PDA

View Full Version : 3DSMAX Eye rig question

Greyfox
05-24-2006, 06:34 AM
Hi,

How do you rig an eye so you can just animate the texture with a control dummy or bones or something so you don't have to create a round sphere with a lookat constraint?
I've seen game developers do this since they are always limited to low poly count.

Can anyone share this technique? Thanks :)

WGerick
05-25-2006, 03:47 PM
My first guess would be, to use the texture coordinates. Your diffuse map channel in the material editor has UV - Offset and angles. You could wire them to the rotation values of a dummy object. However, you should think about your UV - Layout. Since these offsets manipulate the position of the texture in UV space, you may run into problems like distortion, depending on your UVW Map and Unwrap UVW.

Greyfox
05-25-2006, 04:36 PM
I'll go and try to do a wire parameter on the UV offset of the texture material

But would it be great if we can contol a Planar UVW Gizmo and just link it to a bone or to a control dummy? it would cetainly get rid of the stretching on the edges of the eyeballs. I did try and wire the Planar Gizmo and all I was able to achieve was control the Left/right/up/down motion and not the rotation ... so it still resulted in some stretching.

Thanks .. I'll give your technique a try :)

scrimski
05-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Wire the gizmo to a dummy, align the dummy to the eye and use a look-at constraint for that dummy.

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2006, 04:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.