PDA

View Full Version : tread animation - there has to be a better way

Ebola0001
05-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Hey guys Iím having a problem, I am trying to animate some tank treads, and what i have so far works (kind of). What I am using is a path deform and a spline. to animate the treads (over obstacles) I animate the points that make up the spline, however for the life of me i cannot get a decent track view of the animation keys for this.

Here is what I have

http://WWW.WOODRELL.COM/joe/galleon_drive_pic.jpg
Tank Tread Video (http://WWW.WOODRELL.COM/joe/galleon_drive2.avi)

I guess my question is whether the points of a spline can be linked to external helpers so I can animate them easier. Or is there an easier way to do this?

:)

Scott Harris
05-26-2006, 01:51 AM
there are atleast 20 tutorials about this very thing.
if i wasn't lazy I'd send you a link... but it souldn't be too hard to find.

goodluck

Ebola0001
05-26-2006, 04:49 AM
Oh, I also forgot ot mention. this is in 3DS MAX 6

All the tutorials I have found, and I have looked, are how to form the tread blocks into the chain to animate them going around their nice little track, undisturbed and pristine.... i got that.

What I need help with is either how to get a decent trackview of the points on a spline, or how to link those points to helper objects in orderto get a decent trackview... basically i need to be able to edit the keys for the points of the spline....

NeonGod
06-04-2006, 09:50 PM
you can add the "Spline IK Control Modifier" to the spline (at least I think that's what it's called). it creates helper objects at every point of the spline that you can then key&animate.

I hope this works for your spline. I used it on a dragon rig for a CG movie and it's real easy to handle - you can have a look at it on my website and even download the trailer *advertises* :-)

hope this works for ya, max6 rules!

CGTalk Moderation
06-04-2006, 09:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.