PDA

View Full Version : COFFEE | "Catch" Faderdata and record?

tcastudios
05-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Is there any way I could try record a fader that is moving, but is not keyframed?
Like the TargetLength in a Camera that changes acording to the distance to the Target.

I would like to try "baking" it.

Cheers
Lennart

Per-Anders
05-22-2006, 07:03 PM
A coffee tag would normally be evaluated once per frame (or during movement/modification), so you just need to check the value every time, if you want you can additionally add in checks for the document time having changed.

tcastudios
05-22-2006, 08:15 PM
Thanks.
So I can, using COFFEE, get the value(and type) and time(no problem) asign it to a new track and have it "stamped"? The part that worries me is, if I get it right, for COFFEE to create a new track(sequence?). I'm no sure reading the SDK that it is able to do that.

And , since I just started to look into this, would this involve a new (animation)plugin ID to get it working? Maybe for each new type if track being created?

Cheers
Lennart

Per-Anders
05-22-2006, 08:43 PM
you don't need a new tracktype. however i seem to recall that coffee's animation control got broken at r8 and i'm not sure if it's working since then. you'll have to check, normally it would be the usual way to allocate/generate new keys etc. you'll have to get a new track for the parameter on the object, a new sequence in teh track for your keys and then new keys (wherever you need) on the sequence. it may be possible to do this via callcommands, though i'm not sure. for most more advanced stuff i generally always recommand c++, not only do you have far deeper access, but it's a lot faster and often a lot easier.

tcastudios
05-22-2006, 09:00 PM
tops. I'll try to find out how far COFFEE gets making new track etc. Its a new field for me so I might take the libery to get back and ask some.

C++ easier than COFFEE... interesting.. Apart from the actual programming, what is the route used when developing and testing things "on the fly" ?
Given that using COFFEE I can start of in a regular COFFEE Tag then use a COFFEE expression plugin, and during this phase run "open" or not compiled.
Doesn't C++ have to be recompiled for each edit done in the code, to actually run in Cinema?

Cheers
Lennart

Per-Anders
05-22-2006, 09:12 PM
yes, but there is edit on the fly in vc2005 that for most smaller changes just results in a recompile without having to close and re-open cinema. it's not a huge problem as you just have a button to run in debug mode in your compiler and that will launch cinema for you to test away (plus you get way better debugging tools than in coffee, e.g. you can step through the code a line at a time checking all the variables, or have it pause and break out when certain criteria are met etc).

the reason why c++ can be easier is that c++ has a lot more helper functions as well as better debugging tools. you have deeper access, so for many things you just don't have to write as much code to do certain tasks, and it also lacks some of the ambiguity of COFFEE. of course it's horses for courses, i prefer coding C++ to scripting in any language (COFFEE, JScript, VB, php etc). but i know that i'm in a minority there, for most people scripting gives enough power and is more instantly accesible.

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2006, 09:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.