PDA

View Full Version : AM Sticky Door...

sburgoon
05-26-2006, 09:40 AM
So here is my latest AM assignment. I've decided to drop all my personal projects to just focus on AM for once, so this is after one night of work. There will probably be roughly 400 frames total, but I'm getting there. Anyway, critique away. I'll keep updating it as I go.

http://www.seanburgoon.com/movies/thumbs/stuck_door.jpg (http://www.seanburgoon.com/movies/Stuck%20Door%20-%20Refining2.mov)

sburgoon
05-28-2006, 05:01 AM
Updated with the newest version. This is the entire thing blocked out. Any comments welcome :)

dalmanna
05-28-2006, 07:57 AM
looks pretty sweet so far, can't see anything wrong with your blocking. :thumbsup:

Darknessseeker0
05-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey sburgoon, it's nice to see a fellow mentee here. ^-^ Ok, lets get down to buisness.

1. I'd remove the entire beginning part before Stewie opens the door. Having him look at his hand in unneccisary. If you want to put in some acting, ask yourself why he needs to open the door. Where is he coming from? Whats behind the door? How badly does he need to open the door? Ask youself those kind of questions and once you have the answer, put youself in Stewie's position. How would you approach the door if you knew that such and such was behind it? It's important to give him a reason for opening the door. If you do all of that, I'm certain you'll be able to come up with some acting to put in the beginning. Plus it'll contribute to the character and make more sense than what you have now.

2. Lose the pose on frame 117 when he looks at the camera. Please dont fall into the trap of having characters look at the audience. Keep Stewie focused on the door, we don't exist to him. Instead, you could have him pause and stare at the door knob like "Huh? What's going on?".

3. I think you can hold all of your poses where Stewie is actually pulling on the door longer. The longer the pose is held, the more force he seems to exert. Dont hold all of the poses for the same amount of time though. You could have the holds get longer as his pulling poses et more extreme. Dont over do it though.It's just that what you have right now it too fast and doesn't look like Stewie is trying as hard as he could be.

4. I think you could loose the end entirely. Having the character get angry and throwing the item that angered him is cliche now. It doesn't do anything for your shot anyway. Just focus on animating him struggling with the door. You can have him fall off and wobble, but have it stop there. Remember, the more extra stuff you put into the shot, the less time you'll have to make the actual assignment shine. I seriously recommend getting rid of all the extra animation that you have at the beginning and end, and focus on the actual assignment.

sburgoon
05-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the tips :) I'll definately look at changing the "camera takes" to have him look at something else instead. Probably just look at the door confused like you suggested. I also may cut the begining. I was trying to practice more subtle motions, but there really is no actual point to it, so we'll see. As for the end, I kind of want to keep it. It may be cliche, but it does "end" the animation, giving more of a punchline than just the nob coming off, and I told myself this time I wouldn't wuss out and cut things out from my original planning ;) I'll definately work on that antic last though, since you're right, I need to make sure the main assignment is looking as good as possible. Anyway, thanks for the critique, I appreciate it :)

-Sean

Amrit-Derhgawen
05-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Hey Sean,
I agree with Jocelyn! She is absolutely correct with her points. In addition to that, I would like to add one more thing. When he falls down he kinda tumbles down on the floor, and then suddenly he is sitting upright! How is it possible? Its just not looking correct to me. I'm sorry. Just make him lie down throughout the end. You don't need to add anything else! And that "OH GOD" type of pose at the end is just not making it too exciting to watch. Maybe I'm wrong, as I'm not a very good animator. I'm just telling you what I think is right. These are just my thoughts about it, nothing more, nothing less.
Otherwise, you're doing good. Good luck!:)

-A

anthea
05-29-2006, 04:03 PM
I agree with Jocelyn's comments as well. I think you can definitely come up with a better acting choice for your "late and in a hurry character" rather than looking at his watch. If someone is late and in a hurry and has an obstacle to overcome that would come out in the posing of your character and the way he motivates himself for the door. His attitude can symbolize all those things, I think resorting to the watch to symbolize time isn't the greatest decision. Maybe try some reference of go out and watch people in a public place like a bus stop or train station where they are running late.

Good luck, and keep up the good work!

sburgoon
06-01-2006, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the crits guys and gals :) I did a bunch more work and so here we go. Gonna update the initial post with the new link as well. Thanks again.

http://www.seanburgoon.com/movies/Stuck%20Door%20-%20Refining.mov

sburgoon
06-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Did some more substantial updates. Changed a couple sequences and reworked some of the timing. I've updated the original link, or you can check it out at http://www.seanburgoon.com/movies/Stuck%20Door%20-%20Refining2.mov. Any comments appreciated as always.

rickmann
06-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey sburgoon, I like everything except for the fall backwards the pause and then it just seems like he lies down, my suggestion would be just to have him fall backwards causing him to fall on his back shake it off and then sit up. Of course like anything, thats just my opinion!

CGTalk Moderation
06-11-2006, 06:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.