PDA

View Full Version : Car headlight rendering problems. Please advise!

gizmo1990
05-22-2006, 03:23 PM
I've modelled a cars headlight but I'm having great difficulty getting it to 'look' right.

I've created a simple cone object for the lamps reflector and given it a chrome surface with raytracing + backdrop.

Lastly I've modelled the headlights plastic/glass cover with proper thickness and even a ridges pattern on which most of these sort of things have. I've applied to this a see through glass surface with a input parameter incidence angle on the reflection and transparency maps.

Given that I've actually modelled the ridges on the lights glass I thought with a refractivity index included, everyting would reflect off one another and look great. However it looks rubbish and I can hardly see the glass! :(

Does anyone have any tips on this or perhaps some links to some tutorials?

IZZE
05-23-2006, 06:17 AM
Did you account for Air Polys?

And i'm sure you have all Ray Trace options enabled.

Post a pict.

-NG-
05-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Does your scene has anything to reflect?

kirigoi
05-23-2006, 07:26 PM
I would have thought it would be air-polys, thickness of your glass, your choices for refraction/ reflection parameters or a problem with your render setup (such as an insufficient number of ray bounces) . It can also help to have something inside the reflector (a simple lightbulb) to give detail to the refractions, and as -NG- says, you need something to reflect.

Post a pic and let us have a look; it'll make our work much easier...

gizmo1990
05-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks guys.

Yep it was the air polys. TBH I've never known about them before... but I do now! ;)

jdtiX
05-24-2006, 07:31 PM
"Air polys?" Someone gotta definition?

zuzzabuzz
05-24-2006, 07:44 PM
"Air polys?" Someone gotta definition?

Here's a nice tutorial that illustrates why air poly(gon)s are needed in Lightwave:
http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/LightwaveTuts/LWPacks/LWGlass/LWGlass-1.html

jdtiX
05-25-2006, 04:41 PM
So THAT's the purpose of air polys! And most likely, THAT's why the glass bottles in the lighting/texturing challenge look so dag-on good. I've seen tutorials that used air polys, but never explained what they're for, so I'd be like "WTH, why am I making invisible polys with no refraction?? Screw it!" Ahh, so young and so naive...

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2006, 04:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.