PDA

View Full Version : Kiss of the chameleon.

John P.
01-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Ok, since I'm new here, I thought I might as well introduce myself by posting a drawing.

A little (tiny) bit about myself first; I'm 29 y.o., and have been drawing all my life, but only have a couple of years of technical drawing as far as drawing education goes. I had a 'break' from drawing for a couple of years(artist's block?), and only got back to drawing for real last year.

Two months or so ago, I bought my first digital drawing tablet; a second hand Wacom Intous 1, and I'm in the process of getting back into drawing again because of it.

When I did draw stuff before, it was always pencil and/or markers on paper.

Ok, to the drawing, which is the latest one I've made on the Wacom tablet; it has a 'story':

You've heard the fairytails where a princess finds a frog and kisses it in the hopes that it will turn into a prince?

Well, this is a fairytail gone wrong; this woman found this chameleon, and kissed it to see what it would turn into, hopefully a 'prince' of sorts. But alas, it made her skin change, and she and the chameleon are starting to swap features and skin colours! In this piece, the chameleon has climbed onto her shoulder to comfort her in their mutual misfortune...

Awwwww....

;)

[removed by user]

I come from the conceptart.org forums, so if you've seen this piece there under another nick, it's because I go by the nick ¤ N G ¤ over there. :)

freddy7133d
01-08-2003, 08:08 PM
wow thats an amazing piece!:applause:
the lighting is perfect..it almost looks like a photo..
sorry no critique...:D

welcome to cgtalk John P.
post more of your work!:)

JonasNoell
01-08-2003, 08:14 PM
The hair definitely kicks ass! I like the whole image very much, but I think it had a better impression if you had left this chameleon away. Especially the tail looks somehow a bit of the set.

cANt

John P.
01-08-2003, 08:26 PM
Thank you both. :)

I'm not totally happy about the tail myself.

Typically, the tail is not from reference, while the woman and most of the chameleon is...
(the image of a chameleon I ended up using for ref, was cropped)

As with most of my drawings, i'll probably go back to this at some point to correct things, but not now. For the moment I consider it finished. :)

Creepstown
01-08-2003, 10:18 PM
John P, I really like the concept here. If you wanted to fix this up, I suggest you move the tail and have it rest against her shoulder blade at an angle pressing into her skin. It doesn't look right resting under her armpit. Try to get more reference for the chameleon in general, I think its missing some toes on its front leg. Otherwise, good job and keep up the good work.

Alevice
01-08-2003, 11:34 PM
I may be a bit agressive, but i think the work has to speak and explain by itself.

I mean, when i saw the thread, the first i checked was the picture, which seemed interesting, but only when you mentioned the whole story about it (the kis and how they exchanged skin properies) i fully got the idea. While the painting is very good, the 'explanation' should be included by itself, as i said. How to fix it? Well, i would not really know, i may suggest exchange physical properties other than skin as well.

Tommy Lee
01-09-2003, 12:23 AM
Welcome on board!

First I have to say: Great Pic!:thumbsup:

And now my 2 cents: You should add some sort of transfer-effect on the location where the skin of the chameleon touches the skin of the girl. Then ya haven´t to explain the pic.

Anyway,...hope to see more from ya:beer:

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

John P.
01-09-2003, 12:44 AM
Thanks. All valid points(although I won't remove the chameleon! :p ).

Yeah, maybe a spot where she's still got human skin and the chameleon still has chameleon skin would be good...

On the other hand, you can fiddle with details like that until you're old; 'art is never finished, only abandoned'. ;)

Some of the crits are more like personal preferences though, IMO.

But I'll definitely think about them. :)

Thanks for commenting.

decoy
01-09-2003, 01:15 AM
Great image!!! :)

Even better back story!! :thumbsup:

My only suggestion is make the tail much shorter and going straight into her armpit (not curled) as that is where the chameleon would put it's tail for balance (panther chameleons use their tails as limbs not decoration.) :)

Keep up the good work!

QUACK QUACK

John P.
01-09-2003, 04:37 AM
Thanks decoy, that's a very good point - I hadn't even thought of that. I curled up the tail 'cause in most of the pics I found when I searched for references, it was curled up. But in those pics, they didn't need it to cling on to something either, so....

Yeah, maybe I'm not so finished with this after all! :D

PsychedelicMind
01-09-2003, 06:00 AM
YEOWSA! that is awsome hair!!! I think the only bone i shall pick is that the Chameleon's limbs look unfinished strange... hehe... i bet you were tired when you got to that part right (not to mention the background)? :D

John P.
01-09-2003, 02:53 PM
I decided to post the reference I used for the chameleon. I changed it a little when I drew it, for instance I rotated the front limb down at the joint.

But I don't think it's limbs are much more detailed in the ref.
Now that I look at it again, they are a bit different though, but not that much IMO.
Of course the chameleon in the ref has more skin texture and such, but the point is that in my drawing it's getting/has gotten human skin, so...

The background is supposed to be a bit 'blurry'. And it's the beach and sea; not much detail there. And it's 'blurry' 'cause she and the chameleon are the focus. :)

But yes....I was tired at that point. :p

Chameleon ref:

John P.
01-09-2003, 04:37 PM
Ok, I've updated it a bit. Gave the chameleon some more defined 'toes', and curled the tail in under her armpit(if it looks exactly the same, you'll have to empty your internet cache and reload).

I decided not to go for the 'skin transition point', 'cause this is after the fact, and the chameleon is comforting her. The skin change may still be going on, but it didn't start when this 'picture was taken', so to speak.

My story, so... ;)

Thanks for the crits, all. :)

cuse
01-09-2003, 05:19 PM
wow the hair is amazing! its a shame you cant show emotion in the chameleons face, good idea and well executed tho!

:buttrock:

cuse

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.