PDA

View Full Version : Harvest Season - A short by Chris Bacon

Chris Bacon
05-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Heres my Film, for anyone living in London, this and other films can be seen at our Degree Show

The Curzon Theatre,
99 Shaftesbury Avenue
London
W1D 5DY

it will be on the 20 June between 4PM and 6PM

Or if your closer to Hull

Derek Crothall Building
George Street
Kingston-Upon-Hull

This will be held on Saturday 3rd June 4:30PM

Theres animation of all types been shown from the Graduates of The Hull School of Art and Design, if you decide to have a look I hope you have a good time and I look forward to your opinions.

Anyway heres the link to my Film...Hope you enjoy and as always crit is more than welcome

EDIT: its a Divx codec

http://savefile.com/files/7277022 (http://savefile.com/files/7277022)

you click "DOWNLOAD" than once the window opens near the bottom of the page is some blue text saying Download File....or somthing to that end...click that to start download

OR, if you just want to watch and not download, theres this

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3919860243326866425

however its low quality video

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/Vivec1611/Intro.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/Vivec1611/wowowowowow.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/Vivec1611/End.jpg

thanks

Chris

Chris Bacon
05-27-2006, 01:08 PM
EDIT..........

Chris Bacon
05-27-2006, 10:28 PM
EDIT.......

HellBoy
05-27-2006, 11:43 PM
bloody hell, that pig noise scared me man, sh*t. That debth sound thing made me think that noise was coming from my left room

moush
05-28-2006, 05:50 AM
Hey Chris...cant seem to download the film...

When I click the 'DOWNLOAD' button, the same page seems to open again instead of starting the download....

FurnaceFace
05-28-2006, 06:22 AM
You have to click that button Moush and then another 'Start Download' link or something or other on that next page, I was confused for a while there too thinking it would auto start, they probably made the page like that so their ads start up longer hehe.

As to the short Vivec I like it, the animation is very nice. However I did notice the hands going through the main body of the apple in the starting shot in the tree, and I don't know if that was intended or not. Other than that the animation is really nice as I said, looks very good.

The pig thing looks a bit strange, I assume it's a pig. Looks a bit strange animation wise, I think I mainly noticed the mouth, the body movement is good but looks a little too clunky. No where near as fluid as the apple. But I figured that's just because you've focussed mainly on the apple, which is probably the much better option anyway as it's turned out really well.

Another thing is the story, I understand it a short, really a skill demonstration, but I don't understand why the apple would want to be in the truck? Why would an apple want to get picked? Hehe, perhaps I'm missing something there and he just wants to be with his inanimate friends :)

Obraxis
05-28-2006, 06:41 AM
Hey Chris...cant seem to download the film...

When I click the 'DOWNLOAD' button, the same page seems to open again instead of starting the download....

I get the same....

Nicool
05-28-2006, 09:21 AM
I can't acces your file even though I like to see your movie (maybe taht's why) :hmm:

Chris Bacon
05-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Rats...Ill sort it out

Chris Bacon
05-28-2006, 01:24 PM
try this

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3919860243326866425

its pixalated but you can just click and watch...Ill sort out a better quolity version as soon as possible

chris

Obraxis
05-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Hey man, the google link worked.

Overall its quite good. Animation overall is good, with a good sence of timing and weight and good secondary animation. Though there are a few poses that could have been stronger int eh start of the animation. I particularly liked the character's jumping with the elongated stretched-out legs - worked very well.

I did notice a single frame of white when he jumps down from the tree wich was slightly distracting.

I think my main problem is with the story. I dont think it's strong enough - it seems very light. I dont know how else to descrbe it. Left me wondering why he's running after the truck as he doesnt exactly show much emotion when it leaves without him. He just starts running. A shot of him lookign astonished would have helped I think, and personally I didnt like the music much - it got fairly repetative.

Hey - dont take my crit in a bad way. Just saying what I thought. Cool stuff.

jumbojimbo
05-28-2006, 05:11 PM
hey nice short, with some good animation, i particularly liked the subtle hand movements when he was hanging from the tree. As obraxis said the story was a bit weak and this doesnt help you emphasise with the character. Maybe you could have a shot of him looking at the truck from the tree and you see another apple sort of signalling to him (maybe a female apple??) just to give him some reason to wanna get on the truck. I also thought more could have been done with the ending, maybe once he finally gets into the truck it pans to the barn and you see its a cider making factory and the trucks taking the apples to get mushed up, with the end shot being his eyes floating in a pint of cider??? dunno just an idea lol. but a nice short with some good animation.

Chris Bacon
05-29-2006, 12:47 AM
Hey - dont take my crit in a bad way. Just saying what I thought. Cool stuff.

thats cool dude I want to know whats wrong with it. Im working on my reel now so Ill going over my animation again. Sorry about the story, it never has been a strengh but its something Im trying to work on....saying that I had ALOT of fun making this film so maybe Ill try make another one..

The original edit involved a shot where you saw LOTS of tree which were been harvested for there apples, and this paticular apple got left behind, hense his need to get with the others. but I cut it out because I had real problems with creating the enviroment.

My enphosis in this film was ALWAYS my animation, Im aware that storytelling can play a big part at certain studios. but I wanted to push my animation skill first, Maybe I should have stuck with a conventual reel instead of a short film, but I also wanted to work through the entier film process, Storyboard, Animatic, ect..so I when with a film...PLUS art direction would give me extra points when it came round to my assesment.

I realy feel that Ive grown as a artsit making this film, and my animation has definetly progressed, so maybe next time Ill be on a winner..

thanks for your advice and crit people.

chris

ivanisavich
05-29-2006, 01:39 AM
Hey man,

Congrats on finishing your film! I know how much work and motivation it can take to get one of those things out :D

Here are some mentionable things:

1) Animation was well-done in a couple of shots (mainly the run-up-to-the-truck-and-jump-inside shots), but in the rest of the film it lacked weight, strong poses and was pretty floaty (floaty as in always moving and unfocused). Try incorporating more moving holds into your slower shots, as opposed to having his body moving all the time (ie...the first shot's motion was pretty unfocused and floaty). Also, some parts were really jerky and the elbows/knees snapped a lot throughout.

2) Lighting was nearly non-existent. Even if you're not the world's next top lighter, I'd suggest getting a few lights in the scene to balance the ambient/key lights. Having it lit the way it is now makes it look very unfinished imo.

3) Story...which is probably the most important part when it comes to a short film....was completely non-existent. I agree with you about animation being the main focus...but there's really no point in making a short film if you're not going to put work into the story. What was the point of the pig scene? Why did he want to get in the truck? What happens after he gets in the truck? Imo...it ended very abruptly. I expected something cute like, him getting eaten after jumping in the truck (ie, his yearning to get to the truck led to his own demise)...or something else happening, but instead nothing happened and it left me feeling empty and unsatisfied.

Anywho...keep at it bro! Learning how to improve upon this film will only equip you with the things you need to make your next one better!

Chris Bacon
05-29-2006, 12:20 PM
(floaty as in always moving and unfocused). !

eek:sad: , that aint good, man I realy gota lot of work to do. Thanks for the advice, just have to work harder next time.

gatari
05-30-2006, 01:34 AM
Overall I was pleasantly surprised by your piece. I didn't have high hopes when i saw the screenshots, but it worked when it was moving. i think you animation was good, not great...but it takes a lot to be great in my eyes. I'm not sure i am even a good animator yet... but i'm trying.

I think your story was too long! There are a lot of shots that you can take out and/or quicken and get your point across much better. i would re-examine some of them to see if you are able to tell the same story by eliminating them or (better yet) shortening them. some to look at in particular are running sequences. one thing i noticed in my own work is that the audience doesn't need to be hand fed all your actions. it looks to me that you animated a lot of your story linearly, not leaving anything to the audience's imagination. although it is great practice to animate everything...chances are that your story will suffer.

your ending was a little weak too. i think something more can happen besides what we expect to. maybe the truck starts and he rolls out the back. it needs a little punch. also, try not to edit you animation to the music so much. getting the rights to that song would pretty hard. that is all... i know it is a lot and i know you put a lot of work into this. the best thing you can learn in your next steps is how to let go of work you've put into something that will ultimately make the whole thing better in the end.

good luck. feel like ripping into me? check out my thesis http://www.animike.com/fetch - let me know what you think.

mike

Chris Bacon
05-30-2006, 03:04 AM
thanks for the advice, hehe nice film, the more I read this thread the more Im REALY starting to think I finnished WAY to soon and Im regreting that....lol.....:cry:

as for things like Texturing and lighting, things that would make it more atractive, the simple fact is I JUST focused on my animation, and a problem I found with that was as I progressed I became better and shots thats arent very good like when the character wakes up I did at the begining of the project so by the time I finnished those begining shots wernt that good anymore, in my eyes anyway.

oh well, just have to learn from this and try again, hope I havnt put any of you off watching any work I may do in the future...(quietly walks to corner of room and sits at his laptop)

SO, Im just going to fucus on a animation reel realy get to grips with character acting,

thanks for the info everyone,

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2006, 03:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.