PDA

View Full Version : Everybody Loves a slinky

Frumsylgu
05-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Ok, here is something that I was thinking about just for the fun of it. How would you rig a slinky? Maya or Max, doesn't matter, I'm just talking about the theory of how to do it here. the first thing that came to mind was a simple ffd setup, but that wouldn't give you alot of control nor would it deform corectly. then I thought about a stretchy spline Ik with a bazzilion bones, I think this would get you closer, but i'm not sure how it would look and if it would be practical to deal with (though I don't think any setup is going to be easy to work with).

They did such a great job with the slinky dog in Toy Story (which is what got me thinking about this), you suppose they created a custom deformer?

feel free to through in your 2 cents worth.

~James

arctor
05-25-2006, 09:23 PM
build the geometry procedurally around a curve > as the curve changes so will your geometry

RyanT
05-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Well I thought I would give this a try since I think I can probably develop my spine setup a bit more by working on this. Here is a .avi of a spring. Not a slinky yet, but a fairly easy to animate spring.

www.rtrowbridge.com/Slinky.zip (http://www.rtrowbridge.com/Slinky.zip)

-RyanT

eek
tons of ways:

prcedurally

mathmatically

path deform

you could even infact use maxes own spring dynamic object. Id probably custom build the lot, maybe a mixture of splines, math etc.

CGTalk Moderation
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.