PDA

View Full Version : Question about flat panels

MaDSheeP
01-09-2003, 04:06 AM
Alright, after finishing typing this post, I realized it was a bit long.. so... if you would like to know my life story and what made me start considering a flat screen monitor, read the entire post... or skim to the last paragraph.. and that is my overall question.... man I suck at summarizing ;)

I am looking at a few frivolous things to spend my money on...

the first was piecing together a home theatre... would total about $700-$900......
I just couldn’t get over how the entire purchase was just a toy, nothing practical about it, sometimes that is good, but not for that much money...

then I was thinking about getting a bunch of Gnomon training DVD's and actually 'learning' something, rather than having a new toy...

but back to the new toy part... i just saw the Samsung 191T at my local electronics store... and its about $750.... and it looks just stunning...

it doesn't flicker like a monitor... my eyes didn't go cross while looking at it...

but there are a few bumps to get over if i want to get a flat panel... I do have a DVI out on my GeForce 4, so that will help the clarity...

but I am not too happy about the 1280x1024 Max :(

but thinking back, my old Samsung CRT was 19inches also, and i ran that at 1280x960 and that worked pretty well...

I am buying this as a secondary monitor that will sit next to my 21" Cornerstone, the other 21" that I have I got on kinda a deal, it was about $500, but I couldn't believe how blurry the entire screen looked, it gave me head aches and convinced me I needed glasses... too bad about 6 months later I got my cornerstone and realized that I didn't need glasses, the monitor just sucked... goodbye return policy...

The Real Question:

in any case, I am wondering about your personal thoughts of 19" Digital LCD's... or just LCD's in all... did you used to have dual 21"s and switched and will never go back... or was the resolution a bit too much to get past... I am just wondering about people's thoughts on the subject :)

Thanks!

MaDSheeP
01-09-2003, 04:10 AM
or does anyone know of a good Digital LCD that runs at 1600x1200? :)

MaDSheeP
01-09-2003, 04:25 AM
and i believe i have found my monitor...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4105

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/images/products/large/320-4105.jpg

20.1" and 1600x1200... and only $900... i do have my tax return coming back.. i was planning on using that to buy a 750 XGL... but i can live with my video card if i can get a much better monitor with that money =)

CgFX
01-09-2003, 04:34 AM
Don't forget that computer CRT's are not bound by consumer TV regulations and are free to count inches of the CRT glass that are under the plastic.

This means that a computer CRT which is listed as 20 to 21" diag will really be 18-19" viewable in many of the worst cases.

This is not so with LCD where 19" of panel is 19" of panel. The image with this Samy 19" LCD should be bigger than the image that was on your 19" Samsung CRT. Not only was your Samsung CRT less than 19" viewable but the image certainly occupied even less than that with most user settings. My high-end 20" Sony CRT has only 19" diag of exposed glass and I currently have an 18" diag image displayed on it.

You should note that there is a significant price jump moving from 1280x1024 to 1600x1200 and beyond.

The industry is also very quickly heading towards 16:10 displays. As with Apple's newly introduced powerbook (and its predocessor) you will be seeing more and more 1600x1024 and 1920x1200 Wide LCDs in notebooks and on the desktop.

My all time favorite is the SGI 1600SW that is 1600x1024. You can find really good ones on ebay coupled with the SGI MultiLink adapter (makes the panel accept DVI and VGA instead of just LVDS). There are a number of new wide panels from Sony and Apple that have begun to exceed the SGI panel (circa 1999-2001) in performance.

Gyan
01-09-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by MaDSheeP
or does anyone know of a good Digital LCD that runs at 1600x1200? :)

Dell 2000FP to answer the above.

I just quickly perused through your post, so I might have missed something.

You mention you have a 21" and want to supplement it with a LCD. Which is what I'm doing currently with a 15" LCD.

Why do you want a 1600x1200 LCD ? Are you planning to run graphics work on both screens ? If not, 1280x1024 seems good enough to me.

MaDSheeP
01-09-2003, 04:56 AM
i won't be running graphics on the second monitor, but i will be tossing my Material window... script editors... probably an active render view onto the second monitor... so... it would be nice to have as much room as possible :)

:edit: doh! every time... Thanks for all the info FX!!

that is all very good news, since i am really looking into a flat panel... those were good things to know... tho....

think i should hold out for a wide screen display? =(

might be even longer to wait.. and my eyes are hating me now ;)

CgFX
01-09-2003, 05:29 AM
think i should hold out for a wide screen display? =(

might be even longer to wait.. and my eyes are hating me now ;)

It depends. :-)

If you are doing any HDTV or film content work then absolutely.

However, they will also carry more of a premium than the now mainstream and highest volume 1280x1024 panels.

GregHess
01-09-2003, 02:00 PM
I'll never go back to CRT's after working on LCD's. I swear its not just the flickering, but the fact that you don't have an electron gun pointed at your skull that makes them so much easier to work with.

MaDSheeP
01-09-2003, 03:28 PM
and with our resident expert Greg giving them an awesome mention... i am sold... :bounce:

MaDSheeP
01-09-2003, 03:56 PM
well.. i just found this on Visiontek's site....

i have a GeForce 4 4400 Visiontek....

Q. What is the max resolution that is supported through the DVI-I connector?
A: 1280x1024 (Non-Twin View Mode)

looks like i may be looking into a GeForce card with dual DVI connectors... since if i get a new one... with a VGA connector... i wouldn't be able to eventually upgrade my last monitor to a flat panel

well, i could but i have heared bad things about plugging a Digital LCD into a VGA out :(

GregHess
01-09-2003, 04:10 PM
Speaking of LCD's, my samsung 191T just arrived. Oh man it is sweet as hell. Its lighter then the viewsonic vg191B, and MUCH smaller! But it still has the same viewable screen area!!!!! Oh man. I wonder if I can sell the viewsonic for another samsung :).

CgFX
01-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by GregHess
I'll never go back to CRT's after working on LCD's. I swear its not just the flickering, but the fact that you don't have an electron gun pointed at your skull that makes them so much easier to work with.

But how will the gfx card vendors and CIA (via the internet) control your thoughts?

CgFX
01-09-2003, 04:45 PM
well.. i just found this on Visiontek's site....

i have a GeForce 4 4400 Visiontek....

Q. What is the max resolution that is supported through the DVI-I connector?
A: 1280x1024 (Non-Twin View Mode)

looks like i may be looking into a GeForce card with dual DVI connectors... since if i get a new one... with a VGA connector... i wouldn't be able to eventually upgrade my last monitor to a flat panel

well, i could but i have heared bad things about plugging a Digital LCD into a VGA out :(

I don't know of any GeForce cards with dual DVI. Just the Quadro 5x0 XGL and 9x0 XGL cards.

I think they announced dual-DVI with GeForce FX though.

MaDSheeP
01-09-2003, 04:57 PM
http://www.edharriss.com/review/geforce4_review.html

thats an idea... but to be honest.. i am now looking into laptops...

something a little more useful for school...

those dell ultrasharp monitors are nice :)

does anyone know how well those built in video cards work with maya? (the moble Radeon 9000 or the GF4 Togo)

will it crawl?

=(

CgFX
01-09-2003, 05:04 PM
[url]
does anyone know how well those built in video cards work with maya? (the moble Radeon 9000 or the GF4 Togo)

will it crawl?

=(
Dell's M50 (with the ultra sharp(tm) 1600x1200 display and Quadro4 gfx) is the king of workstation laptops and does really well with Maya. A good number of the A|W guys use the M40 or M50.

Fujistsu-Siemens has a tricked out workstation laptop with Quadro as well.

IBM and HP have workstation laptops that have ATI in them.

MaDSheeP
01-09-2003, 05:33 PM
mmm... i have seen that dell m50 before... looks damn nice... but its $2,900 for that model with 512 megs of ram... then again... its not like i would need to upgrade... hrmmm...

/me keeps digging around

Valkyrien
01-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Gyan
Why do you want a 1600x1200 LCD ? Are you planning to run graphics work on both screens ? If not, 1280x1024 seems good enough to me.

try 1280x960. Try looking at a circle in 1280x1024. You'll never get one unless it was an oval in proper aspect ratio.;) 1280x1024 just makes life more difficult. And 1600x1200 is a great res no matter what you're doing (unless you have bad eyes or something:surprised )

LeeTN
01-09-2003, 07:25 PM
The Gainward GeForce Ti4600 Ultra 750 xp has dual DVI. Also available in a Golden Sample variety for "safe" overclocking.

I have the 4200 Golden Sample overclocked to near 4600 speeds and I love it.

gustojunk
01-09-2003, 08:20 PM
Hi MadSheep,

I've also been looking to get a flat panel that runs 1600x1200 pixels. A friend of mine 'forced' me to try this resolution, which seemed odd at first, now I just can't go back to anything less. It's great for CAD work and graphics.

Anyway, I looked at the Dell, but I decided to pass because the brighness is not that great and I read also that has ghosting issues. About the price, what closely dells site as well as other sites that offer coupons for dells purchases and such. That single monitor goes from $99, to $850 to&899 and back to $999 all the time, I've been watching prices since January first and hat one motinor moves up and down like a stock ticker.

Ireally love the color quality of the Samsung 19T? but the only samsung that runs 1600X1200 is the 20" version, hoever I read in a pretty detailed review that you get a lot of hallos and artifacts when running 16000X1200 on a DVI conection, so that's not good.

Ialso looked at the viewsonic VX2000 on the store, and the colors really sucked (IMHO)

That leaves me with 2 canditates, "Mr. unknown" and "Mr. Pricey"
The former is the Planar PL201M, for which I could only find one review of cnet, and I think of cnet as a infomertial site, so I cannot really trust their judgment. This monitor has a great waranty and great specs and sell on Dell's website for $1300
The latter, Mr. Pricey, is the formac gallery 2010, now they have a special offer for $100 off, but still the price is a shocking $1599, I read many reviews and basically tghis seems to be THE LCD monitor.

I'm still waiting to see if after the CES show of this weekend prices scome down based on mew product introductions, in teh meantime I keep going back and forth between Mr unknown and Mr pricey :)

01-09-2003, 09:06 PM
Hey... I heard a while back that new LCD's were coming out that had faster response times... Are these new LCDs out? If so, what's the brand and their response time? Also in LCD specs, I've noticed that some has a fall/rise times and the two has different values. Which of these two should we be more concerned of and which of these correspond to "response time"?

I'm currently thinking of buying this CRT: Sony CPD-E440B Black 19" CRT Monitor Retail ($300) http://www.newegg.com/app/specification.asp?item=24-006-019

But I would consider an 18inch LCD if it has one a fast response time.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.