PDA

View Full Version : Programmers question

manuel
05-22-2006, 12:19 PM
I guess that is a question for the Igors then, unless Blair Burton visits these forums too. Just out of curiosity, how difficult is it to create an file import/export plug-in for FACT file format? The reason I'm asking is that Modo is looking very good these days, but it doesn't connect too well with EIAS.

Igors
05-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Hi, ManuelI guess that is a question for the Igors then, unless Blair Burton visits these forums too. Just out of curiosity, how difficult is it to create an file import/export plug-in for FACT file format? The reason I'm asking is that Modo is looking very good these days, but it doesn't connect too well with EIAS.Blair knows about import/export much more than we are, so you need to ask him. We can say only: work with files never was a little work :)

NorthernLights
05-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Depends. If Modo has an API, it would be worth looking at. If not, you're SOL.
OBJ is always an option of course. Granted that there are several OBJ solutions for EI out there all with their own quirks. Once EI is converted over to Mach-O there will be another because the Mach-O version of the FBX libraries has it's own built-in translators for OBJ and IIRC DXF and 3DS.

manuel
05-22-2006, 03:37 PM
Depends. If Modo has an API, it would be worth looking at. If not, you're SOL.
OBJ is always an option of course. Granted that there are several OBJ solutions for EI out there all with their own quirks. Once EI is converted over to Mach-O there will be another because the Mach-O version of the FBX libraries has it's own built-in translators for OBJ and IIRC DXF and 3DS.
I know people have already written file export scripts for Modo in PERL and LUA. And there is a promised SDK coming up. Not too sure what any of that exactly means though, I'm just rambling off some words here :)
Anyway, Modo 201 promises to have FBX export. But FACT export would just be that little bit better.

PS What's SOL?

plsyvjeucxfw
05-22-2006, 09:34 PM
SOL = "!@#$ out of Luck"; with the appropriate word substituted there at the front.

Fact export from various apps has been dicey. So far .obj's from Silo work better than .fac's. I'm currently running all .obj's through OBJ2FACT, which I consider a requred file utility to work with EIAS.

manuel2
05-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Aha, I see. These forums are just so educative :)

Actually, FACT export works a treat in Silo 1.4 on my Mac, unless there are some specific issues that I'm not aware of.

PS I'm still Manuel who started this thread, but it looks like my account isn't quite working at the moment.

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2006, 01:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.