PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this run?

GoranNF
05-23-2006, 05:31 AM
Hey guys,

I've made a run,but somehow it doesn't feel right to me.I thought that I had to make my up and down more extreme to make it feel good,but it makes it even worse.Here's the run:
http://media.putfile.com/run-38
Could anyone please tell me what's wrong with this run and how to ''fix'' it?

-GoranNF

Puck
05-26-2006, 12:13 PM
It's very jerky. Runs are very complicated and are made up of lots of subtle weight shifts. For example, one of the first things i notice is that there is up and down motion, but no side to side or rotation on the hips.

The arms should hold their positions at the extremes of the arcs more. Ease them into their extremes and then make the sweep quicker. The same with the legs. At the moment he looks like he is walking in fast-froward.

Have a look at this for reference, http://www.univie.ac.at/cga/art/Muybridge.jpg try to copy these poses and then you can play with the timing later to get the look you want.

dalmanna
05-26-2006, 06:50 PM
he's tick tocking meaning he's moving the left arm forward as he puts hes left foot forward which is unatural you walk with an opposite arm and leg motion. that and every thing that puck said.

GoranNF
05-27-2006, 10:47 AM
For example, one of the first things i notice is that there is up and down motion, but no side to side or rotation on the hips.

Well,I did side to side and rotation on the hips,but you can't see it well.Try playing it back in slowmotion.

The arms should hold their positions at the extremes of the arcs more. Ease them into their extremes and then make the sweep quicker. The same with the legs. At the moment he looks like he is walking in fast-froward.

Should I do that by changing the fcurves?

he's tick tocking meaning he's moving the left arm forward as he puts hes left foot forward which is unatural you walk with an opposite arm and leg motion. that and every thing that puck said.

That's not true,but it looks like that because the arm swing isn't that extreme.So I did left foot forward and left hand backward,but it looks like I did the opposite because the armswing isn't big enough.

I want to thank you both alot for the helpfull tips.

Puck
05-28-2006, 03:38 AM
No worries man.

Seriously, i think the most useful thing to do is copy those muybridge poses or get a really nice run that someone else has done and then try to recreate it with only a few keys. Pose the body so it looks natural, and then set a key on the entire rig, do this for all the main poses and then you can slide them around to get the timing or copy them to hold the extremes. This is a really useful technique IMHO.

He's not tick tocking, the arms and legs are working in the correct fashion.

The hips and spine need way more twist and side to side motion... try going beyond what you think should look right and see what it looks like, then you can always take it back a notch.

Yeah, its a good idea to learn how to get the most out of curves, but in my opinion that's not something you should worry about for now, it's better to just put an extra key in there to ease in the motion just so you know how it should work, then muck around with curves later.

He's very jerky at the moment; a thing you could try is just setting two keys on his centre of mass, one at the start and one at the end so that his horiztonal movement is smooth. Then after it looks good smooth you can go in later and add extra detail. Start simple and add detail later.

Breinmeester
05-29-2006, 06:00 PM
It's hard to see in this movie. Can you maybe post a quicktime from a side view. I think some of the poses aren't too strong and maybe the legs are pumping too hard and the feet moving too much for the distance the body covers.

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.