PDA

View Full Version : Study downplays link of video games to violence

eks
05-23-2006, 03:55 AM
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1779820,00.html

Playing computer games may actually be good for children, according to a government study that found no proof that even violent games triggered aggressive behaviour.

The games can improve children's decision-making and instil 'positive learning traits', some research suggests. At least one study argues that make-believe violence helps children 'conquer fears and develop a sense of identity', as gruesome fairytales once did.

These studies about the effects of games on children reminds me of pong... :D

But coming from this gaming generation without killing any other human being (yet), I tend to agree with this one. :)

eks

Peddy
05-23-2006, 04:32 AM
we shouldnt need a study to tell us violent video games isnt the be all and end all of of violent behaviour.

Breinmeester
05-23-2006, 08:22 AM
There are just as much studies that say there is a link as there are that say there isn't. It's too big a statement to do general studies to. The truth is, it's both. But in the cases where there is a link, game violence maybe a trigger, but is seldom the source. And then there are the matters of good parenting and whether your kid has access to guns or not (off course all depending on which country you live in).
I think in a decade or so the crusade against gaming will be over. Might be because of common sense, might be because there'll be a next scapegoat to blame society's short comings on.

CupOWonton
05-23-2006, 01:27 PM
In any case in which a video game may be the center of attenton for the death of someone, its almost alwayse going to be suicide or personal legligence of some kind.
But because of that, the death isnt the games fault. Its the nature of these people to emerse themselves in something too much. Insane people will find inspiration anywhere on how to commit a crime, and its not like people havent been killing eachother since the dawn of man, so why blame games for something we already know about?

The only people who use games as the basis for murder, are the ones who

A. Are the murderer and want to blame it on something to get off the hook as much as possible

B. Are the murderer's legal advisor or lawyer who believes they can win the case by lying as much as possible.

C. Dont understand videogames at all.

Leionaaad
05-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Untill now, the violent TV shows and movies were the blamegoat.

And I watched Buggs Bunny just the other evening. Creepy how violent and cruel something cute can be... I wonder if there was any issue regarding the violence...
When we see a nice little bunny letting somebody down in the elevatorshaft is funny. Killing 75 monsters/minute is morbid and violent.
There is no use chewing on this issue, there ara a lot more hypocrytes than we can imagine.

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2006, 03:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.