PDA

View Full Version : Move with no axis

xeav
05-22-2006, 02:27 PM
is there something like mayas Shift+MMB function (moving, scaling and rotating without pulling an axis)?

TheNameless[NL]
05-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Well I don't know Maya very well, but you can try clicking and dragging with the middle mouse button while translating/rotating/scaling, Softimage then translates along the axis that closely matches the direction you moved the mouse.

Chris-TC
05-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Turn off the "Enable Transform Manipulators" option.
LMB will control the X axis, MMB will control the Y axis and RMB will control the Z axis.

It may take you a day or two to get used to but once you are it's pretty cool because it's fast - even though Softimage themselves consider it an "out-dated" way of working as I've read on the XSI Blog a while back.
Don't know why though because not having to click on arrows and gizmos is just faster for me.

It also works nicely when snapping. If you want to point snap only in the Y axis for example, all you do is hold down Ctrl (for snapping) and middle click on the point to snap to -> the Y will be matched up.

xeav
05-23-2006, 08:44 AM
']Well I don't know Maya very well, but you can try clicking and dragging with the middle mouse button while translating/rotating/scaling, Softimage then translates along the axis that closely matches the direction you moved the mouse.

thanx but, i use QWERTY mapping and it doesn't work there :|

Chris-TC (member.php?u=125636), thx i'll try your way

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2006, 08:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.