PDA

View Full Version : Lybra's 2D Thread

Lybra
05-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Well well, I finally decided to make a 2D Thread and show some work.

Actually I was doing "a lot" (*cough*) of 3D stuff, before I decided to start drawing (and recognized that I should learn to draw first and getting into the anatomy stuff :scream: )

My current (and nearly first) work was actually planned as a 3D still.

here is the original, very rough sketch:

and what I'm currently on:

want to make her look scared of what is happening...

Any comments or help are welcome, I'll keep you updated :)

eishiya
05-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Nice so far, I can't wait to see how those hands will look. Looks pretty creepy already. All I can recommend now is to work at a higher resolution. It's usually difficult to paint detail at such a low resolution, especially the hair, which looks like it'll have a lot of detail. I'd recommend making it at least twice as big. If you don't want to work big the whole way or your computer can't handle it, make a copy of the section you want to work on, make it bigger, and work on just that, then shrink it and put it on the orginal. This really helps, since not all areas need a lot of detailing, so making the whole image bigger might cause unncecessary slowness, and it'll take up lots of space.

Lybra
05-26-2006, 12:51 AM
thank you eishiya! :)

the image of the sketch is resized at a lower resolution to show it here, the original size is 3400 x 4100 px (I hope this isn't too low res :D )

thx again!

TheFirstAngel
05-26-2006, 02:39 AM
a good thing is to do both. try understand what light does, its way over trough and back to shaders. once material is in your head, its like you are a rendering machine. light is the essence of all visable art.
mainly, light hitting skin first of all creates a litten area wich is light midtones. since skin is as well glossy and specular, it has many areas where it reacts different on light. 3d might help a lot to understand things like maps, bump, specularity, reflection, but lets start with something simple.

first is the base body, rough proportions, like standart primitives, that define the mass.
lets go a step further. muscles are displaced from the ruff blox, pits n bulges, sometimes linear along the body, sometimes wrapped around in l shapes, b shapes, basically, you can split any complex organic body into standart primitives wich helps :)

now back to shading, speaking on the lowest level of geomertical influence the skinrelief, the wrinkles, the cells themself, bump in 3d.
the influence it takes directly is the highlight. in general, where cels are concentrated like the nosetip, you got sharp highlights, on skinparts where cells are clearly visable, the specular highlight is broken and apears silky to velvetish, softer highlights.

what makes a body apear in the light is where it gets hit from it. take a billiard ball, it hits the surface, rebounces, thats what light does, so the body gets litten indirectional as well. this is one of the reasons why a body has very little black on it.

now on to shaders. skin is transluscent, basically, lets light enter and pass trough its surface on thinner parts, you can watch that effect as well on a candle for example or holding your hand in front of a lightsource. the light passing trough is rebouncing in your body, lets it apear slightly red. saturated.

lets take a white lightsource, where it hits directional, it will produce a neutral unsaturated light up. in case of reflection, the environment will take effect on the surface tone. and in case of inner bounces (subsurfacial scattering of light, short sss) it will produce saturated lightup. like a leaf against the sun :)

i always found it easier to render a person if i have a rough environment already, no matter how rough, helps to deciede on the tones added to the neutral color of the body itself, in 3d, diffuse color.

all this and more, is easy to understand with tests in 3d. 3d helps, to understand what light does. In painting, some things are very hard that easy in 3d. find a good angle, toggle the cam. lol, try that in 2d. make a shader. and cam effects are the last thing, that give the final polish. dephg of field, glow, motionblur, all of that are weapons of choice you can add a composition. dont drop 3d, start with simple things. try push both. 3d forces you to study any material. simulate it. understand it. watching it and study it helps you painting it.

and basically, human anatomy is something you can improve always - its something of the most complex i can think off. i am painting drawing and modeling since years. and i always have to repeat things, check again, tweak whats off.
a great help are the books from burne hogarth. try get those, they are kick ass. they explain in a great and esy understanble way the way things work together.

now for a bit of painting tricks. i love sculpt in grey, it also trows fears of changing parts overboard. a meduim grey is a great start to sculpt. white ads mass. black carves out. and once you know where your imaginary lightsource comes from, construct the shadows. save steps. if you cant get a part right, study Whats good and whats off.

and for painting techniques, some of the masters you should check: linda's tutorials are advanced and rock in general, http://www.furiae.com/

a master in use of light and achieving the feel with just a few strokes who is always inspiring to me again and again is craig mullins http://www.goodbrush.com/

if you get to painting humans, great series of tutorials you can look at from another great talent is Kyena's site, have a look at her tutorials as well http://www.tascha.ch/wordpress/

and to understand a few basic things in mass definition and surface topology, here's an older but still one of the best 3d tutorials for modeling a humanoid character :)http://mr2k.3dvf.net/tutorials/max/tutorials_joan.htm

hope that helps with getting a few helpfull inputs. hehe and dont worry, i am learnig every strok i do so keep on it and enjoy it. the sketch is very very lovely, looking forward on your rendering. keep it up

Lybra
05-26-2006, 03:24 PM
hey angel!

whoah! that's what I would call feedback :D

Thank you for your kind words, I will give you a more detailed reply when I have some more time, but it's kinda funny, that I nearly knew all the links you've posted...seems I had the right resources ^_^

here is another update (god damn, I'm working too slow):

I tried to get skintones which will fit better to the background...I hope I succeeded :)

cya soon!

secretasianman
05-27-2006, 08:52 AM
need to work on your facial anatomy a bit more.

th pose doesn't convey a "what the hell???" type of feel to it

Lybra
01-08-2007, 07:59 PM
long time no see!

Well, just want to reanimate this dead thread with a new project :)

Some sort of portrait, just for training again.

I guess there is a lot of work waiting for me :)

woox
01-08-2007, 08:19 PM
boa, great color and lightning! I'm a absolute beginner, but i think the bright side looks a bit flat.
go on like that!

Lybra
01-09-2007, 08:04 PM
thank you woox :)

yah the right side hadn't much attention from my side yet, will work on that soon.

Here is some update, not that much progress as I hadn't much time today.

http://bildupload.sro.at/a/images/indyport3.jpg

Thank you :)

Lybra
01-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Another Update, some feedback would be nice :D

http://bildupload.sro.at/a/images/1-indyport3.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-11-2007, 07:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.