PDA

View Full Version : Jumper Question?

hamed
01-09-2003, 02:52 AM
Hi All,

I hear that adding incorrect jumper may cause damaging CPU & other parts of
board.Is this correct?How about changing Setup options?
which parts will effects ?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

GregHess
01-09-2003, 03:19 AM
1. Please indicate your motherboard.

2. Please indicate your cpu speed.

Bluplet
01-09-2003, 03:22 AM
Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, short the clear CMOS jumper while power is running through a motherboard. You'll be sorry! hehe

singularity2006
01-09-2003, 04:09 AM
u won't be sorry if ur lucky and have a gigabyte board w/ the backup CMOS just in case u fry the originlal. ^.^

hamed
01-09-2003, 04:12 AM
Main : ASUS A7N8X
CPU : Athlon XP 2200 +

hamed
01-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Ok.I'm brand new in assembling PC parts, Like: Mainboard Jumper,
CPU, Sepcially Setup,F-Disk, partition Hard ... etc. Is there any
way that I assemble all of them myself using any online help ,
Any tutorial CD... etc.

Looking for your help.

Bluplet
01-10-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by singularity2006
u won't be sorry if ur lucky and have a gigabyte board w/ the backup CMOS just in case u fry the originlal. ^.^

The backup won't be of any benefit if you can't turn the motherboard on in the first place! ;)

elvis
01-10-2003, 01:09 AM
modern day motherboards are typically soft-configured through your BIOS/CMOS.

read the motherboard manual for how to install the cpu and heatsink. take extra care with the heatsink on an AMD system and make sure the heatsink is ALWAYS level with the cpu. if you apply uneven pressure to the cpu you may crack the core, which means you will lose your warranty (AMD do not cover this any more) and the chip will be dead.

if you can get someone to help you with the physical install, do so. typically the shop you buy it from should install the cpu and heatsink for you at no extra cost, unless of course you buy it online.

once the system is put together physically, set all of the jumpers to "auto" or "soft mode" or whatever they call it these days. the system will boot and detect the settings it needs.

it's difficult to "fry" a motherboard these days with everything set up for automatic detection. if you do something wrong typically the system will just not boot, rather than blow up in a cloud of smoke.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.