PDA

View Full Version : character design critique

narutorendan
05-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Hi, some time ago, I did a character and I was recomended to do a different composition for the character because you couldn't see how he looked overall as a character design. So I did the same character so you could see how he looks.

Any critiques, or anything would be very helpful, so I could improve this drawing. So if anybody has any spare time, could you tell me what I could do to improve?

If you would like to see my old one, you can see it in my portfolio.

oogieboogietoogie
05-25-2006, 02:31 AM
I like the colors ^^

It's a bit too blurry however, which makes it difficult to determine how the objects - the clothing, his hands, accessories - are located and how they are reacting to his movement. Also, it seems a bit too smudged, which adds to the difficulty in determining what he is doing.

Perhaps using a hard brush at higher saturation; even if its just for a sketch, it would be easier to tell what he's doing and to figure out the details in the image.

Keep up the good work :p

MattVogt
05-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Craig Mullins has a tutorial on edges and shadows
http://www.gfxartist.com/features/tutorials/974

I like how you've added some texture, the swirls on his leg and the detail on the sword. Look up how to draw cylinders in perspective - the handle isn't sitting right with me.

Keep at it

aldog
05-25-2006, 04:52 PM
To me it seems too busy
The bead like things coming from around his neck are kind of confusing, I'm not sure what they are or how they're sitting the way they are, it looks like he's moving back and to the right so the bead on the left side look correct but the beads on the right are confusing.
Also I don't know how the sword is floating like it is, it seems to far away from his waist to be holstered and it doesn't seem like a hand is holding it, the thing behind him looks like a sword as well which makes him look heavier because he would then be carrying 3 swords. the one in his mouth looks off because it would be so heavy that holding it straight using your teeth would be quite difficicult, also when I've seen people holding bladed objects in there mouths it's usually being held by the blade and is smaller, like a dagger, the legs also seem quite big.
what I do really like are the colors, quite a broad range, also the detail in the shirt part and the fluffy things and the gold on the legs, all well done

nebezial
05-25-2006, 04:55 PM
hmm it has serious potwential but not a s a design as much as a picture, as a design reminds me of sesshiomarru from inuyasha nice work

narutorendan
05-25-2006, 09:19 PM
ok, I'm going to try to update soon and see if the changes are actually doing more good than harm(or vice versa).

Oh, and nebezial, your art is incredible. I hope I can draw and paint as good as you someday.

Hmm, what's inuyasha like? I heard it's an anime, but never seen it. The only anime that I watch is Naruto, Doraemon, and Full metal alchemist. Is it good?

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2006, 09:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.