PDA

View Full Version : reorder vert index

inverse catheter
05-24-2006, 06:29 AM
two identical meshes .with exact same poly / vertex count .but between them the point order is different .this would seem to nullify maya 's ability to transfer UV 's from one to the other

// Warning: line 1: Can't perform polyTransfer1 on disabled selection //

i assume it is very much possible to reorder verts with mel .but / and i 've done google all over looking for examples .found none .any ideas ?

john_homer
05-24-2006, 06:48 AM
reordering/matching vert order has been covered at least twice on this forum...

basically there is no easy way.. there is a plugin on highend called reconstructMesh (i think) but is only for version 6.5 (again, I think)

.j

MikeRhone
05-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Making a huge assumption... If you have a skinned character and you wish to transfer the UV's from the un-skinned mesh to the skinned one, have you thought of tackling it backwards?

IE:

Save the weights from your rigged mesh using Comet Save Weights (http://www.comet-cartoons.com/melscript.php) .
Bind your UVed mesh, and re-import the weights via worldSpace in the Save Weights dialog box.
Delete your original skinned mesh.

The cool thing about the save weights script is that you can import weights based on worldspace, completely ignoring the point order.

This is of course if my assumption of your problem was accurate :)

inverse catheter
05-25-2006, 04:22 AM

thanks for your replies guys

john : sorry .i should have been more clear .i did find information on the topic .here .and elsewhere .but nothing that really solved the problem for me .found no examples of a good solution .and yeah .the reconstructMesh is for an older version of maya

MikeRhone : the problem i 'm having is UV relative .something similar to comets saveWeights is what i 'm after i think .in terms of concept .matching point order based on world space location

there 's a nifty little function in UVMapper .' reorder vertices ' .which in theory is perfect ( load mesh .select the file whose vert order you want to match ) .though it wouldn 't work in my case .the help says sometimes there 'll be errors .so i got mine .and the error report was machinespeak

it 's a hazard of working between anywhere and zbrush .if you wanted to .as in my case .mirror UV 's .there 's workarounds .so i can ultimately solve the problem a couple of ways .but they 're far from elegant solutions

this is a recurring problem for many .as i 've found .surprising there aint that many tools available to tackle it

john_homer
05-26-2006, 02:55 AM
Save the weights from your rigged mesh using Comet Save Weights (http://www.comet-cartoons.com/melscript.php) .
Bind your UVed mesh, and re-import the weights via worldSpace in the Save Weights dialog box.)

or you could just use mayas "copy weights"
if the verts are in the same world space it will copy them exactly... it just doesn't work to well with averaging and falloff and all that (which you dont have)

.j

john_homer
05-26-2006, 02:57 AM
this is a recurring problem for many .as i 've found .surprising there aint that many tools available to tackle it

I guess its easier to just make sure you dont do it again, than to write a solution :)

.j

CGTalk Moderation
05-26-2006, 02:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.