PDA

View Full Version : Maya Character Rigging Tutorial (wip)

dmcgrath
01-08-2003, 10:26 PM
I have about 9-10 pages so far of my tutorial to get you going.
I learned this at school and have tried to faithfully stick to what I was taught.
Right now, it's only on the bone setup. But I will move on to binding the skin soon. As well as offering input on custom animation controls.
You can access it directly here:
http://www.spatiallight.net/tutorialsPage/jointTut.html
Leave some ideas in this thread on things to add or change.

:) -dan

darkxsi
01-10-2003, 01:58 PM
Goooooooooooooood tutorial , you know where i can find informatión and more tutorials of rigginfg characters?
thk:bounce:

MDuffy
01-10-2003, 04:31 PM
It's a good start for an intro to rigging characters so far. The rig itself looks to be pretty basic. Have you tried to animate with it before? I know you haven't finished the tutorial yet, but are you just going to have the animator track down the bones they want to rotate in the Outliner? There are better ways to go about it (handles, spline control objects, etc). Also more advanced rigs include stuff like IK/FK blending in arms and/or legs, better foot controls, and other stuff.

I'm also interested in seeing how your professor suggests loading multiple characters into a scene. I'm guessing that appending "_1" to all the object names has something to do with that. However that can lead to messed up numbering if you load several rigs that are similar but not exact.

Good luck with the tutorial!

Michael Duffy
mduffy@ionet.net

dmcgrath
01-11-2003, 04:29 AM
darkxsi :
Thanks for the encouragement. There are some more rigging tuts out there, CGTalk is the best place to look for them. But the reason I decided to make one is because too many people have been complaining that there isn't enough out there like this. But my advice is to check all the sticky threads in the Maya section here as well as the rigging section. Good luck.

MDuffy :
I don't think any animator would be happy with just tracking down specific bones and then moving them. It would ruin their days entierly.
As you say it's a good start. But of course, the tut isn't done yet, so I havent included the animation controls, or even IK/FK switching. As far as the _1 designation, it just really helps you out when making the character, so you know you don't have any multiple objects where they don't belong. But when you import other characters into a scene that have similar names, they will be under different groups, so the bone name designation won't conflict. Unless you start adding more things in the (expression editor for example) that have similar names and you want them to drive things.

Thanks again guys, keep it coming!:beer:

-dan

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.