PDA

View Full Version : Over the Hedge opens big, but in second

RobertoOrtiz
05-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Quote:
" DreamWorks' Over the Hedge exceeded expectations and took in $37.2 million for a second place finish at the box office."

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2006&wknd=20&p=.htm (http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00005070.html)

-R

SheepFactory
05-22-2006, 11:39 PM
I am sure over the hedge will continue to do well this weekend and after with good word of mouth.

Flog
05-22-2006, 11:47 PM
I hope so, but I still think it was a dumb weekend to open, right next to Da Vinci Code, had you saved it for this weekend with the kids out of school, they would have probably racked in slightly higher numbers. I'm thinking in the 50 and 60s, but I'm sure it will have a strong weekend this weekend as well with the kids still getting out of school.

jasonsco
05-23-2006, 12:08 AM
Unfortunately, as far as I understand, the release was chosen long before The Da Vinci Code was even announced. As for this weekend, it's a 3-day weekend, so that should help, but most kids are still in school (based on my experience around the US). We'll see if we can continue strong this weekend (bummer that we have higher ratings that DVC, too).

Teyon
05-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Flog my friend, consider that if they had waited until this weekend, they would have to contend with the juggernaut (pun intended) that is X-Men3. Quite possibly the most talked about comic film I've heard as I walk down the streets of NY.

I will say though that the movie delivered on the laughs and will probably do well for it's stay in theaters. I'm gonna get the DVD solely to enjoy the neat moment one of the characters had near the end, which really made me laugh despite being able to see it coming before it happened. Well done Dreamworks!

danimat0r
05-23-2006, 01:38 AM
A pity it lost out to something like TDVC, but it's a wonderful film that should and hopefully will have legs for many weeks. It's DW's funniest, sweetest, and best CG film.

Digit
05-23-2006, 01:51 AM
Yeah, but they dont really care about being #1. This is called counter-programming, when they release somethign radically different to what is expected to be the big hit of the week. They release it a little before the summer holiday to buld up a head of steam. Its not a competition, they just want the best schedule to make maximum money...

Shaderhacker
05-23-2006, 02:28 AM
Quote:
" DreamWorks' Over the Hedge exceeded expectations and took in $37.2 million for a second place finish at the box office."

I disagree with this statement. I think Dreamworks is disappointed with the numbers. Despite the film being very very good, it seems that the market is a little too saturated with CG films. I believe one article said that this is Dreamworks' worse opening since Antz. I hope it has legs like Shrek.

-M

Flog
05-23-2006, 02:46 AM
Teyon,

DOH!! I forgot about that. XMAN how can I forget Xmen.

Oh man!!

I disagree with this statement. I think Dreamworks is disappointed with the numbers. Despite the film being very very good, it seems that the market is a little too saturated with CG films. I believe one article said that this is Dreamworks' worse opening since Antz. I hope it has legs like Shrek.

Yeah I think if it wasn't this weekend or NEXT Men weekend it would have really hit the jackpot. But I think this movie opened up stronger than most of last years movie's outside of Star Wars.

I can't wait to see it and others.

Gehof
05-23-2006, 03:42 AM
Of all the dreamworks movies I've seen including Shrek/Shrek2, Over the Hedge stands as my favorite. The reason being that they have a solid story, good cast of characters, and didn't use the pop-culture crutch for any of their gags. Not to mention it was downright gorgeous in every department.

worker_bee
05-23-2006, 06:53 AM

-M

Well according to DW own estimate of $35 million...it was slightly ahead. With a second big weekend due to memorial day and hopefully strong legs, it will put Hedge around the first Ice Age in terms of numbers which is pretty good for such a now saturated market place, especially for furry animals. The original Shrek only opened to a $40 million dollar weekend and went onto make around $250 million. So there is hope Hedge can at least get in the $150 - $ 170 range domestic.

Good reviews and strong word of mouth should make it a good hit on DVD as well.

Shaderhacker
05-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Well according to DW own estimate of $35 million...it was slightly ahead. With a second big weekend due to memorial day and hopefully strong legs, it will put Hedge around the first Ice Age in terms of numbers which is pretty good for such a now saturated market place, especially for furry animals. The original Shrek only opened to a $40 million dollar weekend and went onto make around $250 million. So there is hope Hedge can at least get in the $150 - $ 170 range domestic.

Good reviews and strong word of mouth should make it a good hit on DVD as well.

Yep. Agreed.

-M

dax3d
05-23-2006, 04:28 PM
I don't think this had anything to do with a saturated CG market. It went up against the Da Vinci Code...a movie based on a book that's been on the best seller list at least a year. I don't think I know anyone that hasn't read it. It just had a huge amount of people anticipating the movie. I know lots of people that still want to see Over The Hedge, but only after seeing TDVC.

Great job to everyone who worked on Over the Hedge. I thought it looked amazing, and was a hilarious movie. As far as word of mouth, I've been making sure to recommend the movie to everyone. :applause:

Shaderhacker
05-23-2006, 04:49 PM
I don't think this had anything to do with a saturated CG market. It went up against the Da Vinci Code...a movie based on a book that's been on the best seller list at least a year. I don't think I know anyone that hasn't read it. It just had a huge amount of people anticipating the movie. I know lots of people that still want to see Over The Hedge, but only after seeing TDVC.

One could argue that they are two different demographics. The problem is that from here on out, every movie that opens will probably be #1 for that weekend.

-M

dax3d
05-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Good point, I was under the impression that parents were still bringing their kids to TDVC for some reason. They were just that excited to see it.

Even if other movies open #1 every week, hopefully Over the Hedge just keeps doing steady business. Guess we'll see this upcoming holiday weekend.

AJE
05-24-2006, 06:10 PM
OTH was fantastic. I really wish it had a stronger opening, but I'm pretty sure it'll have a long life, espescially if it can hold out until the end of school. Although, Cars is coming up too, which will give kids an option.

And Cars is going to be huge.

Think about NASCAR being able to pack one track with 250,000 spectators... if all those folks took their two kids, thats roughly 750,000 people... and how many tracks are there in the circuit?
That built-in audience doesn't include the regular demo for the film.

Any Dad that is into NASCAR is gonna take their kids... smart move on Pixar's part.

Whateverthecase, I thought OTH was great. I consider it a visual benchmark for quality character design and execution for CG animal characters. And how awesome is Hammy. The voice, the emotion, the character... superb.

"I'm not stupid"... wrenching.

Dennik
05-24-2006, 07:09 PM
My boss said some very good words about it being entertaining, (and he is not easy to please when it comes to animated movies) So i'll go see it some time this week.

Bonedaddy
05-25-2006, 01:10 AM
OTH was really surprisingly good. Highly recommended. The character animation is pretty great, esp. Hammy -- but the star of the show for me was the lighting/rendering. Holy hell is this a luscious movie. Everything just looked gorgeous. Consider that most every character had 2-8 million hairs, there were usually 4-5 of them in a shot, they were standing on millions of blades of grass, in front of a ton of trees, bushes, and leaves. I can't fathom how many polygons they chugged through for that movie. Truly astounding.

jjcoolio
05-25-2006, 05:02 AM
I really loved it! Awesome job of the Dreamworks crew!

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2006, 05:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.