PDA

View Full Version : IGN Goes After: Sony's Grave Error: The $499 HDMI-Lacking PS3.

Kentaro
05-22-2006, 02:47 AM
Sony's Grave Error: The $499 HDMI-Lacking PS3.

No HDMI, no HDCP. That equals no 1080p thanks to ICS. This equation spells disaster.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/709/709495p1.html

May 19, 2006 - Prior to Sony's pre-E3 media conference early last week, it was more or less impossible to bring up the future of the PlayStation 3 without launching into a debate on the subject of price point. After months, if not years, of rumors suggesting the console would not ship for less than a king's ransom, no journalist or fan could say a word about the PS3 without a careful mention that if Sony wasn't willing to sell the system at huge loss, the console was doomed. Last week at their pre-E3 media-conference, Sony finally dropped the proverbial bomb, announcing two PS3 models, differentiated by $100 in price but potentially far more in capabilities.

In word, Sony downplayed the disparity between the $499 and $599 PS3 versions, citing the primary difference between the consoles at the time of the announcement as the difference in built-in hard drive space, namely 20 GB for the low-end and 60 GB for the high-end. Within minutes, however, journalists homed in on a variety of factors that placed the lower-end PS3 into contention for the dreaded "tard-box" classification of crippled-console.

Not only does the $499 PS3 lack built-in support for Wi-Fi broadband and SD and Compact Flash memory cards, but rather shockingly, the machine does not possess HDMI output. Rumors spread like wild fire that the $499 machine was also missing Bluetooth support for wireless controllers, spreading fury among fans and detractors alike.

continued at Above Link*

monovich
05-22-2006, 03:20 AM
very informative... thanks.

P_T
05-22-2006, 03:45 AM
Old news. http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=354966&page=17&pp=15 , there's even link to kutaragi's response to that criticism in the thread.

Beamtracer
05-22-2006, 04:28 AM
Sony's Grave Error:

No HDMI, no HDCP.

'HDCP' is a terrible "copy restriction" technology that users are better off without. All users should avoid any equipment that has HDCP. If the PS3 comes without it, then that's a good thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

Gehof
05-22-2006, 04:51 AM
Kentaro, after looking at your thread history, I see you've never posted any work here and have done nothing but post threads about almost nothing other than Xbox 360 / M$, and given your recent splurge of Xbox 360 related chitchat in various threads (lots of them Sony and Nintendo threads), I've arrived at my conclusion:

You are crazy, dude. (Or a breathing Ad-Bot for M$)

CupOWonton
05-22-2006, 05:57 AM
Kentaro, after looking at your thread history, I see you've never posted any work here and have done nothing but post threads about almost nothing other than Xbox 360 / M$, and given your recent splurge of Xbox 360 related chitchat in various threads (lots of them Sony and Nintendo threads), I've arrived at my conclusion:

You are crazy, dude. (Or a breathing Ad-Bot for M$)

He's not an ad bot. Most likely he's one of 2 things,

an obsessed fanboy bent on trying to point out any flaw with Sony marketing because hes completly obsessed with Xbox.

or

a paid 'forum advertiser' who goes around to promote and discredit sertain companies inside large forum groups that range in the thousands to tens of thousands of users. In this case, the job would be - pro Microsoft-.

Either way, its just annoying.