PDA

View Full Version : Dragon WIP

Coltzero
05-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Good day everyone. I've started this thread to lead you trough the process of my dragon.
Its actually not my dragon. A classmate of mine drew it and asked me to color it.
Here's the sketch.

Coltzero
05-27-2006, 08:40 PM
This is really the first time I do something like this and I could really use some advice from all the experts on the forum. I'm looking to set a really epic scene where this dragon sits on a rock with a sort of Mount Doom like setting as background.

I've started working on the wings and mouth. This is just a little testing of color, darker near the bones and lighter in the center (of the wings). Im not sure this is really the lighting i want, since chaotic, epic scenes ough to be dark and scary.
http://f5.putfile.com/5/14615395446.jpg

tuke
05-27-2006, 09:12 PM
So I have to wait for validatoin, so hopefully this'll get posted quick enough.

I took your WIP and put some suggestions directly in it using PhotoShop. Hope you don't mind but it's just a lot easier for me to convey anything I'd attempt to say, lol.

I first saw you wanted to incorporate the Mount Doom look, so I'd say stay smokey. Clouds that are like thick, heavy fire smoke, with maybe a few fire balls raining down from an off scene volcano (like 2 or 3 randomly placed). This'll give a really good scene for incorporating light rays where light permates the clouds etc. I put the source to the top left, behind, to give an "epic/sinister" look to it. This way you can keep it "dark" but will allow for some cool effects, such as the translucency of the wings, and glare off his body in general, and the cool hairy scales (unless I misinterpreted those) along his neck/spine.

That whole light idea can then finally hit that rock in some key areas... I don't know much about secondary lighting as far as how to correctly incorporate it, light bouncing from body part to body part (depending on how reflective his body is) and from environment to the character.

One thing though, that may or may not help promote the dragon, is maybe throwing in a tail to wrap back into the frame, or maybe a little more body before the rocks cover him up. To me, at least, it seems more cut off by the rocks than behind, though I also sort of see him on this steep inclining pinacle, where he's semi-sitting-climbing the side.

Hope this was constructive.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/8256/146153954461vh.jpg

aldog
05-27-2006, 09:55 PM
My first thought is that I think you should block in ALL of the color before starting on shading, just solid colors to get the base of the dragon, and then hide the layer with the drawing on it, put it on top and you can reference it the whole time when needed. bbut if you block in all of the color and then use low opacity/fill black to do the shading, and a low opacity/fill white to do the highlights, it will make it alot easier.
good start though very nice, i hope my advice helps

Coltzero
05-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Thanks aldog, your advice was most helpful. I decided to take a small step away from your suggestion and use a black 10% brush for the base and went over it again and again for the darker parts. For the brighter parts i used a 10% white brush.

http://f5.putfile.com/5/14619065072.jpg

GSmiley
05-28-2006, 01:06 AM
My sugestion to you would be set the pencil drawing on a higher level set to multiply, the block in dark color underneath that layer. Start with darker colors than you want in the final coloring, and don't leave any white so that you can clearly see how the colors look with each other. After that, use lighter highlight colors to highlight where you want. Working from dark to light helps get that dark picture that I think you are after. When you start with white and try to shade areas like in the last update, the image comes out looking overly light and doesn't have the right feel to it.

Coltzero
05-28-2006, 10:36 AM
So I have to wait for validatoin, so hopefully this'll get posted quick enough.

I took your WIP and put some suggestions directly in it using PhotoShop. Hope you don't mind but it's just a lot easier for me to convey anything I'd attempt to say, lol.

I first saw you wanted to incorporate the Mount Doom look, so I'd say stay smokey. Clouds that are like thick, heavy fire smoke, with maybe a few fire balls raining down from an off scene volcano (like 2 or 3 randomly placed). This'll give a really good scene for incorporating light rays where light permates the clouds etc. I put the source to the top left, behind, to give an "epic/sinister" look to it. This way you can keep it "dark" but will allow for some cool effects, such as the translucency of the wings, and glare off his body in general, and the cool hairy scales (unless I misinterpreted those) along his neck/spine.

That whole light idea can then finally hit that rock in some key areas... I don't know much about secondary lighting as far as how to correctly incorporate it, light bouncing from body part to body part (depending on how reflective his body is) and from environment to the character.

One thing though, that may or may not help promote the dragon, is maybe throwing in a tail to wrap back into the frame, or maybe a little more body before the rocks cover him up. To me, at least, it seems more cut off by the rocks than behind, though I also sort of see him on this steep inclining pinacle, where he's semi-sitting-climbing the side.

Hope this was constructive.

Thanks, too bad your post had to be checked first, so i couldn't take the liberty of replying to you first.

I like the idea, it gives the wings more illumination. But i was thinking of going darker, with the sun setting in the back, next to a lava spitting volcano.

My sugestion to you would be set the pencil drawing on a higher level set to multiply, the block in dark color underneath that layer. Start with darker colors than you want in the final coloring, and don't leave any white so that you can clearly see how the colors look with each other. After that, use lighter highlight colors to highlight where you want. Working from dark to light helps get that dark picture that I think you are after. When you start with white and try to shade areas like in the last update, the image comes out looking overly light and doesn't have the right feel to it.

Thanks, as i read it thats sort of what Aldog said, but then put in layman's terms.
I'm working on it now. I have the biggest difficulty finding the right colors (even though darker then should be)

Coltzero
05-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Focussing on another important factor: the forground.

As I stated earlier I want this to be an epic image. lots of boiling lava, falling rocks and thick black smoke.

I've used several google images as referrence to the lava.

http://f5.putfile.com/5/14708201085.jpg

Coltzero
05-28-2006, 05:55 PM
I've done some more touch ups on the lava and tried to find the right lighting for the set.
I tried to use this light, coming from behind the dragon. This would make the dragon fall away into the darkness too much:
http://f5.putfile.com/5/14712505143.jpg

So now im gonna rework the lighting. I dont think i'll have to change a lot on the forground since its already covered prity much in bright sliding goo.

GSmiley
06-04-2006, 01:19 AM
This is a much better start to coloring. Just remember if this dragon is that close to lava, it would be the main source of light, lighting the body and head from underneath. I like the of backlighting with the white to help define the edges of the shapes, but be careful with adding too much of it. You don't need a lot of that white light to be effective, just make sure it is falling on the shapes of the body in the right way. Like maybe not as much on bottom edges as the top edges of the wings and stuff. Much better start color-wise, good work.

CGTalk Moderation
06-04-2006, 01:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.