PDA

View Full Version : IGN:Origin of Video Game Stories

ParamountCell
05-23-2006, 02:56 PM
http://uk.revolution.ign.com/articles/709/709153p1.html

Bonedaddy
05-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Games have stories now? ;)

I'm actually curious, did God of War have a decent plot? It just seemed like a very pretty kill-em-all in Greek mythology clothing. I keep hearing Halo has a good plot, although I suck so bad at it I'll never find out. I've been consistently disappointed, however, with the plots of almost all games I've played lately -- Half Life 2, Doom 3, every Final Fantasy since 7, Legacy of Kain, pretty much everything except Bioware games and Eternal Darkness. And even then, what they're releasing on Too Human doesn't look very Norse...

I just want a return to games like Star Control 2 (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/) and Grim Fandango. Now THERE were games with story.

/cranky old (young?) man

ParamountCell
05-23-2006, 05:17 PM
i wonder what inspired ramans story, never really been a fan but just needed an excuse to show this hilarious gif.

http://blayrow.free.fr/images/ancel2.gif

mmkelly011881
05-24-2006, 04:53 AM
The Neverhood :)

salmonmoose
05-24-2006, 05:21 AM
Games have stories now? ;)

I'm actually curious, did God of War have a decent plot? It just seemed like a very pretty kill-em-all in Greek mythology clothing. I keep hearing Halo has a good plot, although I suck so bad at it I'll never find out. I've been consistently disappointed, however, with the plots of almost all games I've played lately -- Half Life 2, Doom 3, every Final Fantasy since 7, Legacy of Kain, pretty much everything except Bioware games and Eternal Darkness. And even then, what they're releasing on Too Human doesn't look very Norse...

I just want a return to games like Star Control 2 (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/) and Grim Fandango. Now THERE were games with story.

/cranky old (young?) man

It seems like ages since I've played a game with an engaging plot, if you havn't already check The Longest Journey (It shipped under a few names).

agreenster
05-24-2006, 05:23 AM
Yeah, God of War had a pretty good plot. It's definitely a game worth playing all the way through

ParamountCell
05-24-2006, 12:33 PM
metal gear solid 3

Peddy
05-24-2006, 12:41 PM
well I personally loved the HL2 story. but i digress, im a fanboy. grim fandango and most any of the old lucasarts adventure games all had great execution of stories.

Tibbar
05-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Betrayal at Krondor (now freeware) has a very good story for a game. It was later incorporated into the rest of the Krondor books by Raymond E. Feist. It was also revolutionary for a 1993 game since it was one of the first to use 3D outdoor terrains mixed with indoor dungeon crawl.

mdee
05-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Games have no stories and never will have, unless you create very linear gameplay and slap some at best B movie scenario on top of it. Interactivity doesn't come along well with a story, as a designer/storywriter for games you have to predict everything what player might want to do and program the response (or story branch, whatever you call it)

The best game "stories" out there are in (dead now) adventure genre games, you know Myst, Monkey Island and similar, because those games were very limited in terms of interactivity and very linear.

The very best (by popular opinion) game stories like Fallout, HL2 etc.. were really bad, cliched and underdeveloped attempts. Not because stroywriters couldn't hack it, but because it wasn't really possible to make them better without limiting gameplay. We are still very far away (if it will ever happen) from games which will have any story, acting and other even b movie-like qualities, no matter how hard "the next gen" hype marekting people are trying to convince us.

The latest development aren't that great either. Oblivion, RPG game which is supposed to have great story, is still populated with cliched fedex quests seen 1000 times before and ugly characters (won't even say anything about "acting", because there is none).

IMO the best and almost sucessfull attempt lately was "Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodline", by R.I.P. Troika Games.

The better approach in my opinion is to provide player a sandbox like setting in which he can develop his own story, but it does not work for every type of game.

For those games which this approach won't work (FPS and similar come to mind), I'd rather have no "creative attempts at story", just to end up with laughable final effect which isn't even on par with C class low budget movies.

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2006, 07:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.