PDA

View Full Version : video card/ram issues

gustojunk
01-08-2003, 10:40 PM
Hi All,

I recently built my system and everything works right but I have a weird problem/limitations:

The system:
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P (f3 bios)
Dual Athlon 2400+ MP (with SLK 800 heatsinks & Enermax 80mm fans)
3.5 GB Mushkin pc2100 ECC Registered Ram
80GB WD 8MB cache HD
120 WD 8MB cache HD
Dlink firewire PCI
550W Enermax PS

The problem:
When first built it I put in an loaned Ogygen vx1 video card and everything worked well, all my appz worked fine, very stable and all that.

Yesterday I got a new FireGL 8800 card from ATI to replace another one that I RMAed.

When I installed the Fire GL 8800 the system would lock at boot time right before booting the 2nd cpu. I checked the video card in another system and the card works.

So after trying a few things I realized that pulling the 4th dimm of ram (512MB) solves the problem.

So I can either have 3.5GB ram (4 dimms) and the Oxygen VX1 video card or 3GB ram (3 dimms) and the Fire GL8800 card but I cannot get all the ram loaded and also use the fire GL card which seems very strange to me. Does anybody have any theories?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.