PDA

View Full Version : WIP fan piece, crits/help appreciated!

yueyume
05-25-2006, 03:13 AM
Hi, I'm working on a fan piece for an anime series, but I think I've been staring it so long that I don't trust my judgement on this anymore. :shrug: Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can improve this? Lighting/atmosphere/perspective/anatomy problems? I've taken some art classes outside of school, but unfortunately I can't have art as a major, so...I'm not sure I'm qualified to post here. heehe. I'd still really like to improve though...so if anyone has any input, I'd really appreciate it!

The idea is they're falling down, diving into some sort of digital world (the blue lines are going to be like the mesh of 3d models)... http://www.silveraine.net/tempstuff.jpg
Thanks for looking!

frostblade
05-25-2006, 03:42 AM
Maybe the background needs some more foundation work with perspective lines etc to correct stuff you might feel a bit iffy about painting.

More movement with the hair? The are falling right?

I think the guy's head could be too perpendicular on the neck.

Runecaster
05-25-2006, 03:54 AM
MOTOKO AND KUZE!! :bounce:

Fave show. EVER. Better than anything.

Rock on with your bad self for liking it, too.

You know, I recognized them straight out -- that's a good thing -- you have the faces pretty well matched up and that isn't easy to do.

I would say it's almost too early to crit, there is still so much for you to give attention to. Keep working on it and post away.

Good color choices :)

yueyume
05-27-2006, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the input! Yeah...I was going to have them look straight down, but it's a little odd now...

LM: Yeah, I had to draw a fan piece for the show. :D (And btw, I wish my pictures have as much flow to them as yours!)
Hmm, I cleaned up some stuff, painted the clouds and hair (wah! realistic hair is hard...I've always avoided it. This is about the 2nd time I've tried doing realistic hair, so please feel free to give any tips!).
http://www.silveraine.net/blah2.jpg

yueyume
06-05-2006, 06:23 AM
Bah. I haven't had much time lately to work on this picture (finals and all), but I got a chance to take a look at it today and his face just didn't look right to me. I can't for the life of me figure out why it doesn't look quite right. Can someone help take a look? http://www.silveraine.net/wthblah.jpg
It just feels...odd. I'll really appreciate any pointers!

Salubri3i
06-05-2006, 06:44 AM
I can't see anything wrong with the face construction. I think you should fix the way the hair falls though. The position of their heads tilting so far back like that... the hair should be falling down on the sides of their faces and over their shoulders.

You've got a good one here. :thumbsup:

Runecaster
06-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Well, Kuze is a little paler than that - and his eyes are maybe a little slimmer, but really, its very good. I like the clouds - and I agree about the hair falling down -- but then, this is Manga, and hair doesn't do natural things in Manga, so I wouldn't kill yourself over it. Keep posting! :)

yueyume
06-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Hmm, thanks guys :), maybe I've just been staring at it too much. :shrug: I'll work on the hair and eyes a bit.

Wow, I noticed you changed your username. I didn't know you could do that!

cuddlesmcsavage
06-05-2006, 07:00 PM
the first thing that i notice is that there is no movement, you should maybe paint in some motion blur, as right now it looks like foreground is falling onto them rather than perhaps the other way round. i really like the characters so far, as much as i dont like anime, i really like these, once you've built up the detail more they should look great!

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.