PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush .obj to xsi - displacement not working.

Deitycreations
05-25-2006, 12:28 AM
Hello everyone,

I am trying to render my models in xsi but for some reason the displacement map isnt working. i export the model from zbrush and export the displacement map with the R16 and flip vert on in the De-Exporter. I then go to xsi 5.0, import .obj and before clicking ok I go to the displacement option and load the .tif file. then hit ok. model loads I hit q and do a test render and. . . . nothing happens? just the low res model. is there more to this step?

sorry if this has been answered before. I got this when I went to search. :/

The CGSociety is currently undergoing
maintenance or backup and will be back online shortly.
Thank you for your continued support.

themick_g
05-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Hi,
Did you check the geometry approximation of your object? I always use
fine with a length of 0,001 .

http://pixologic.com/zbrush/class/zpipeline.html

mick

Deitycreations
05-26-2006, 05:51 PM
ya I done everything like Greg Punchatz, Sr has said in his tutorial and done step by step with arron sims dvd on creature building and am still getting horrid results. I dont get it. :\

Deitycreations
05-26-2006, 06:00 PM
ya I done everything like Greg Punchatz, Sr has said in his tutorial and done step by step with arron sims dvd on creature building and am still getting horrid results. I dont get it. :\

themick_g
05-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Try this code in the displacementexporter in z-brush
DE-HBEK-EAEAEA-D32, it works best for me
export your model in the lowest resolution from z-brush
import this obj, and in the obj import-window pick the generated map.
now it should work ?!
maybe you could post your z-brush viewport with the detail,your xsirender and the geometry-aprox-window in one pic.

mick

Deitycreations
05-26-2006, 06:07 PM
thanks for the info mick, I am going to try this after I type this. when I export the displacement map it gives me 2 maps, I think there two maps anyways. one is a d32 file and the other is a r16 file. I am using the r16 file for the disp map. am I doing it wrong? should I be using the d32 file? thanks again.

Deitycreations
05-26-2006, 06:55 PM
here is an image of what I done.
1. export the model
2. I put the model on high res then go back to low res. then set up the disp settings and hit create disp.
3. I click the disp in the alpha pallet and go up to De-Options and clicked R16 and turned on the vert flipp. this time I put in your code for the quick code. and hit export active set.
4. import the obj file
5.put in the disp file and turn on view dependent refinement and put in the alpha depth. hit ok
6. hit q and do a quick render and nothing shows up :\ I go to the settings with the start and end stuff and try and tweak it and it just makes it all worse.

am I doing this right? thanks for any help!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/DeityCreations/progress1.jpg

themick_g
05-27-2006, 08:47 AM
ok,think we found your problem!you don t have to use the displacement tab anymore,instead use the button CREATE ALL to create your displacement map.In the alpha tap enter 0,5 as alpha depth.I always use subpix of 2.You should get only one map.
When you import it into XSI forget about the alpha depth,leave the default value when importing, because its already 0,5 .....now everything should work.
tell me if not....
and if it works ,post a render here ;)
m

Deitycreations
05-27-2006, 04:35 PM
thanks a ton for the help! I appreciate it! it works :) the model I exported isnt finished and I exported the obj at 2000 pixols/polys what ever the obj is called haha. so it still lacks detail but still trying to figure everything out. now I just need to figure out how to re-apply the texture and render the animation out as a *.mov *.avi or *.mpg file. I rendered something out that was over 3 gb for 100 frames. so if you feel like helping me out on rendering it out as a video file that should be like 5-15 megs id appreciate that as well. ;) here is a still from the render region.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/DeityCreations/ef61141d.jpg

I dont remember if I turned the render region quility up or left it at I think 3. so that could be a reason why some detail is lost. but it works! thats all I care about haha. thanks again!

dwigfor
05-27-2006, 10:56 PM
"I rendered something out that was over 3 gb for 100 frames."

WOH! :eek: What format/size are you rendering?? TV res uncompressed with no alpha is ~1mb/frame. In order to get it down to 10-15 meg for the movie, you'll need to use a lossy codec, like QT:Sorenson3.

Deitycreations
05-28-2006, 12:34 AM
I know it was uncompressed but what format I dont know. it was ungodly though. I wish I would of kept the files though now that I seem to figure out how to save as a *.mov file.

CGTalk Moderation
05-28-2006, 12:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.