PDA

View Full Version : 'Repeat' problems with Compose...(?)

Joscci
05-27-2006, 05:23 AM
Hello Guys (and Gals?)... I'm currently working with clips and such in the Compose tab, but I'm having problems with repeating a clip. For some strange reason when I apply a clip to an object (say a Null) and activate repeat by way of the 'Time' parameter in the 'Clip Instance Block', the repeating occurs in a reversed fashion -- in other words, the clip plays backwards (while time moves forward, of course). If I set 'Time' to 0.0 (default), then the clip is applied in a forward fashion, but if I set 'Time' to 2.0 or above, then the clip is applied in a reversed fashion. (and if I set it to 1.0, nothing happens..).

Messiah's documentation mentions a 'reverse' option in Compose that supposedly when enabled, it'll play a clip in a reverse fashion, which would explain my problem. The problem is that this 'reverse' option is nowhere to be found?

In addition, I have to say that I continue to be puzzled as to the difference between the 'Repeat' parameter and the 'Time' parameter and how to make proper use of the two. Could someone elaborate or explain? I understand that the 'Time' parameter is animatable, if the 'Time' parameter now controls repeating, then what use is there for the 'Repeat' parameter itself? Finally, why must the number of actual repeats is 1 less than the number specified in the 'Time' parameter? (i.e. if Time=5, only 4 repeat cycles occur, etc)?

I'm pretty comfortable working with the features in the Compose mode, but this Repeat/Time stuff has always proved a bit frustrating for me.

Anyways... any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.

Joscci
06-01-2006, 02:29 AM
Well, thanks to the good folks at pmG, I completely understand the differences between 'Repeat' and the 'Time' parameters in Compose Mode in Messiah. I'm going to assume here because not one single person replied to my post (strange..), that nobody fully understands the difference and proper application of these two parameters. Or maybe you're all tired of hearing this question...(?).

Anyways, I've decided to share the details on using the 'Repeat' and 'Time' parameters in messiah. If you're interested... you can find them here:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=3599347&postcount=35

Cheers.

dobermunk
06-01-2006, 01:09 PM
thanks! This looks very helpful.

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2006, 01:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.