PDA

View Full Version : transfer strategy?

manuel
05-24-2006, 03:49 PM
A few months ago I replaced my old G4 with a glistening G5 Quad. I used the migration assistant to transfer my files, so the file structure on my new machine was virtually the same as it was on my old one. Despite this, EIAS cannot open any old projects without asking for the location of virtually every model and texture file. To top it off, it claims it can't find plug-ins like Encage and replaces it with a meaningless null. Programs like After Effects and Combustion are quite intelligent in finding files back, EIAS doesn't have any intelligence in that area whatsoever. As projects get bigger, this becomes a real problem I think.
Is there a strategy to avoid any of these problems?

halfworld
05-24-2006, 04:38 PM
I know it's untidy but keep all collected files in one folder (not in tidy sub folders) because EI wont find them anywhere else.

I have one giant messy file with practically every texture map I use inside it, when opening an old project i locate one texture in this file EI will look there for others before asking again(so there is a little bit of intelligence).

Search directories or a new file management system were a hot request in the EIAS 7 thread.

But like I said the best way to keep everything in check is just to do regular collections without creating model/texture folders.

As for plug-ins coming in as nulls, I've never had that problem.... Anyone else?

Ian

manuel
05-24-2006, 05:36 PM
EIAS claims that I don't have the right license for Encage when starting up (can't remember what the exact wording is). I can't even remember if other plug-ins do this, maybe its only Encage.
Yeah, I imagined that keeping all the files in one place was going to be the answer. I had already noticed that little bit of intelligence.
I see that in quite a few areas with EIAS. The tools are there, but the interface is lacking. Would be great if version 7 concentrated on those issues.

NorthernLights
05-25-2006, 02:46 PM
There could be a number of things going on here. IIRC the internal file path is a series of directory strings which include things like the harddrive name and IIRC the user name (that might be a Mach-O thing though). If something doesn't match up, the search fails.

Plugins and their associated .rsc files should really reside in the EI Sockets folder rather than in individual project folders (archiving is another matter) because in some cases the internal search says to look in that folder first. Some plugins might create auxilliary files such as preferences or authorization stuff.

As far as making a "Find all this stuff for me" feature, that tends to work on paper but in reality it could have some messy results.

manuel
05-25-2006, 02:57 PM
As far as making a "Find all this stuff for me" feature, that tends to work on paper but in reality it could have some messy results.
At the moment EIAS only looks at the absolute filepathname, it could try looking at the relative filepathname too. That is not exactly a fancy feature, but it would already solve a lot problems. As long as all the files are in the same place relative to each other, Animator should only have to ask for the first missing file.

halfworld
05-25-2006, 03:37 PM
I agree.

I'm also not sure we want a find everything feature, just the ability to define some search directories and have EI look in the sub-directories in the folder where the project resides.

Fairly mundane stuff that would really help a tonn.
Ian

bronco
05-25-2006, 11:35 PM
i don't know how long i beg for relative paths.
i can only assume that some internal camera voodoo prevents this from happening. other than that there is simply no excuse not to use relative paths.
search directories would be great.
over the years i have build quite a few textures that i use on a regular basis. now imagine that i could define a "common texture" folder somewhere on my HD and everytime i open an old project EIAS looks into this folder in addition for the current project folder hierarchie.

halfworld
05-26-2006, 07:56 AM
Yup, it's one of those areas in EI that is still very OS9.

But now we're on Mach-0SX, let's hope 7 brings change.....
Ian

Attached: On the Mac you can customise the Finder window (and open dialogue), it's a huge help... is there something like this you could do on a PC?

bronco
05-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Yup, it's one of those areas in EI that is still very OS9.

But now we're on Mach-0SX, let's hope 7 brings change.....
Ian

Attached: On the Mac you can customise the Finder window (and open dialogue), it's a huge help... is there something like this you could do on a PC?

no. maybe with some shareware or something. i don't know. i try the keep my machine as clean as possible from all this little "helpers". windows alone can be a !@*$&# :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-26-2006, 09:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.