PDA

View Full Version : Future Girl - Advice on colours/background

dankitchener
05-23-2006, 05:35 PM
I am working on this illustration at the moment, but I am unsure about the overall colours of the image and the background/sky in particular. I'd love some opinions Re: colours and any other general advice to pull the image together as I think its lacking cohesion at this stage.
http://www.dankitchener.co.uk/future-girlwip.jpg

eishiya
05-23-2006, 09:12 PM
The only thing I can really point out here is that her feet don't match the perspective of the thing she's sitting on, so it looks like she's floating above it. As for lesser things... her arms look a little bit too short, and the eyes are too small. Even with stylized eyes, I think there is a limit past which it just looks weird. I also think you should make the blue highlights on her hair a bit more like the sky-blue seen in other highlights, for cohesion.

dankitchener
05-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks for that, yes I agree with her feet/floor position/perspective issue. She doesn't seem grounded, I will work on creating some deeper shadows around her feet, I think I may include some depth of field blur as well to blend her into the background more. I thought proportionally she was ok, do her arms look really too short?

eishiya
05-25-2006, 02:23 AM
Shadow from the feet would help, but not as much as redrawing them to fit the background, or redrawing the background to fit the feet. The arms seem to be fine when I compare them to her body, but they seem short otherwise. Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me. Also, don't do much blurring. To capture this whole image, the viewer would not be close enough to get any sort of DOF blurring going on. The buildings might be blurry, but since they are far away, it's not at all noticeable, so it's best not to blur them.

oogieboogietoogie
05-25-2006, 03:34 AM
I really enjoy this drawing style; it seems so much like a story book ^__^

The only thing I can say is that I'm finding it hard to continue looking at the picture, as the colors are so similar throughout and its so bright as well. Perhaps using some cooler colors or adding some stronger shadows as it seems to me that the sun is setting. But this is just a personal opinion.

frostblade
05-25-2006, 03:45 AM
Your background is more saturated than the foreground and that can make the picture lose depth, maybe some more realistic looking clouds could help.

dankitchener
05-25-2006, 11:23 AM
Yes on looking at the image afresh today, I can see your point about the clouds, I think I may paint some clouds in Painter and see if this helps the image, also darker shadows to differentiate between the foreground and background is a good idea. Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2006, 11:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.