmen3 was horrible...which is so disappointing to me...considering I loved Xmen2!

Question 1:
WHY SETUP JEAN GREY AS THE PHOENIX IN XMEN2...

Question 2:
Why was Angel in the film at all?? He didn't join either side...

Question 3:
Where the hell was nightcrawler??? He totally made Xmen2 so awesome...

Question 4:
Iceman vs. Pryo sucked! Where was the the ice slide? Where was the intense battle!?...

Question:5: Why is Rogue still in these movies? She doesn't add anything....

Totally agree, I'm still angry when I think about it.

Question 6: Why take 50 years of comic books and try to cram a dozen half-baked, under developed storylines, and a couple dozen half-baked, under developed new (and boring) mutants into a 1 hour and 45 minute hodgepodge that ends the franchise?

kingmango
05-31-2006, 03:20 AM
Next preson who posts spoilers w/o using spoiler tags is getting a good old fashioned ass kicking.

I gotta stop reading this thread...

dax3d
05-31-2006, 03:22 AM
I totally agree with these points.

Other things annoyed me like when Juggernaut was chasing Kitty, and lost his powers. Um...he's not a mutant and wouldn't be affected by Leech.
Unless we're going Ultimate Xmen here or something.

I think Colossus is pointless in these movies. He has what, like 2 scenes? 1 line in the whole movie?

And come one! No Jean Grey turning into the Phoenix, and saying it's some sort of split personality??

I enjoyed some of the action, but having loved these comics since I was about 8...ugh.
The way they just killed people or gave them the cure like it was nothing. No real impact whatsoever.

hiphopcr
05-31-2006, 03:36 AM
I enjoyed some of the action, but having loved these comics since I was about 8...ugh. The way they just killed people or gave them the cure like it was nothing. No real impact whatsoever.
Right on point buddy! The film was just hollow.

And it wasn't just Colussus that got the short-end of the stick, pretty much every mutant besides Magneto, Wolverine, and Storm was an extra. Why even introduce Angel, Juggernaut, and Beast? Let alone those uninteresting goth kids hanging around Magneto.

ugh
Ugh

slaughters
05-31-2006, 04:36 AM
Whining about spoilers? It's common courtesy to use spoiler tags. In fact you should feel socially responsible to use them...Aren't you the one that quoted the actual spoiler on the first or second page so I read it in clear text before I even knew it was a spoiler?

Yep, I thought you did: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=3587325&postcount=23

Could you please go back and edit your response so you don't ruin it for others?

Kentaro
05-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Question 2:
Why was Angel in the film at all?? He didn't join either side...
-Angel did choose a side, he joined up the X-Men at the Xavier School of Gifted Students, didnt u see that part. Of course he wasnt ready to don on a X-Men suit and he flew from NY to CA quite fast. Super-Sonic speed like in the comic book(s). But he did join, and saved his father which shows he's a good X-Men. Trouble but good. They can add more to his story later on.

Question 3:
Where the hell was nightcrawler??? He totally made Xmen2 so awesome...
-If u play the game X-Men:Last Stand, you'll see what happened to Night Crawler.

Question 4:
Iceman vs. Pryo sucked! Where was the the ice slide? Where was the intense battle!?...
-I agree could have been a whole lot better.

Question:5: Why is Rogue still in these movies? She doesn't add anything?
-to please little boy X-Men fans, and teenagers. She's there for eye-candy.

Alot of what we were to see with Jean Grey being the Phoenix no doubt got lost in the translation of switching directors. I hate when a trilogy switches directors esp during the last film. Mr Singer left and 20th Century had to replace the director twice during pre-production. So that explains that.

They'll do another X-Men movie, they have to. Expect them to go the route of how Time Warner did: Batman Begins

Lets make some Un-Canny X-Men

slaughters
05-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Question 2:
Why was Angel in the film at all?....I guess both of you people really hate the use of the SPOILER tag.

This is the last time I even peek at this thread until I see the movie.

jewalker
05-31-2006, 10:09 PM
I'd like to know what people thought of the VFX? I've just read 5 pages of posts talking about the directing, writing, and lack of/plethora of plot twists/characters. How did the effects look? Convincing? Any shots stand out as being exceptional or substandard? Did they work well within the context of the movie? I'm waiting a couple of weeks to see this movie, but I'd still like to know what everyone thought.

Kentaro
06-01-2006, 12:02 AM
From movie goers. critics and cgi members here the special effects for X-Men III were pretty good. X-Men 2 had the cool special effects of Night Crawler, X-Men 3 had the cool effects of the Golden Gate Bridge and what Magneto was able to do with it.

There are some questionable scenes, but every movie has those. Over all I give X-Men a solid B+ for Special Effects.

I know people at my job that are still talking about that golden gate bridge scene. As well as people who left the movie.

Beasts was done perfect.

Halle Berry as Storm, beautiful as ever.

Magneto attacking the convoy hauling at the beginning was top notch as well.

Lots of stuff were cool to look at. Minor stuff still needed work.

zeilstra999
06-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Okay, I just saw this movie today and absolutely LOVED it. Had me on the edge of my seat pretty much the whole time.

I think there's a few things that people are forgeting to realize about the story. The first two movies were just the warm-up. They introduced the characters pretty well in those movies to be used in the third to have an amazing mutant vs. mutant battle.

I see people asking "What happened to Nightcrawler?" and then others saying "Why was so-and-so even in this movie? They barely had a part." Well, the first type of question would have happened even more if the characters from the 2nd question were just axed from the story, causing even more confusion and piss-and-moan rants from the fans. There are a few exceptions to these type of issues. Callisto being one of those issues. I never thought she should have been in the movie at all. I think Beast was introduced pretty well considering what they had to work with from the previous movies. I didn't mind the inclusion of Juggies and Multiple Man in there. They had small parts and their characters were utilized effectively in the scenes they were in. They served their purpose within Magneto's plot to eliminate the so called "cure".

Magneto wanted Homo-superior to thrive, not to be eliminated, so he used any means necessary to achieve his goal. Finding out that Jean was alive and kicking just added an ace up his sleeve for the war.

I think that people were so distracted by everything that was going on in the movie that the plot in my opinion was alot more complex than the plot in X2.

For those who hated the movie, I don't think you're looking at the bigger picture and meaning of the movie.

Also, to close this lovely rant...

In all adaptations, decisions have to be made to be more believable. Case and point... Phoenix. I didn't mind the origin change of the rise of Phoenix. I think it was completely appropriate so that people could believe it. If they had stuck with the original origin of Phoenix, the cosmic being possesing Jean Grey, the average person, especially those who don't follow the comics, would have been like "uhhhhh.... Okayyyyyy... That's a really long stretch." And they wouldn't have accepted the resurection. So the same can be said about many other aspects of the movies characters. I won't get into any others, as this is getting too long.

I hope my argument is valid and makes sense. I hope this will make others think about what they saw a little bit deeper and can change their opinion of this movie.

Oh, and Cyclops was always a wuss, even in the comics. lol

rblitz7
06-01-2006, 01:23 AM
I guess both of you people really hate the use of the SPOILER tag.

This is the last time I even peek at this thread until I see the movie.
haha its simple man... just dont even look here in the first place! get out and see the movie already! geesh:D

brewski
06-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Okay, I just saw this movie today and absolutely LOVED it. Had me on the edge of my seat pretty much the whole time.

I think there's a few things that people are forgeting to realize about the story. The first two movies were just the warm-up. They introduced the characters pretty well in those movies to be used in the third to have an amazing mutant vs. mutant battle.

I see people asking "What happened to Nightcrawler?" and then others saying "Why was so-and-so even in this movie? They barely had a part." Well, the first type of question would have happened even more if the characters from the 2nd question were just axed from the story, causing even more confusion and piss-and-moan rants from the fans. There are a few exceptions to these type of issues. Callisto being one of those issues. I never thought she should have been in the movie at all. I think Beast was introduced pretty well considering what they had to work with from the previous movies. I didn't mind the inclusion of Juggies and Multiple Man in there. They had small parts and their characters were utilized effectively in the scenes they were in. They served their purpose within Magneto's plot to eliminate the so called "cure".

Magneto wanted Homo-superior to thrive, not to be eliminated, so he used any means necessary to achieve his goal. Finding out that Jean was alive and kicking just added an ace up his sleeve for the war.

I think that people were so distracted by everything that was going on in the movie that the plot in my opinion was alot more complex than the plot in X2.

For those who hated the movie, I don't think you're looking at the bigger picture and meaning of the movie.

Also, to close this lovely rant...

In all adaptations, decisions have to be made to be more believable. Case and point... Phoenix. I didn't mind the origin change of the rise of Phoenix. I think it was completely appropriate so that people could believe it. If they had stuck with the original origin of Phoenix, the cosmic being possesing Jean Grey, the average person, especially those who don't follow the comics, would have been like "uhhhhh.... Okayyyyyy... That's a really long stretch." And they wouldn't have accepted the resurection. So the same can be said about many other aspects of the movies characters. I won't get into any others, as this is getting too long.

I hope my argument is valid and makes sense. I hope this will make others think about what they saw a little bit deeper and can change their opinion of this movie.

Oh, and Cyclops was always a wuss, even in the comics. lol

dude, thats all ur opinion, glad u liked the movie, but is was pretty simple. I didnt even relise there was a plot...cure...go to cure and kill cure...THE LAST STAND

zeilstra999
06-01-2006, 03:01 AM
dude, thats all ur opinion, glad u liked the movie, but is was pretty simple. I didnt even relise there was a plot...cure...go to cure and kill cure...THE LAST STAND

I don't think it was all that simple of a plot. It probably just seemed simple because it got buried underneath everything that was going on at the same time, but to the point where people are like, "It sucked big time!"? I mean come on, what were people expecting going into this movie? I've seen crappier movies than this one with larger plots.

To elaborate on the plot itself, there is a deeper meaning to the plot. It does have some issues that it touches on, which have been discussed in many of the interviews of the actors/writers/director. For instance, imagine that you're a minority, and someone created a "cure" to eliminate the particular attribute that makes you a minority. The thing about that attribute aslo makes you who you are. Would you want to change the way you are? Some people would. Others would fight to keep their defining attribute.

Granted the execution of this plot might have been simple but it does have a deeper meaning to it.

Like everyone else here, just my $0.02. Just trying to open up minds to the underlying issue.

clear
06-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Wow…

I just read through this entire post and still find that I am at a lost for words. Yet this much I can say; I personally was disappointed with the movie as a whole. It does have some of the makings of a really great film (and trilogy for that matter), but fell far short of realizing that potential. So much has been said about it already (ranging from story and plot too effects and box office figures), that anything I am likely to say now will be nothing more then repetitious ramblings. However they are still my repetitious ramblings which I desire to share with the public at large. And for those who wish not to read any spoilers, be for warned now that my post will be littered with them.

Usually I try to refrain from expressing my opinion about certain matters (especially when I realize that it will be of no real benefit to individuals as a whole). But this movie, for me, represented so many things and scores of unfulfilled expectations that it is only right and logical that I chime in my two cents (for all they are worth). I do have that much of a right, no? Anyway, the X-men trilogy really did try to accomplish something of a more lasting and endearing quality, but ultimately fall short of that goal; most of all X-3.

In the first installment of this series, we are introduced to the X-men universe with under rated fanfare and low-budget-esque restraints. The bases of who the X-men are, and what they were trying to accomplish, was outlined in this movie, but in a very cursory manner. A manner which is not as consistent or convincing in final form, as to be expected of a storyline with so much readily available and established myth. An example would be the feature films adaptation of certain characters as teenagers or young adolescents, when in fact their roles, and personal dynamics in the story, would have been far more effective if they were allowed to remain true to their comic book counterparts. With that said, the modernization of the films widely known attributes did not need that much in the way of reinterpretation because much of what the original comic books analogies and metaphors addressed during there time, are still very much contemporary issues of our day; if not on a national scale, surely on a global one. Further in trying to appeal to both fans and profits, the original director had the undue pressure of meshing together two very different aspirations of two very different paradigms with little money and time to properly appease both. Ultimately the movie was successful and very well received (with all things considered) and at the very least promised to get it right with time (and a bigger budget of course). Which brings us to X-2.

This for me was the best of the trilogy. It showcased a much more refined story line and actually accomplished to invoke empathy with a few of the characters (namely Nightcrawler and, to a lesser extent, the ongoing relationship(s) of and between Jean Grey/Cyclopes and Jean Grey/Wolverine). All and all the previous director was finding his stride and truly had something really good in his hands. But there is always a but. When he chose to introduce the Phoenix at the end of X-2 (and to this day I have no idea why), I believe he unwittingly unleashed something neither he (nor any subsequent director) could properly portray and adapt to film with out sacrificing quality, story, money, time or any of the aforementioned combined. And this I believe to be the true catalyst in why X-3, as both a movie and finale to a potentially awesome trilogy, was such a disappointment.

At first glance, the storyline for X-3 appears to be solid in form and function. We are presented with a very poignant snapshot of a kid (the Angel) trying to deal with a stigma he is obviously very ashamed of (in the only way he knows how), and seemingly sets the tone and pace of the movie to follow. From that point on the story is a bit sporadic and slow at times, but does present enough content to allow the viewer to suspend disbelief long enough to watch the next series of events unfold. Yet even as the plot(s) unfurls and the real story takes shape, that form and subsequent function becomes distorted and un-orderly. And at that point my attention span was utterly lost and I could no longer comfortably bath in the myth of the world. One such reason was the very Phoenix herself.

To this day, I have no idea what point or reason her character had for ever being included in the movie. Her presence did not advance the story in either direction and at best distracted from the more fundamental and truer message of the storyline (which I will state later). I admit that the Phoenix is an awesome character and an even more engaging force within the scope of the X-men comic books and Marvel universe. However, in this film adaptation, her purpose and meaning are never established or resolved. On the one hand you have a character with near limitless power and potential, and on the other you have an inner struggle between a rational human being and a chaotic force trying to exercise its will and existence through this character. Conversely the distinction between the Phoenix or Phoenix Force and the Dark Phoenix are never even entertained (but that is a whole other discussion). In any case, a grave imbalance is introduced into the plot with no real checks or balance to absolve the dilemma. Further, what needs to be understood (when telling a story based within any fantasy or myth), is that the moment you establish a hierarchal structure or system of class, order, etc., you must obey/respect said structure or risk loosing the very thing you aim to establish; and that is something believable (a convincing storyline in this case).

In X-3 you have Professor X who possesses both a vast intellect and incredible psychic abilities; Jean grey (now Phoenix for all intents and purposes) with powers on several orders of magnitude higher then that of the Professor; and the Wolverine, an often self absorbed loner character with highly evolved healing abilities and metal claws (not so psychic and no where near as powerful as the two previously mentioned individuals). Yet for some very peculiar reason, he has both the ability and resilience to not only withstand the onslaught of the Phoenix being, but seemingly kill her in the end of the movie (there by saving humanity from a most certain destruction) when Professor X could not? I am no rocket scientist and do not profess myself to be nothing above your average childhood comic fan, but was that morsel of plot manipulation just a wee bit much to swallow and accept as truth, or rather a convincing resolution? Or how about the fact that you have the individual struggles of personable characters, mixed with a threat to the existence of these characters from a seemingly miraculous cure-all-discovery compounded by an even greater threat from the aforementioned Phoenix entity, all mixed up in one two hour package? Talk about sensory and information overload.

X-3's primary objective was designed to be a modern commentary on current issues facing our world today (albeit one done through a film adaptation of a comic book franchise). The current script writers and film director chose to utilize the powerful analogy of mutants struggle for existence or acceptance (with that of humanities struggle to accept or destroy them) to echo everything going on now in or modern world. From global terrorism, religious intolerance, socioeconomic classicism etc., too the greater responsibility of government and its role in the midst of it all. Ultimately the creators, and those responsible for the development and final presentation of this movie, really had an opportunity to make something truly great while simultaneously paying proper homage to the legacy and essence of the X-men world (which some how managed all these years to confront or address the caveats of contemporary society regardless of certain cheesy or profit driven inconsistencies). Sadly (in my opinion of course), this particular film falls short of fulfilling that great and ongoing ideal. Not to the sole disgrace or actions of the few responsible for this film in particular, but the whole franchise as a whole. After all it was the fans of this great series who defined its true relevance and ongoing popularity amidst sometimes more appealing and entertaining media targeting them. And if what they considered important or essential to the story was not even taken into account or properly addressed, then this movie truly is an opportunity lost. Not because it won't be successful by box office standards or because of critical acclaim (it's to well known and established of a presence to fail in those respects solely), but because within the scope of a super hero based movie, it had the opportunity to rise above the normality of its genera, and redefine how the world at large interprets and view movies like it. And it simply did not cut it.

In the end this is all my opinion (and Thank God for that…lol). I am happy that the movie was made and did appeal to others even though I am not one of them. In regards to all the effects teams and production houses who worked on this film (and films like it), they have my unmerited favor and most profound respect. Being someone who works within this part of the entertainment industry, I am fully aware of the politics and obstacles faced over the course of a production. And no one movie or effect sequence(s) can truly define the capabilities or achievements of a particular group or individual. It is what we do as a whole, on a day-in and day-out basis, which defines our industry. And it is only getting better with time. Shot by shot, and effect by effect.

Thanks for reading my repetitious ramblings. I just hope my two cents did not cost you all to much of your time…lol

Regards,

T.D.

Ciao-

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2006, 08:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.