PDA

View Full Version : new texturing software

pandera
05-25-2006, 08:07 AM
ObjectPainter by cameleon-labs.com

www.cameleon-labs.com (http://www.cameleon-labs.com/)

Patricio
05-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Key ObjectPainter features are:

realtime preview in 3D for textures edited in Adobe Photoshop
realtime brush size and position view while painting
full support for all of the Photoshop tools and third party plug-ins
zoom, rotation and move in the 3D preview window
support for .3ds, .lwo, .xsi nad .obj 3D objects formats
Direct3D rendering engine with: Color/Diffuse, Bump, Luminosity, Specularity, Glossines, Reflections, Transparency, Refraction and Transluency channels
2 refresh modes: realtime and manual
two rendering modes: Texture effect and Texture pattern
object wireframe display on/off
UV mesh display on/off
compact display mode showing the 3D window only for space saving

lildragon
05-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Very cool, looks enticing.

Patricio
05-25-2006, 09:15 AM
http://www.cameleon-labs.com/images/op_scr1.jpg

More screenshots at

http://www.cameleon-labs.com/index.php?page=11

and video (mov)

http://www.cameleon-labs.com/files/1.mov

http://www.cameleon-labs.com/files/3.mov

mongrove
05-25-2006, 09:41 AM
beautiful integration

kursad_pileksuz
05-25-2006, 10:24 AM
i think it would be better if demo was not limited only the object that is provided by the company. We need to test the software un der different conditions

Patricio
05-25-2006, 10:30 AM
You're right, but the thing is that terefore you would be able to save the textures using Photoshop and it actually would be a full version :)

leigh
05-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Yeah but that's no way to efficiently and conclusively test a piece of software. That model is hardly a professional level model - the types of models I texture on a daily basis are complex, high resolution models. How can I judge whether or not this is a piece of software that will actually be useful to me if I cannot fully test it?

That's why many software trial versions are simply time-bombed, instead of functionally limited.

Patricio
05-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Actually you're right

JDex
05-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Time bomb it and limit it to saving one 4096x4096 image... then I can give it a real shake.

lildragon
05-25-2006, 12:26 PM
A 15 day time bomb would be benficial, 30 is too much simply because it's a small app doing mainly one thing. Also a limit on the output size to something like 512x512, so it really won't be useful for production, or just watermark the outputs?

Kudos!

JDex
05-25-2006, 12:43 PM
I'd want to be able to save at least one high-res image to test that the app can handle it.

DanSilverman
05-25-2006, 01:39 PM
I had trouble telling from their web site and videos, but does this app ONLY allow you to paint in the 2D view and NOT in the 3D view? In other words, is the 3D view ONLY for previewing the texture as you paint it in the 2D view?

Patricio
05-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Yes, you paint in PS and use PS as a Painting application and in Object Painter you preview all the changes automatically.

MattBirkett-Smith
05-25-2006, 02:35 PM
oh, so it works like this free thing?
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/rendering/misc/1506.html

Note I haven't actually tried this yet

TranquilBoy
05-25-2006, 03:01 PM
I had troubles with the realtime update as soon as I zoomed in Photoshop.
Also in other occasions it broke the link.
If this would not happen so frequently, I would certainly buy it.

Patricio
05-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Automatic mode works only if your texture is 100% size (not scaled)

The automatical refresh mode doesn't work if:

- object painer covers another window (from photoshop for example)
- textures i scaled
- you work in bump channel
- you work in uv mesh mode

In this situation you have to use Manual Refresh mode - last to icons on the toolbar.

See help for more

BazC
05-25-2006, 03:22 PM
I think you'll find UVmapper Pro will do more or less the same thing, plus uv mapping for less than half the price! Obj only though.

UVMapper Pro (http://www.uvmapper.com/photoshop.jpg)

Gwot
05-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Painting across UV seams in 3d is half the reason for painting in 3d. Wonder if it will ever have 3d paint... Normal map display in the 3d view would be cool too.

rimau
05-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi

Wow, nice to see some intrest :) I hope it will be OK to give some inside info ;)

We are thinking of the new demo, however we can not do any limitations on the output end as saving is in Photoshop anyway.. and the time bomb seems to be the best solution.. for crackers :(

speaking of ATR and UV Mapper as far as we know they don't have a real time 3d preview, just manual, please correct me if I'm wrong

The idea behind ObjectPainter was that everyone already usues Photoshop, so why not just give it a 3D view? The UV mapping also didn't catch up because if you can do a model than you have a 3D package, so you alreday have UV mapping tools.

We do have several ideas for the future but if you have any wishes...

Stefan-Morrell
05-25-2006, 04:38 PM
I think you'll find UVmapper Pro will do more or less the same thing, plus uv mapping for less than half the price! Obj only though.

UVMapper Pro (http://www.uvmapper.com/photoshop.jpg)

doesn't uv pro have a texture size limitation?..something like nothing larger than 1024x

& on that note does ObjectPainter have any size limitations?

TranquilBoy
05-25-2006, 06:12 PM
The current issues with the automatic refresh renders it almost useless for me.(doing texturing for games)
I could also hit save and see it refreshed in max or maya automaticly.

Patricio
05-25-2006, 06:14 PM
There are no limitations in the software everything depends on the gfx card you have.

On my laptop with ATI X700 I run 2048 with no problem, but I have limited ram so I don't load bigger ones.

On desktop we've been using 4096 and it's been ok.

Flog
05-25-2006, 06:27 PM
looks cool, what programs does it work with?

Patricio
05-25-2006, 06:38 PM
I've been just working with 4k textures on my lap and it works just great.

Gyuru
05-25-2006, 07:23 PM
I tested out the demo. Run with CS. I use a dell M60...Quadro FX700 go. Definitely the pixel shader 2.0 was too much for the ol Quadro. SO I turned it down to 1.4. Worked fine until you turned on Bump, and a couple other layers than color. Seems like a great idea on the way to happening. Will have to keep a eye out. It was in fact too sluggish at time to work...but probably the card's fault. And yes I had to manually refresh my render to work.

Patricio
05-25-2006, 07:28 PM
I tested out the demo. Run with CS. I use a dell M60...Quadro FX700 go. Definitely the pixel shader 2.0 was too much for the ol Quadro. SO I turned it down to 1.4. Worked fine until you turned on Bump, and a couple other layers than color. Seems like a great idea on the way to happening. Will have to keep a eye out. It was in fact too sluggish at time to work...but probably the card's fault. And yes I had to manually refresh my render to work.

In bump channel yoiu can't use Automatic Refresh Mode

BazC
05-25-2006, 09:15 PM
doesn't uv pro have a texture size limitation?..something like nothing larger than 1024x

Not that I'm aware of, I've never used it though, there's no Mac version! :(

leigh
05-26-2006, 01:11 AM
Painting across UV seams in 3d is half the reason for painting in 3d.

More like most of the reason to paint in 3D as opposed to just a 2D application. Frankly having read more about this software and read peoples comments about it, I don't honestly see how this software is particularly useful. It's far too limited.

inverse catheter
05-26-2006, 01:34 AM

took down the demo and had a look see .before i realised it were NOT a 3D painter ( foolishly jumped to the conclusion it was ) .so .in my opinion ( as always ) .and without intending any offence to the authors .you 've developed a mostly redundant piece of software

Gwot
05-26-2006, 01:36 AM
Heh, agreed Leigh - I'll be more assertive with my ratios next time. :D

I couldn't convince myself to download and install it after all. I love the idea of marrying photoshop with 3d but this needs more work.

Shade01
05-26-2006, 02:47 AM
How is this program better than Deep Paint?

visionmaster2
05-26-2006, 04:00 AM
working on 3d objects in photoshop, is what i 'am looking for. i'll download it !

:thumbsup:

Als
05-26-2006, 12:19 PM
If this allows you to paint in 3D, directly on 3D model, view with photoshop tools, that it's worth it.
Otherwise, it is usefull, but I think overpriced since it's similar what you already can do yourself with most of highend packages.
I could see it used maybe in big studio who buys workstations with photoshop licenses, but they don't have to buy any 3D software in order to texture 3D models.

Als

poly-phobic
05-26-2006, 12:49 PM
come on.. give the thing a break. its a useful software imo.

its relatively new, this is the first release...

its headed in the right direction.

ive seen more buggy POS software with less functionality, get support from people simply cuz its from some big shot company.

Tonedef
05-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Well, while I understand everyones love for 3d painting programs, not everything works too well in those...such as most non-organics. And such like gun models for games. I think this is a nice little feature, but I do agree that it is over priced. I mean, I half had expected it to be a free plugin if anything. But T.I.N.S.T.A.F.L.

Good work nonetheless :thumbsup:

b-cosmos
05-26-2006, 05:30 PM
This looks indeed quite promising. Positive things I can see about it:

- Light and simple. No need to learn yet another piece of software. Layers, channels, Photoshop, and that's it.
- .xsi format support.

The thing about some channels not updating automatically seems weird, though. This should be addressed first, IMHO.

Also, we must be able to test performance and the whole workflow, 3D app to Photoshop and back, in the demo version.

Als
05-26-2006, 06:17 PM
If it was around 80 then I would buy it straight away.
Even less would be even better.
With the lover price, I'm certain every 3D guy out there who uses phoshop would buy it.
Look for example hexagon!
This plugin has even wider audience!
I hope I don't sound harsh, this was not my intention, just my opinion.
It's great tool certainly!

Als

DanSilverman
05-27-2006, 05:19 AM
I can't see purchasing this. I can open MAX on one screen and then open Photoshop in the other. When I save in Photoshop the changes show up on the model in MAX. I suspect it is like this for most 3D apps (no?). If so, then any one working in 3D already has a similar set up via the tools they already own. If you have Deep Paint 3D, Body Paint or (now) Modo 201, then you definately don't need this.

As others were stating, if this tool allowed you to work on BOTH the 2D and 3D models (painting both) using all that Photoshop offers (i.e. 3D in Photoshop) then I would seriously consider this tool.

oxygencube
05-30-2006, 05:09 PM
:shrug: I use Maya and have dual monitors... I texture with Maya on one and PS on the other... I just activate my maya window and click on my custom shelf button.. "Update Photoshop Networks"
what more would this program offer?

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2006, 05:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.