PDA

View Full Version : Re-parenting Items Without Them Shifting in Space

Joscci
05-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Hey Guys, quick question for ya:

Is there any way I can parent/unparent/reparent items in the Item's List without having them shift around?

For example, sometimes I create bone ring (first), and then choose to create a Null object, and reparent those bones to the new null, but the result is that the bones shift out of place, requiring me having to re-adjust everything, which sometimes gets kind of annoying.

Anybody has any pointers on how to handle this? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, ye experienced Messiah Users! :)

stooch
05-22-2006, 05:42 PM
you cant drag and drop while parenting and expect it to parent in place.

you have to go to setup, drop down box to parent (in items) and then check the keep in place and or keep rotation and then actually click the parent button in that menu.

why??? I dont know, thats just the way it is.

oh yeah,. before you do the parenting, you obviously have to select the items, the first item you select is the item that will be parented to.

Joscci
05-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Stooch! As always, you're da' man. :thumbsup:

Thank You for your help. :)

Cheers.

kursad_pileksuz
06-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Very nice, i was wondering about this for quite sometime as well

Lino Grandi
06-18-2006, 08:12 PM
My advice is to map Parent In Place and Unparent In Place functions to some key. I personally use "p" for parenting and "u" for unparenting.

My 2 cents...

Joscci
06-18-2006, 08:27 PM
My advice is to map Parent In Place and Unparent In Place functions to some key. I personally use "p" for parenting and "u" for unparenting.

My 2 cents...

I agree... that's what I did from the get go. :)

PaulNewman
08-07-2006, 06:48 PM
you cant drag and drop while parenting and expect it to parent in place.

you have to go to setup, drop down box to parent (in items) and then check the keep in place and or keep rotation and then actually click the parent button in that menu.

why??? I dont know, thats just the way it is.

oh yeah,. before you do the parenting, you obviously have to select the items, the first item you select is the item that will be parented to.Thanks stooch, just what I need right now :thumbsup: to get my stopwatch parts parented to the spring rig.

CGTalk Moderation
08-07-2006, 06:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.