PDA

View Full Version : To buy now or not...


Shemp
05-22-2006, 03:39 PM
I’m thinking of buying Foundation 5.1 in the next week or so. Does anyone think they will announce an update for XSI to 5.5 or higher during Siggraph - leaving me out of any free point upgrades? It’s my understanding that point upgrades are free other than .5 & whole numbers.



Thanks,

Shemp

nixx
05-23-2006, 02:10 AM
I can only offer generic advice, based on my own policy. We never buy or upgrade anything equipment-related unless we really need it. Chances are, you 'll be able to buy the same thing a lot cheaper, or something much better for the same amount of money, after a few months.

Now in the case of XSI, if you don't really need it right now, wait a couple of months, Siggraph is around the corner. If you do need to start working on something, and given that you 're talking about FND, I 'm sure your investment will not go to waste even if they do come up with a new version soon.

I 'm not sure I helped at all here... sorry :sad: I was just trying to share my point of view in this fast changing world of hard/software.

nick

Shemp
05-23-2006, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering if people think that there will be a point upgrade to say 5.2 or something at Siggraph, or will they jump to a paid upgrade.

Shemp

chikega
05-23-2006, 02:25 AM
I still have Foundation 4.2 and from my experience ... there's soooo much to learn, it'll keep you busy for some time and the skills will transfer when you're ready to upgrade later. :)

JDex
05-23-2006, 02:37 AM
My genral rule of purchasing is, if I'm < 3 months from SIGGRAPH (unless I have to have it right now for a project) I hold off. I have no idea if there will be a 5.5 release, but it would not surprise me at all.

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2006, 02:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.