PDA

View Full Version : Modelling Optimisation & DirectX

paranoy2k
03-11-2002, 04:32 AM
I got a question for you guys...I think I'm really muddled ;)

If a model has to be exported for DirectX (X-box), I heard it as to be triangulated because DirectX doesn't support Quads even if they are plannar...

I can see many models made of triangles and planar quads...I guess it is because some engine are suporting rendering of these planar quads...maybe something like Open GL...

Saving polygons using only one Planar Quad instead of 2 triangles seem to be worthwhile...More especially for modellers that want to have better detailled models for the same amount of polycount than a triangulated model...

Is working under DirectX Really mean lower detailled model?
Or is this mean, Same detailled with bigger polycounts?
Or, is planar quads could be suported under DirectX?

E_Moelzer
03-11-2002, 05:58 AM
Hello Paranoy
When talking about polycounts people always talk about triangles. So no, you do not loose detail with DirectX.
All engines and most renderers also tripple the model anyway before they draw the polygons. This can happen internally so one does not notice. Our engine does so, but still I prefer to split the polygons into triangles by hand, as I have more control over where the edge will go.
CU
Elmar

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.