PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Visual effects dvd...

strangerthings
05-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Anyone bought this?

Any good?

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/236836

If so Anyone know where I get it elswhere? I am guessing not as it is Turbosquids own. But the shipping is $35 to the uk - the dvd is $60!

Neejoh
05-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Haha that's cool

That's a DVD by Allan McKay, a regular here at CGtalk and a god in the scene :)
I got the DVD myself and I still watch little bits of it every now and than. Personally I think it's one best DVD's out there. It's only available on TurboSquid and the shipping costs are pretty high outside of the USA, but it's worth every penny in my opinion.
Part 2 of the DVD is on it's way (again only @ TS). Allan already send in all the material, but TS is taking like forever to complete it.

geestring
05-30-2006, 03:48 PM
omg i splurged and bought the dvd. kind of expensive.

I hope i dont get slapped with duty and brokerage at the door.

strangerthings
05-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks. I will place an order now.

amckay
05-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks guys, yeah I have to say that was a big frustration for me that the shipping was so expensive. I don't really understand why it's so important to necessarily have international express mail, rather than 1 week or so shipping. I've been trying to get turbosquid to implemenent a cheaper option rather than forcing the most expensive shipping.

On a side note Advanced Visual Effects Vol 2 will be out in a few days. It's a bit shorter but a lot more cleanly recorded and edited, and covers a lot of scripting and other stuff.
Personally I recommend both, as the first one I think is the most bang for your buck anywhere, however the recording quality isn't the greatest. But it's something like 14 hours of video (!).

Thanks again guys!

-AM

Neejoh
05-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys, yeah I have to say that was a big frustration for me that the shipping was so expensive. I don't really understand why it's so important to necessarily have international express mail, rather than 1 week or so shipping. I've been trying to get turbosquid to implemenent a cheaper option rather than forcing the most expensive shipping.

On a side note Advanced Visual Effects Vol 2 will be out in a few days. It's a bit shorter but a lot more cleanly recorded and edited, and covers a lot of scripting and other stuff.
Personally I recommend both, as the first one I think is the most bang for your buck anywhere, however the recording quality isn't the greatest. But it's something like 14 hours of video (!).

Thanks again guys!

-AMThank us? Well, that's one way to put it :P I'm particularly interested in the scripted stuff so I can't wait 'til part deux.

strangerthings
06-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Ah the very man! Giz us a job... I could do that!

Nice I am glad I held off buying it a few days... welll I say glad...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3585522#post3585522

I'll get both at the same time ( they better not try and and charge $70 for delivery on 2 dvd's )

geestring
06-02-2006, 02:18 PM
eh. I ordered the dvd a week ago and still hasnt shipped.

amckay
06-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Hi guys, new DVD finally out (@#$#@) it's taken forever, but I'm sure you guys will be happy with the content. the screenshots on the site weren't chosen that well, but basically this covers a lot of scripting and advanced techniques, cool scripted crowds, advanced events and complicated scenarios. Cool shaders, compositing etc. Plenty o stuff.

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPrevi...x.cfm/ID/309665 (http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/309665)

Check it out - woo... 7 more hours of superman until my deadline, back to it!

-Allan McKay

PS. someone want to post it as a thread on cgtalk? I'll do it later today but kinda in a major crunch so see what happens, thanks guys!

Project 1: DNA Strand
ProjectOverview
Particle Flow Setup
Total Running Time: 19:03

Project 2: Point Fire
Project Overview
Particle Flow Setup
Digital Fusion Composite
Alternate Point Fire: Fire On Ground
Total Running Time: 19:58

Project 3: Oozing Lava
Project Overview
Particle Flow Setup Part 1
Particle Flow Setup Part 2
Materials Part 1
Materials Part 2
Lava Lights
Render Pass Setup
Digital Fusion Composite
Total Running Time: 1:19:40

Project 4: Barrel Splash
Project Overview
Particle Flow Setup
Using LockBond (PFlow Tools)
Splash Setup
Splash Material
Foam Setup
Foam Material
AfterBurn Setup
Digital Fusion Composite
Total Running Time: 1:57:53

Project 5: Icebergs
Project Overview
Particle Flow Setup Part 1
Particle Flow Setup Part 2
Total Running Time: 41:30

Project 6: Tank Explosion
Project Overview
AfterBurn Explosion Setup
Particle Flow Setup
Re-purpose of Preset (PFlow Tools)
Total Running Time: 1:08:30

Project 7: Particle Tanks
Project Overview
Particle Flow Setup
Using MAXScript to control the Tanks
Total Running Time: 26:05

geestring
06-05-2006, 06:07 PM
just got your first dvd.... im going to start watching it.

such a sexy accent. heh heh heh

Neejoh
06-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Well you should hear him brabble after a few pints of beer :thumbsup:

But I'm gonna place my order in a couple of hours Allan :)

amckay
06-06-2006, 08:05 PM
yeah few pints of tequila more like it :)

hitting vegas for the superman wrap party this weekend, think I'll be babbling by the end of that ;)

meers
06-08-2006, 04:39 AM
Hi there guys,

I brought the first advanced DVD a while ago. It rocks! Can't wait to get my hands on the new one...
Hey Alan if you're ever in Japan l'll buy you some Sake! That's the least l can do because your DVD's have helped me out.

Where are you based in Oz, by the way? I'm from Bendigo in Vic...living in Japan now though.

Anyway, take it easy all.

matt

amckay
06-08-2006, 11:53 PM
I'm in LA right now, my office is in Brisbane however spend a lot of time off site in melb and syd.

cheers mate!

-AM

meers
06-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Brizzy eh? Nice place that. Actually thinking of moving to there after my time here in Japan.

Bit cold in Vic during winter for my wife...

Now to convince my wife l need DVD number two!

have a good one!

matt

visualchaosfx
06-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Brizzy eh? Nice place that. Actually thinking of moving to there after my time here in Japan.

Bit cold in Vic during winter for my wife...

Now to convince my wife l need DVD number two!

have a good one!

matt

Whats it like in Japan? I've always wanted to visit there.

meers
06-10-2006, 12:30 AM
G'day,

Japan is an interesting country. Some people come here for six months and love it, others hate it. Tokyo is a vibrant city with anything you can think of from around the world. The only problem is the amount of people. I used to live in Tokyo, but now l live in the next prefecture called Chiba. It's only a 40min train ride to Tokyo though.
Most people ride the trains to work for an average of about an hour to get to work every morning. That's rush hour. (actually its about 2-3hours "rush hour"!).
Tokyo is like a melting pot of cultures from around the world. So it's interesting. Although it's not the real Japan. Kyoto is a nice place to go to see some really great temples and castles. You can almost feel the Samurai and Ninja's etc around those places.

Anyway, I've been here for just over ten years. It agrees with me, and disagrees in many ways too though. Love hate sort of thing l guess.
Hope that answers your question.

cheers

matt

strangerthings
06-16-2006, 09:14 AM
omg i splurged and bought the dvd. kind of expensive.
I hope i dont get slapped with duty and brokerage at the door.

I had not thought about that. The last time I bought a DVD from a smaller company - (i.e. not amazon USA) I ending up paying 20 on customs charges. The dvd was only $8!

CGTalk Moderation
06-16-2006, 09:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.