PDA

View Full Version : Problem transfering UVs

perpen
05-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Hi all,
I have model an alien in XSI 5.1, then exported to Modo using OBJ and work the UVs, then export as an OBJ and import in XSI again. When I copy+paste the UVs of the new imported mesh to the old mesh it works, but it looks really horrible, like the UVs were trying to connect between them...a real mess.

I didn't touch a thing of the mesh: didn't add anything, didn't remove anything, even didn't move anything but the UVs.

I am using Foundation, so no Gator available. The old mesh is rigged and ready to animate so use the new mesh is not an option. Also I have read several threads here, but most of them were solved with the copy+paste thing.

Thanks fro your time.

perpen
05-26-2006, 09:57 AM
This is a bit odd.

I have this alien(1) rigged, and I duplicate its mesh (alien2). Also I have imported (.OBJ) alien(3) with nice UVs in same scene.

If I copy+paste UVs from alien3 to alien2 it works perfect. But if I copy+paste UVs from alien3 to alien1 it all looks messed. And they are the same mesh!...in fact as I said alien2 is just a duplicate of alien1...

ThE_JacO
05-26-2006, 11:13 AM
OBJ will reorder the points and samples indexing according to its own workings.
XSI's internal ordering, after a modelling process, is not necessarily going to line up, which means the samples copy across fine because they are in the same count, but they will be scrambled because they will take positions of other points (you can tell because they are all in a position that makese sense but the connectivity will be scrambled).

this is something that also runs deeper, because if you were intending to transfer the other way things like envelopes, WMaps etc. would also be fubar.

to work it needs some form of spatial remapping (although 1by1 correspondance makes it trivial in this one special case), that is exactly what makes GATOR so useful.

if you have essentials or advance transfer your UVs with GATOR instead of trying a scrambled copyNpaste. If you are on foundation then I'm sure there's a script somewhere that can at least deal with this very simple case (by sample LUT).

perpen
05-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks very much Jaco...I will look for that script and stop wasting my time with the copy+paste in different ways...

m0rph
05-31-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't know if you've already fixed the problem, but I was having the same issue the other day and I couldn't get GATOR to transfer the UVs over, however I could get it to transfer the weights and shapes from the rigged version to the new one. Provided the .obj is in the same neutral pose that the rigged version was enveloped initially from.

All you have to do is get your imported version with the good UVs in exactly the same position as the rigged one, and hopefully it should be in the same pose as the neutral pose before the rigged one was enveloped. If not, save the weights, repose, remove envelope, and re-add envelope and reload the weights (via the Weight Editor window, with your geo selected, where it says File->Save/Load).

Once both the imported and rigged ones are in exactly the same pose -- and it doesn't really matter if it's *exactly*, but the closest, the better it'll work out -- you have to get GATOR to transfer the envelope weights and shape animation from the rigged one to the imported one. It should work just fine. Then freeze modeling and delete the geo of the old rigged one.

That should (theoretically) solve your problem. Worked for me at least. ;)

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2006, 09:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.