PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Rigging Questions- Maya

rubble
05-25-2006, 07:03 AM
Hi,

I’m trying to rig a model in Maya.

My first question is how do I attach controls to the bones. I attached a parent constraint to the hip, and that works very well, but when I do this for the rest of the bones, it just stretches them. What am I doing wrong?

As for my arm setup, I have a 4 fingered hand (including thumb) where the wrist is attached to an IK arm. I can move the IK arm around, but I’d like to be able to rotate the hands if I wish.

Thanks

xenoid
05-25-2006, 05:50 PM
parentConstraint actually constraints both translation and rotation of the joints if you specify the default settings, which is why when you parentConstraint your joint to the controller, the joints will stretch (or rather translate) when you move your controllers. If you juz want to rotate your joints only, try using orientConstraints instead.

Same thing for the wrist. Set up a controller and parent the IK handle to the controller to allow translating the IK arm, and at the same time orientConstraint your wrist joint to the controller.

Hope that helps. :)

underearth
06-02-2006, 11:48 AM
if for some reason you want the controller to be not at that place use maintain offset while parent constraining...good option..

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2006, 11:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.