PDA

View Full Version : CNN: Hackers can crack top antivirus program (Symantec)

RobertoOrtiz
05-26-2006, 04:05 AM
Quote:
"Symantec Corp.'s leading antivirus software, which protects some of the world's largest corporations and U.S. government agencies, suffers from a flaw that lets hackers seize control of computers to steal sensitive data, delete files or implant malicious programs, researchers said Thursday."

>>LINK<< (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/internet/05/25/antivirus.flaw.ap/index.html)

-R

John-S
05-26-2006, 04:09 AM
I didn't have time to read that whole thing at cnn earlier but I thought they said that it hadn't been exploited yet anyways?

I've learned my brutal lesson with Norton anyways, never again will they get my money I hope!

SheepFactory
05-26-2006, 04:24 AM
Norton Antivirus is worse than most viruses in my experience. Never again will I install a norton product.

if you are in the market for a good virus software try out avast:

www.avast.com , its great and its free for home use.

John-S
05-26-2006, 05:01 AM
agreed! Might try that avast out when I get a chance : )

GreyWolf_OPS
05-26-2006, 06:14 AM
Sure took people long enough to reailze that the software was garbage, I have been saying it for @ least 5 years now. That and McAffe are the two biggest pieces of s&*t on the market. They were good programs in the early 90's but thats about it. There are so many better ones now.

And I love this part
The reported flaw comes at an awkward time for Symantec. Its chief executive, John Thompson, has campaigned in recent months to convince consumers they should trust Symantec -- not Microsoft Corp. -- to protect their personal information.

PhilOsirus
05-26-2006, 06:17 AM
Antivir (http://www.free-av.com/) is another great free anti-virus I have been using for a while.

jbo
05-26-2006, 06:18 AM
great, but have hackers figured out how to uninstall norton yet?

Zeddicus
05-26-2006, 06:57 AM
I've been happily using AVG Free (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1) for quite a while now and it's never let me down. I switched to it once it became clear that Norton was no longer working in the best interest of me, the user, and was becoming more and more bloated. Like someone said, it's as bad as a virus itself. Gets into everything on your system and usually slows it down. Was certainly noticeable anyways, hardly worth paying for. About the only good thing was that they tended to keep things fairly up to date definitions-wise, but AVG Free has been just as good in that regard with updates pretty much every morning, sometimes twice a day if needed. The program itself seems to be updated about once every month, or when a problem is found. If I needed it's more advanced features, I certainly would not hesitate to buy the full version seeing as it's not overly expensive. Not sure what the renew price is but I'd wager it's probably dirt cheap based on the current price for the full pro version ($38.95 US for two years).

Stahlberg
05-26-2006, 07:04 AM

Nearly snorted coffee :D

ChewyPixels
05-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Only used Norton many, many years ago...and only because it came pre-installed on the PC I purchased at the time.

Just another reason to stay away from Norton.

ThomasMahler
05-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Nearly snorted coffee :D

Heh, good one! :)

Edit: Thought I'd add something useful as well:

I'm using the F-Secure Anti-Virus Client for quite some time now and I've never been happier with a Virus Scanner. It doesn't eat a lot of ressources, it's quiet and has never let me down.

barbapapa
05-26-2006, 10:29 AM
so good alternatives are avast and Antvir?. i thought about kapersky, but read aswell that it slows down on system.Ive been reading about nod32 being really good and fast, good heuristics good virus detection, but i didnt know it before. What do you guys think about it (im sick of McAffe )

mech7
05-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Norton is one of the easiest antivirusses to fool.. encrypt / scramble files or disable it with buffer overflow.. Norton was a good product back in the day untill symantec had to destroy it, like they did with most applications they took over ;) Most of the people even have problems uninstalling norton properly.

lildragon
05-26-2006, 10:37 AM
I've been happily using AVG Free (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1) for quite a while now and it's never let me down.

Same here, and first thing I do with a new comp is uninstall Norton/McAffe, evil, evil apps.

cpan
05-26-2006, 11:01 AM
heck who uses norton nowdays anyway when there are so many better alternatives like bitdefender, nod32 and even free ones like avast :P

paulc
05-26-2006, 11:36 AM
heck who uses norton nowdays anyway
ERRRR.....I do, is it really that rubbish? I just bought whatever they had in PC world, it's funny I really thought Norton was quite good!? That'll teach me.

ThE_JacO
05-26-2006, 12:03 PM
ERRRR.....I do, is it really that rubbish? I just bought whatever they had in PC world, it's funny I really thought Norton was quite good!? That'll teach me.

installing Norton is possibly the number one worst thing some system-illiterate users do.
there's nothing wrong with not knowing, to a lot of people computers only serve a purpose, and these people are unconcerned with the mean.
This is the market Norton & Co. appeal to, but zoneAlarm virus protection (the firewall isn't as bad), Norton and mcf are some of the worst and most obtrusive protections you could load (not to mention ineffective and most exploited).
and then you have the whole issue about how they manage, thanks to windows flaws in those regards, to root so deeply in your system that it becomes near impossible to clean them out entirely, save for knowing your ways around and having a registry backup of the pre-install reg.

AVG + Kerio, with XPSP2 sorry attempt for a firewall down, are the best thing you can put on your box that are also user friendly and free.

Kanga
05-26-2006, 12:12 PM
great, but have hackers figured out how to uninstall norton yet? Nearly snorted coffee :D

I did!:scream:

flyingP
05-26-2006, 12:30 PM
I did!:scream:

hope you had the camera handy :D

blackrock
05-26-2006, 01:43 PM
so good alternatives are avast and Antvir?. i thought about kapersky, but read aswell that it slows down on system.Ive been reading about nod32 being really good and fast, good heuristics good virus detection, but i didnt know it before. What do you guys think about it (im sick of McAffe )

I have nod32 installed on my system and could not be more happy! I switched from Norton after attempting to upgrade to a new version of their software....let's just say 5 hours later I was not happy. Stay away from Norton and McAfee. The other suggestions in this thread are excellent and will serve you well. Also, look in "the most useful free downloads" (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=269503)thread for free anti-virus software.

PaulAdams
05-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Having read this thread and everyones opinions, I've now uninstalled Norton and just purchased Nod32.

NAV was really frustrating the way it would try and tunnel your access, it's Internet Security Worm "protection" drove me mad.

mech7
05-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Wise decision :D

Having read this thread and everyones opinions, I've now uninstalled Norton and just purchased Nod32.

NAV was really frustrating the way it would try and tunnel your access, it's Internet Security Worm "protection" drove me mad.

AdamHerbert
05-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Norton Antivirus is worse than most viruses in my experience. Never again will I install a norton product.

if you are in the market for a good virus software try out avast:

www.avast.com (http://www.avast.com) , its great and its free for home use.

Just got Avast! about a month ago and I love it! No more Norton bogging down my Workstation.

JosephGoss
05-26-2006, 03:46 PM
i have mcaffee, or whatever its called

it works really nicely,, not that obstructive at all.
whats wrong with it, a few people don't like , just woundering why

>jOe

PyRoT
05-26-2006, 04:42 PM
It's a shame that Google includes norton in their Google Pack

talos72
05-26-2006, 04:57 PM
I have been running McAffee one a couple of my machines for some years without much problem. I used to have Norton's but the damn thing would not let me run some of my softwares. It was like a prison warden....so I switched to McAffee.

I am sure there other bunch of other free antivirus progs out there now. Few years back you didn't have that many options.

tozz
05-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Tried alot of 'em, but nothing compares to NOD32. Not for me atleast. The scanner is almost 100% transparent for the user, even during heavy disk load.

John-S
05-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Problem with Mcafee is that I had that installed on a few of my pcs. Run perfectly, no problems. Then I started having alot of wierd computer problems for a long time. Decided maybe the mcafee isn't finding something....

Installed Norton. Norton Found a TON of Viruses in ALL of the Computers that had mcafee. So Norton saved the day.....until a few days of using it and learning what norton is like after the virus pulling : (

Xevious
05-26-2006, 06:57 PM
This thread is like a godsend to me. I recently am having trouble with my Norton Antivirus and I didn't know about the other programs. Thanks for info everyone!

psyop63b
05-26-2006, 07:02 PM
You gotta have a good firewall too! I use AVG antivirus since it seems so light on system resources, but you gotta have a good firewall to keep the badguys out to start with.

I don't really have a recommendation on a good free firewall app. Anyone have suggestions???

Lunatique
05-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Another AVG Free Edition user here. I have been using it for a while now and never had a problem with it. I just set it up to do everything by itself, and then I never have to think about it again.

I also use Norton System Works though, simply because I haven't found any alternative that does system diagnostics, backups..etc all in one. I use Ghost all the time to backup my stuff and I simply have gotten used to it.

Glenfx
05-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Just use firefox with the extensions "adblock" and "noscript" and youll be needing antiviruses no longer.

I personally felt that i was more secure without any antivirus than with norton XD

OH and never, NEVER purchase or use PANDA antivirus, uninstalling norton its a childs play compared to panda's uninstalling... actually you cant uninstall, if you want to get rid of it youll have to format your computer =P.

And if you need to uninstall applications or stuff, then use "youruninstaller2004 pro" it will uninstall the applications and then look for files left behind and also clean the registry after uninstalling.

GoranNF
05-27-2006, 01:14 PM
You gotta have a good firewall too! I use AVG antivirus since it seems so light on system resources, but you gotta have a good firewall to keep the badguys out to start with.

I don't really have a recommendation on a good free firewall app. Anyone have suggestions???

The best free firewall is Zonealarm:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=nav_za

josh3light
05-28-2006, 03:33 AM
I've been using sygate free personal firewall for years now, but symantec acquired sygate and don't offer the free personal firewall anymore...

I still have the installation file and still use it on all my machines, it is the best firewall I've ever used.. I guess it won't have any updates but it's never been a problem yet.

pixelmonk
05-29-2006, 02:12 PM
The best free firewall is Zonealarm:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=nav_za

nah.. not true.

mech7
05-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Yeah sygate was a great firewall.. its a shame they killed it.. it was muh better then their own and free :(

I've been using sygate free personal firewall for years now, but symantec acquired sygate and don't offer the free personal firewall anymore...

I still have the installation file and still use it on all my machines, it is the best firewall I've ever used.. I guess it won't have any updates but it's never been a problem yet.

General Midi
05-29-2006, 04:10 PM

Hear hear!
I have been comparing it to a virus for years. Screwed up my ENTIRE system 4 times.

Hear, hear, hear, hear HEAR! hahaha!
As I (a.o.) said, the darn thing IS a virus.

One more thing; get smart about browsing & downloading etc!

I have been working without a scanner for about 2 years now.

NO problems at all.

I only have Firefox & Google's taskbar to block popups.
Every once in a while I do a thorough online scan. Never had 1 virus sofar.

Everything works well, except for the fact my pc is archaic.:sad:

ThirdEye
05-29-2006, 04:29 PM
I have been comparing it to a virus for years. Screwed up my ENTIRE system 4 times.

"Fecking Norton, gimme back my recycle bin!!" :D

pgp_protector
05-29-2006, 04:43 PM
Same here, and first thing I do with a new comp is uninstall Norton/McAffe, evil, evil apps.
Me, I go one step further now whenever I buy a new system.

Get my XP Install disk, format & do a clean install.
AVG Free it great :)
These system they sell now adays are so bloated with garbage, My last system, I was able to free up over 6Gig of Storage by just removing the garbage that came with the system

DeadlyFreeze
05-29-2006, 05:15 PM
whew just a few nortan haters out there I see...

Nortan is just like every other app out their you have to curtail it to your own needs. My 2003 install has done right by me. Symantec just got it's head up it's own ass when they feel they need to pack 30 programs in to one 'suite'.

I would recommend anyone to snatch a copy of the 2003 install, smallest memory footprint I've ever seen when it comes to anti-virus apps.

madyak
05-29-2006, 05:29 PM
I recently switched to Kaspersky from NAV. I was doing a fresh build on a new drive so the timing was right (no worries about having to completely uninstall NAV). I felt like NAV was compromising my system stability while slowing things down.

It's been about a month and I'm quite pleased with Kaspersky. I run ZoneAlarm Pro for my software firewall and it seems to play nicely with Kaspersky.

Kaspersky is running on my workstation and I honestly think I can feel the difference... though to be fair, it is a fresh install so that may be some of it. My boot time is considerably shorter, apps seem to load faster and the system in general feels just a bit more responsive.

My wife's laptop is still running the Norton Internet Security Suite that came pre-installed and it seems just fine for the kind of day to day things that are done on it... checking email, browsing the web - light office stuff. However, even on this machine I've had to "fix" the system on three separate occasions because an NAV module had become corrupt or had not updated properly. On one occasion, it actually prevented the machine from shutting down properly until I was able to reinstall part of NAV. Not the end of the world on her laptop but not confidence inspiring on your bread-and-butter machine.

I'm in no position to say that Kaspersky is without flaw but I'm pleased with the switch.

PattyMelt
05-30-2006, 03:36 PM
I've been using Norton since last year and it's done its job well. If a program like Norton can be hacked, then what makes a 'free' app any different. I actually lost a computer(luckily it was a free dell p.o.s.) to spybot years ago. I trust Norton because there are techs on the other end who create updates every month or even every few weeks. It should matter about user preferences. I mean, no one program is absolute in perfection.

utchamp
05-30-2006, 04:52 PM
true true.,,

but since anyone can pretty much hack any program, i want a program that does not kill my computer and that i can easily remove.

another avg user here thumbs up so far [knock on wood]

i use opera as a web browser, much much much better that the generic ones.!!!

[recommend trying it--- it is free]

chinese_lover
05-30-2006, 09:34 PM
here is a list of the top anti-virus scanners out there for 2006,ummm norton made the list lol, http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
anyone know much about BitDefender,i see its tops on the list,good price,
http://www.hermanstreet.com/store/smarthtml/bitdefender-radio.html

noisewar
05-31-2006, 12:54 AM

That made my month. This stoopit grin isn't going away.

noisewar
05-31-2006, 12:56 AM
here is a list of the top anti-virus scanners out there for 2006,ummm norton made the list lol, http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
anyone know much about BitDefender,i see its tops on the list,good price,
http://www.hermanstreet.com/store/smarthtml/bitdefender-radio.html

Bitdefender is the best bang for your buck aside from Avast, which is free. I've used both. For emergencies, Kaspersky catches the most viruses period, but uses up CPU. Finally, Panda is worth looking at too, as it manages to catch what bitdefender doesn't, and UNLIKE norton, scans before installing.

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2006, 12:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.