PDA

View Full Version : Superman Returns - New Trailer

nubian
05-22-2006, 01:37 AM
http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbol/uk/movies/supermanreturns/superman_returns_tlrf3_qt_500.mov

for those who hate quicktime
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnnSsixdH58

the end of this trailer ownz!
ooh man i can't wait. :bounce:

sorry if this is a repost.
i searched before posting.

EpShot
05-22-2006, 01:50 AM
ok, that was the best use of bullet time..

EVER!

gotsds
05-22-2006, 01:52 AM
bullet in the eyeball was the most bizzare thing i have ever seen....

eek
05-22-2006, 01:52 AM
HOLY BEGZUZ! that ROCKs! exellent..
(dammit wish i had eyes like that)

JDex
05-22-2006, 01:54 AM
Wow... now that's a trailer!

Yes, the end pwns all.

PROVIDE3D
05-22-2006, 01:56 AM
No doubt they spent millions on this movie... looks very powerful.

Martin

SheepFactory
05-22-2006, 01:57 AM
Way better trailer than the one before. this movie will rock so much. :buttrock:

RobertoOrtiz
05-22-2006, 02:00 AM
Wow, incredible trailer.

-R

dalmanna
05-22-2006, 02:01 AM
the score sounds awesome, i think he may have got the emotional part right. (is it wrong to get chillz from brando's voice?)

JDex
05-22-2006, 02:03 AM
is it wrong to get chillz from brando's voice?

Well if it is... I'm just wrong. The music and Jor'el's voice send shivers up my spine everytime... and I wasn't even a huge fan of the original films as a child. Creepy, but it works. I am going to the midnight showing without a doubt.

dalmanna
05-22-2006, 02:11 AM
Well if it is... I'm just wrong. The music and Jor'el's voice send shivers up my spine everytime... and I wasn't even a huge fan of the original films as a child. Creepy, but it works. I am going to the midnight showing without a doubt.

me too, when i first watched the teaser and it was just brando talking with the krypton music in the background i got goosebumps like mountains, then they showed that silhouette shot with the superman hair curl and i that just sold it to me (more so).

aeres
05-22-2006, 02:33 AM
Hmm...about the the end sequence, wouldn't the bullet ricochet instead of just flatten and drop?

or am I just nitpicking:D?

Looks great though ;)

zzacmann
05-22-2006, 02:44 AM
Theres one shot here that was in the last trailer too that just looks really weird to me. Its the shot almost at the end where superman lands on his feet with a thud. Wouldnt it look better if his arms were straight up in the air and then came down after his feet hit the ground. That would at least show some weight and follow-though. Right now it just looks like they took footage of Sup squatting and then just moved him -Y direction from up off screen.

Other than that, everything looks awesome! Definitely a must-see-at-the-theater flick.

gotsds
05-22-2006, 02:51 AM
Theres one shot here that was in the last trailer too that just looks really weird to me. Its the shot almost at the end where superman lands on his feet with a thud. Wouldnt it look better if his arms were straight up in the air and then came down after his feet hit the ground. That would at least show some weight and follow-though. Right now it just looks like they took footage of Sup squatting and then just moved him -Y direction from up off screen.

Other than that, everything looks awesome! Definitely a must-see-at-the-theater flick.

the shot looked stiff. i have no idea why they oked it. needs to be redone imo

ThE_JacO
05-22-2006, 02:56 AM
Hmm...about the the end sequence, wouldn't the bullet ricochet instead of just flatten and drop?

or am I just nitpicking:D?

Looks great though ;)

full frontal like that it's almost plausible that the bullet itself would absorb all kinetic energy and collapse on itself.
ricocheting normally happens because of a trajectory not perfectly perpendicular to the surface of impact.

even then, it's scenic exigence, it wouldn't have looked nearly as cool if the bullet slowmoed away and it wouldn't have provided as clear a kinetic ending to the shot.

I remember when people read of that shot in the script (which in the initial draft was supposed to ricochet I think, but don't quote me on that), nearly everybody thought it was such a stupid and over the top idea... It's amazing how it turned out to be a pretty cool one in the end.

Digit
05-22-2006, 03:05 AM
Looks cool!

I like the shot around 1'12" when hes just flying down the street - looks very realistic.

Still, not sure about the casting of Bosworth though and Im npt mad about Spacey either.

John-S
05-22-2006, 03:10 AM
I'm 50/50 about the film. It looks completly awesome but it seems like a really hard movie to make and not have it look really cheesy. Previews look solid, I just hope the movie lives up to them. If it doesn't end up cheesy then I think they have something to really be proud of : )

I agree with the stiff part when he lands. I also have a really hard time not picturing Matrix when Neo flew up in the air and the clouds kind of spun around him (comparing to the similar part of superman)....Plus when he fly's through the city and none of the glass breaks like in Matrix. I don't know why but everytime I see these previews it bugs me that this doesn't happen. I understand that they would have big problems if Superman started breaking the windows in town I just keep picturing that though.....

Anyways, I'll be at the midnight showing : )

Bullet in the eye ROCKS!!!

Kwe
05-22-2006, 04:39 AM
supposedly, the reason behind Superman's pose when he stomps on the ground comes from Brian Singer trying to give the movie a Fleischer (40's Superman cartoon) feel and vibe which means Fleischer inspired costume, Fleischer inspired lighting/hues, and Superman in Fleischer-ish actions and poses...

...Superman's pose in that landing may look unnatural by today's standards, but it looks like a nice lil' Fleischer inspired moment IMO.

P_T
05-22-2006, 04:48 AM
Is the iceberg shot in the beginning CG or live shot?

JDex
05-22-2006, 04:53 AM
In Bryan's blogs they showed alot of miniature work with the fortress of solitude... my guess is it's a mix.

Norante
05-22-2006, 05:19 AM
Looks cool!

I like the shot around 1'12" when hes just flying down the street - looks very realistic.

Yes, best shot on the fantastic trailer :buttrock: We need a high quality version now.

I predict a lot of grow-ups with watery eyes on the movie theaters - this film just brings all those childhood memories back :)

JDex
05-22-2006, 05:38 AM
Yes, best shot on the fantastic trailer :buttrock: We need a high quality version now.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/supermanreturns/hd/

Edit... looks like Apple made a mistake... they have the teaser and trailer up as Trailers 1 & 2... yes we need an HD version asap.

jedijrmax
05-22-2006, 05:58 AM
I don't know... it all looks pretty cool so far, but am I the only one having a hard time picturing anybody else besides Tom Welling playing as Superman?

I guess I watch too much Smallville...

Stefan-Morrell
05-22-2006, 06:20 AM

dont know about the first one but the one halfway through is a Dylan Cole matte
http://www.mattepainting.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1820

AWAKE
05-22-2006, 06:22 AM
ok, that was the best use of bullet time..

EVER!

..all CG..............

zzacmann
05-22-2006, 08:26 AM
..all CG..............

Is this a guess or fact?

It looks to me like they just shot a close up of Sups face at a very high Frame rate and then just slowed it down and added a CG Bullet. Right as the bullet hits his eye however, I think they composited in a cg eye and lids that they could animate to react to the CG bullet hit.

If it IS all CG, its the best damn CG face Ive ever seen. But I still say his face is real.

MAK
05-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Is this a guess or fact?

It looks to me like they just shot a close up of Sups face at a very high Frame rate and then just slowed it down and added a CG Bullet. Right as the bullet hits his eye however, I think they composited in a cg eye and lids that they could animate to react to the CG bullet hit.

If it IS all CG, its the best damn CG face Ive ever seen. But I still say his face is real.
Well, the bullet time punch in the last Matrix was all CG (looked awsome and quite a bit more complicated than this one shot). I wouldn't be suprised if this one was all CG too...

P_T
05-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Well, the bullet time punch in the last Matrix was all CG (looked awsome and quite a bit more complicated than this one shot). I wouldn't be suprised if this one was all CG too...
You said it yourself, the superpunch slo-mo in the Matrix did look more complicated so if they did this "simpler" superman shot all in CG then I guess we know why CG budget is goin through the roof. I'm guessing there's a 3D mesh tracked for the bullet shadow and maybe even for the fire lighting the face as well as the eyeball but I think the face itself was shot live.

I was just wondering about the iceberg shot because I was thinking which would be cheaper, doing it all 3D like Day After Tomorrow or mix of live shot and CG.

DDS
05-22-2006, 02:23 PM
HAHAHAH that bullet part is funny as hell!!

nofosu
05-22-2006, 02:41 PM
Ohhh this movie looks so good:cry:. To be honest when i first heard that they were making a superman movie, i was jyst like "meh". But i must say all the trailers i have seen are actually getting quite me excited fo it, looks like it will be a very dramatic movie.

Shaderhacker
05-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Very awesome!! Man, I am salivating at the mouth over this flick!! :thumbsup:

-M

nomadicrain
05-22-2006, 03:23 PM
I don't know... it all looks pretty cool so far, but am I the only one having a hard time picturing anybody else besides Tom Welling playing as Superman?

I guess I watch too much Smallville...

Quoted for agreement, but I am looking forward to this movie.

Pentagramma
05-22-2006, 03:26 PM
Amazing trailer! I really like the small bits of the new musical themes we got there.
Hereīs hoping the movie will be as cool as this trailer! :thumbsup:

Orangutan
05-22-2006, 03:57 PM
I understand that they would have big problems if Superman started breaking the windows in town I just keep picturing that though.....

That would be so hilarious:scream:. Even though the guy isn't Tom Welling, I still think he has that classic "Superman" look about him that both Reeves and Welling have. Not sure about the guy playing Lex though... I kept thinking of the survivalist/knife-guy from Lost everytime I looked at him... lol

Kentaro
05-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Hmm interesting trailer. I'll go see it no doubt just because its summer and its Super-Man. But Im still waiting for the wow factor, so far its not present. Looks promising though.

aeres
05-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Not sure about the guy playing Lex though... I kept thinking of the survivalist/knife-guy from Lost everytime I looked at him... lol

You do know you are talking about Kevin Spacey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_spacey) right :D?

Ondrayce
05-22-2006, 05:28 PM
I wasn't too sure about Kevin Spacey either. I think he is a great character actor, but never really saw him as very intimidating. After the last couple trailers, though, I'd have to say I was "WRONG!"

This movie keeps looking better.

Titan
05-22-2006, 05:32 PM
You guys DID notice that Lex(spacey) stabbs superman in the ribcage....that was pretty intense....cant wait to see where this story goes!

the bullet to the eye kicked @$$!!

aeres
05-22-2006, 05:34 PM
I wasn't too sure about Kevin Spacey either. I think he is a great character actor, but never really saw him as very intimidating. After the last couple trailers, though, I'd have to say I was "WRONG!"

This movie keeps looking better.

You should watch Seven. Spacey is an incredibly versatile actor :thumbsup:

Ondrayce
05-22-2006, 05:42 PM
You should watch Seven. Spacey is an incredibly versatile actor :thumbsup:

Indeed. I thought he was great in Seven, as well as The Usual Suspects, just more as a powerful, intellectual presence. Not so much in the physical presence he seems to take in these previews.

My Fault
05-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Great trailer, looks like it will be one of the best comic film adaptations.

And how can anyone doubt the awesomeness that is Kevin Spacey? BTW, the Usual Suspects skit Spacey did on SNL this weekend was hysterical. Radio+ severed head = Radiohead.... how did I miss that? hahaha

enygma
05-22-2006, 06:42 PM
I think Kevin will make a good Lex for this movie, but I will most likely still be comparing him to the likes of Michael Rosenbaum's role as Lex in Smallville.

Would have been kinda cool to see some of the cast of Smallville keep their roles for this movie. Can't win em all. I still think this one is going to be pretty awesome.

That bullet in the eye was freakin sweet... :D

talos72
05-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Rosenbaum is alright for Smallville, but he doesn't have that maniacal streak. Spacy on the other hand seems to have that nice blend of humor and a dark edge with a dash of madman thrown in for Lex Luthor.

enygma
05-22-2006, 06:51 PM
True. It has been quite a while since I've seen anything Superman outside of Smallville. After watching 5 seasons of it, I get my impression of what Lex is like from there.

mech7
05-22-2006, 06:55 PM
What I never get from superman is that.. he only puts some mousse in his hair, and he takes of his glasses and then suddenly nobody recognizes him anymore :shrug:

ManlyCrab
05-22-2006, 07:00 PM
I think Bryan singer should start working on more non comic book movies, i love them but i love the usual suspects more.

Pentagramma
05-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Actually, itīs a magic mousse.

chadtheartist
05-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Awesome... just awesome! Can't wait to see this!

eliseu gouveia
05-22-2006, 10:17 PM
The sound barrier effect is really sweet.

nomadicrain
05-22-2006, 10:29 PM
What I never get from superman is that.. he only puts some mousse in his hair, and he takes of his glasses and then suddenly nobody recognizes him anymore :shrug:

I actually remember a superman comic I had from back in like 86 or 87, can't remember more than that but it had in the back a reader question answer section. One of the questions was why no one recognizes clark = superman, the answer was that CK is 5'11" 185lbs, nothing special, but when superman he is 6'3" 235lbs. One of his powers listed in that book was that he can change his physical appearance somewhat, the change he makes is his size, no one on earth would make the connection with that size difference. I think this idea should be explored in a movie, or somewhere but probably never will be.

Then again I could be remembering wrong too :)

aeres
05-23-2006, 12:45 AM

EXACTLY!! lol
I'll be damn if I took of my glasses, gel my hair(Which I used to do when I'm meeting clients) and suddenly not even my girlfriend recognizes me :applause:

Grim Beefer
05-23-2006, 06:38 AM
I'm not too excited about this movie personally (I don't really like superhero stories), but if you want to see Spacey playing a really great villian you should check out Swimming With Sharks (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114594/).

leejamesclark
05-23-2006, 08:21 AM
well more trailers and still not impressed. i cant get past it faults. i'm sure the effects are going to be great but the story sucks, seen it all before, and how many times must we sit through greats pecial effects movies with everything else blah.

i'd rather watch an episode of smallville with some good stories and acting. rosembaum rules as lex playing lex before he became manical but everynow and then giving us glimpses to what he will become. same goes for welling.

really hope this doesnt suck and he gets rid of the kid story before it comes out

laters

sirap
05-23-2006, 08:29 AM
It's hard to like something when you're dead set on hating it ;)

mech7
05-23-2006, 11:24 AM
I really love the old superman covers.. :D

http://www.superdickery.com/galleries.html

Not only superman was strange btw in the past.. what about the unveiling of batman & robin L hahahaha
http://www.superdickery.com/images/oneshot/SmartBombStudios-justice.jpg

Hahaha oh man i can just laugh at these all day :applause:
http://www.superdickery.com/seduction/3.html

Ed Bittner
05-23-2006, 02:04 PM
You guys DID notice that Lex(spacey) stabbs superman in the ribcage....that was pretty intense....cant wait to see where this story goes!

the bullet to the eye kicked @$$!!

Gotta be kryptonite he gets stabbed with. I mean, what else?
E.

talos72
05-23-2006, 05:26 PM
well more trailers and still not impressed. i cant get past it faults. i'm sure the effects are going to be great but the story sucks, seen it all before, and how many times must we sit through greats pecial effects movies with everything else blah.

i'd rather watch an episode of smallville with some good stories and acting. rosembaum rules as lex playing lex before he became manical but everynow and then giving us glimpses to what he will become. same goes for welling.

really hope this doesnt suck and he gets rid of the kid story before it comes out

laters

Smallville has had plenty of stinker episodes and lame fillers...the few really good ones have had to do with Clark's origins and red Krytonite.

One of the main beefs I may have with Superman Return's story is Lois Lane having a child which to me is messing around the Superman mythology a bit too much. Even in Smallville, I don't think they should have created such an early close relation between Superman and Lex, though it may create more material for tv writers.

John-S
05-26-2006, 10:53 AM
There was a brand new awesome Superman Returns trailer before Xmen. I can't find a link but it has the bullet in the eye scene in the end again, but not that same trailer. A bunch of new stuff though......If anyone finds it, post a link : )

JWRodegher
05-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Uhmm, I have to disagree. Maybe I'm not really into all the Superman stuff, but that bullet in the eye shot has to be one of the most lame shots ever.

Otherwise, I saw a bunch of shots that look superb, not really expecting much from this one though.

rcronin
05-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Sorry but the bullet in the eye must be one of the most awesome shots ever. I laughed until my face was burning. Whoever approved the shot needs a beer, on me. If there were more campy cheese unexpected shots like that, I'd actually go see the film!

mattmos
05-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Saw this trailer before the Da Vinci Code and the bullet shot got the most audience reaction of the whole evening - film incuded. It got people's attention, job done.

sirap
05-26-2006, 05:38 PM
agreed, that shot reminded people of how cool superman used to be

P_T
05-26-2006, 06:06 PM
That bullet in the eye part will probably be omitted from the final cut due to the violence it represents and the fear that impressionable youths will attempt to emulate it in real life. :D

(Please note the smiley at the end of the paragraph.)

Titan
05-26-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm just curious,
I dont want to come off as combative in any way but I really want to know...

....for those of you that say this or that looks lame(particularly the eyeshot) or this movie will suck, or "I wont see that".....what is your criteria for judging a film...? the trailer alone?

It seems that JUST because a film has big budget effects, some people have decided that it MUST be terrible movie having only seen a trailer or the costum/actors or whatever....

Is this just some Jaded, pessimistic, seen it all before attitude that you apply to every movie....? I see every big budget effects movie as pushing our industry, providing jobs for people like us, pushing technology, and serving as more brain food for my creativity.

If youve been around awhile since the original supermans, then you remember how cool those films were, also if youve been around youve seen mega leaps in technology, cinematography, special fx, computers. etc... this is superman for a new generation that probably wasnt around when we were kids. Also ITS SUPERMAN...on the big screen again.....
I mean do you really want to see poorly painted on laser beams from his eyes that dont track, or obvious wire shots that look hokey when we are capable of SO MUCH MORE....
the bullet to the eye shot is something new and an unexpected way of illustrating a point...

If youre involved with CGI, like most of us here are...you cant take things too seriously....if you do then we should probably just throw all comic book, cartoon, game based movies out the window because they are ALL pretty much wimsical modern day faery tales with repetitive plots, thus lame.

so its silly to say that this or that scene looked lame when you consider that youre watching a guy in blue tights fly around saving the world.

Breinmeester
05-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Well, that trailer didn't move me one bit. And I felt that eye bullet shot was over the top to a point of hilariousy.

Stories can be imaginative or surreal, but they need to be believable. Clark returns and then Superman returns and Lois still can't put one and one together??? (apart from that mousse and glasses stuff, which is silly too off course.) On top of that Luthor returns....and we got the whole bunch back together again. I don't kwnow, it feels a little weak to me.

From this trailer, to me it seems all good this film's got is Kevin Spacey.

AdamHerbert
05-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Well, that trailer didn't move me one bit. And I felt that eye bullet shot was over the top to a point of hilariousy.

I completley agree. I was looking forward to the trailer, but felt rather let down. To me, both trailers make the movie look boring. This one will likley be a renter unless they release another trailer that just grabs me.

JWRodegher
05-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Titan, you're jumping to conclussions here (I'm taking your comment as you were referring to me cause I said that shot was lame). I work in CG and man, would I love to work in this big budget films? Hell yeah! But, a big amount of this movies are giving me a hard time tryin to actually enjoy the movie itself (let alone the fact that the cg and vfx is awesome). Actually as I work on CG I feel that more than once all the hard work put in this movies gets lost in a totally poor plot. Most of the shots on that trailer look to say the least, beautifull. I'm still gonna be the first one in the line to see this movie, even if they include that bullet in the eye shot in it (which is more likely to happen of course). I'm not the type of guy who hate an entire movie due to one single shot, and lately I don't believe in trailers anymore.

I have to agree with you on this one breinmeester.

melvinch
05-27-2006, 11:22 AM
IMO nobody, and I mean nobody, can ever replace the definitive Superman: Christopher Reeves. He seems to be born to play the part. The chiselled features and build is flawless.

This new chap playing Superman looks too Latino for my taste. So is Dean Cain and the other chap in Smallville.

Is it so hard to find an actor with Reeves facial features in the US ?

phamarus
05-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Actually...I think this new trailer looks pretty awesome...not the best..not the most impressive effects seen...but a very good job indeed.ī
I didnīt like the earlier trailers...because they didnīt show much..
And the soundtrack score seems to have been polished..thats good.

Dont know what people are talking about concerning the bullet eye shot...looks..good..thats it....hey heīs superman right..

About the new guy playing superman...well...hard to beat christoffer reeves...and even if this new guy has a little latino..italian..looks..he still looks better than all the tv series supermans..
And I do actuallly think he looks a bit more true to the comics look..
And that beeing sayed ...havenīt seen him act in the film yet.
well guess taste is like the A..ss , Itīs divided.

Phamarus.

madheavy
05-27-2006, 12:11 PM
IMO nobody, and I mean nobody, can ever replace the definitive Superman: Christopher Reeves. He seems to be born to play the part. The chiselled features and build is flawless.

This new chap playing Superman looks too Latino for my taste. So is Dean Cain and the other chap in Smallville.

'nuff said. And the dude looks a little to weak and skinny to be superman also. And he looks around 16 years old as well...in other words he'd make a great superboy!

MrWilde
05-27-2006, 12:19 PM
I say anyone who wants to see realism shouldn't go watch this movie. Like phamarus said, it's Superman.

Breinmeester
05-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Well, that makes sense then, Oscar... :rolleyes:

Bobo
05-27-2006, 12:55 PM
There was a brand new awesome Superman Returns trailer before Xmen. I can't find a link but it has the bullet in the eye scene in the end again, but not that same trailer. A bunch of new stuff though......If anyone finds it, post a link : )

It is of rather pure encoding quality, but right now it is the only version available. (everybody is waiting for WB to release a QT version):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIfUt5fMGoE

It was made specifically for showing with X3 (note the "From director Bryan Singer" screen in the middle, putting salt in the wounds of X-Men movie fans ;))

RobertoOrtiz
05-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Awesome trailer..

-R

dalmanna
05-27-2006, 03:16 PM

i don't think there is anyone. shame like you say i can't see anyone but reeves as superman, but i'm gonna give this guy the benefit of the doubt, plus brando's voice still gave me chills(goosebumbs) in the teaser trailer. i suppposed the fact is who ever they picked was always gonna get a lot of flak from us reeves fans coz he's a tough act to follow.:shrug:

talos72
05-27-2006, 04:02 PM

I don't think it is so much the lack of actors with Reeves feature as it is with how Superman is portrayed currently, even in comic book at times. Originally, it seems, when Superman comics began to appear in the 30s the ideal leading man look was your broad shoulder, square jawed Carry Grant type. That look pretty much became somewhat of a template for many golden age superheros. Nowadays, if you notice, the ideal leading man types are not necessarily like Carry Grants, but usually portrayed more as pretty boy types. Just look at the way current fashion magazines portray men versus a magazine from say 50 years ago.

Casting Routh as the current superman just reflects the current fashion in part. I always thought a slightly younger Kyle Mclaughlin may have made a decent Clark Kent, and in fact he was being considered to play George Reeve in a bio bic of the actor who first played Superman on the tv screen. Of course, as of now Ben Affleck (pretty boy) is slotted to play George Reeve instead.

John-S
05-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Cool Bobo! I couldn't find that thing again anywhere : )

Xmen - I rate it a "B". It was odviouse that Singer didn't do it. But it least it wasn't like Burton to Joel Schumacher.

MrWilde
05-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Well, that makes sense then, Oscar... :rolleyes:

Hehe, thanks. No, what I mean is that you have to be prepared for almost hilarious scenes if you watch a Superman movie. So I don't think that bullet scene was over the top. And believability was never the strong point of any Superman movie/comic/series, I guess. It begins with the question where he puts his cape once he's Clark Kent, and ends with the question why no one ever realizes that Clark is actually Superman.

arctor
05-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Christopher Reeve...

it's Christopher Reeve....there is NO "s" at the end of his name (which is kinda funny in itself...)

I'm not sure I fully understand those that say that no one can replace Christopher Reeve as Superman...afterall, he replaced others...
yes he was great in the role - I can still remember standing in line as a kid and even the seat I sat in for Superman: The Movie...
as for Routh...I'm willing to give him a chance, and I don't really see why Superman has to be much bigger than Routh's 6'3" and probably ~215lbs...Superman gets his powers from the sun - not from 'working out' :)

what I don't like - and never have - is the over the top, campy Luthor...I don't like the kid - there's no point and it's lazy writing (and it may screw with some very serious continuity)...

I want a Superman that is as close to an R rating as possible...

well, to be honest i'd rather have MiracleMan

dalmanna
05-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Christopher Reeve...

it's Christopher Reeve....there is NO "s" at the end of his name (which is kinda funny in itself...)

sorry my bad i saw someone put the s on the end in an earlier post and thought i'd been getting it wrong all these years for not doing so before so i added it in my last post.....lol sorry again....:blush:

rickmann
05-27-2006, 10:36 PM
I think Routh is going to do a fine job. Plus as far as everybody comparing Routh to Reeve, and making a big stink about Routh being able to live up to Reeve's performance as the Cape Cruisader. Didn't Reeve's wife send a letter to Routh (almost on her death bed) giving her blessing to him that we would do a great job and that her husband would be proud? I think that says it wright there, that if the widow of reeves can see in her own eyes what she saw in husband's acting abilities then this guy might just cut it for the fans!

PEACE!!

arctor
05-27-2006, 11:18 PM
capped crusader is Batman....

oh man...I'm such a geek today...

JDex
05-27-2006, 11:22 PM
...I'm such a geek today...

Um, I think that would actually be Nerd, not Geek. :p :wip: :D

rickmann
05-28-2006, 12:19 AM
capped crusader is Batman....

oh man...I'm such a geek today...

well then that would make me a dork for getting them messed up!

I meant Man of Steel sorry!

puch
05-28-2006, 12:29 AM
http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbol/uk/movies/supermanreturns/superman_returns_tlrf3_qt_500.mov

for those who hate quicktime
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnnSsixdH58

the end of this trailer ownz!
ooh man i can't wait. :bounce:

sorry if this is a repost.
i searched before posting.

OK...THIS ONE WAS COOL!

Kwe
05-28-2006, 06:38 AM
here's the 3rd (and best in my opinion) Superman Returns trailer playing in front of some copies of X-Men 3...

warning: gives quite a bit away about important plot points (ala Spider-Man 2's trailer showing that he's giving up his powers and has to find a way to come back from it), so don't download if ya don't wanna be spoiled.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B23CF11C7A2B55D2

kemijo
05-28-2006, 12:47 PM
here's the 3rd (and best in my opinion) Superman Returns trailer playing in front of some copies of X-Men 3...

warning: gives quite a bit away about important plot points (ala Spider-Man 2's trailer showing that he's giving up his powers and has to find a way to come back from it), so don't download if ya don't wanna be spoiled.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B23CF11C7A2B55D2
Cool, one of my shots is in this one.

Kwe, where'd you get this version? The only one I saw was the one on YouTube, but it's sqaushed into the wrong aspect ratio. Is there a better quality version somewhere? I'd like to send a link to a few friends if you won't be removing this for a while. I agree, the first thing I thought was that they give away too much in the trailer. I can't complain too much though, I already know more about it than I would have wanted to. The nature of the biz I suppose - the movies you wanna work on are the same one you don't want ruined. :shrug:

Ed Bittner
05-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Now, as for me, I must be one of the few who thought Richard Lester's Superman 2 REALLY sucked. For those who don't know, Richard Donner had 75% of S2 in the can when he was replaced with Lester. As limited as the industry was FX wise back when STM* was made,( blue screen vs. blue tights), the FX in S2 are so substandard, I'm amazed that it was ever released. Too many to list here, but even at the end of the film when Superman delivers the flag back to the White House, the matte lines are so heavy that you can barely see the man of steel at all. Not to mention, the shot of the White house ,( with fountain), is a STILL PHOTOGRAPH! It is this flagrant disregard or distain for the audience which grieves me the most about this and the rest of the Superman films. The only one that took the subject matter seriuosly enough, and with the proper respect for the material was Superman the Movie.
Oh, and for those of you who don't know already, "the Donner cut" as it's being called, will be available later (this year?) in a complete boxed set of all the films. As much as I dislike the rest of them,( after number 1), it will be worth the price to me to have Donners version,(75%) or not, as the only sequel to the only valid Superman film out there. Superman The Movie.
E.

*Superman the Movie

dalmanna
05-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Now, as for me, I must be one of the few who thought Richard Lester's Superman 2 REALLY sucked. For those who don't know, Richard Donner had 75% of S2 in the can when he was replaced with Lester. As limited as the industry was FX wise back when STM* was made, the FX in S2 are so substandard, I'm amazed that it was ever released. Too many to list here, but even at the end of the film when Superman delivers the flag back to the White House, the matte lines are so heavy that you can barely see the man of steel at all. Not to mention, the shot of the White house ,( with fountain), is a STILL PHOTOGRAPH! It is this flagrant disregard or distain for the audience which grieves me the most about this and the rest of the Superman films. The only one that took the subject matter seriuosly enough, and with the proper respect for the material was Superman the Movie.
Oh, and for those of you who don't know already, "the Donner cut" as it's being called, will be available later (this year?) in a complete boxed set of all the films. As much as I dislike the rest of them,( after number 1), it will be worth the price to me to have Donners version,(75%) or not, as the only sequel to the only valid Superman film out there. Superman The Movie.
E.

*Superman the Movie

eh? who mentioned 2.

Ed Bittner
05-28-2006, 05:12 PM
My point was,even though not necessarily in this thread, most of the posters in the other ones pertaining to the Superman films consider Superman 2 to be on par with Superman the Movie. Sorry to be slightly off topic. Close to being on topic however, I'm nearly as stoked about seeing the "Donner cut" ( after nearly 30 years), as I am seeing Superman Returns.
E.

Bobo
05-28-2006, 10:54 PM

Kwe, where'd you get this version? The only one I saw was the one on YouTube, but it's sqaushed into the wrong aspect ratio. Is there a better quality version somewhere? I'd like to send a link to a few friends if you won't be removing this for a while. I agree, the first thing I thought was that they give away too much in the trailer. I can't complain too much though, I already know more about it than I would have wanted to. The nature of the biz I suppose - the movies you wanna work on are the same one you don't want ruined. :shrug:

The YouTube version I posted above was the FIXED one (corrected aspect ratio).
But there is still no official Quicktime released by WB, and there is still not HD version of the second trailer (the one with the bullet in the eye).
Keep an eye on the supermanreturns.com page for updates...

Kwe
05-29-2006, 12:12 AM

one of my fellow comic book fanboys from the superherohype.com forums got it. i don't know where he got it from but there's no better quality out yet. we're hoping to get one tomorrow, but we're not sure.

anyway, you worked on the film? what was your job, if you don't mind me asking. i'd love to hear about your experience working on the film...

kemijo
05-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Hey there Bobo, thanks dude! Been a bit of a grind. Hopefully it'll hold up against the nice stuff from Sony, Rhythm and you guys. Were you involved in the stuff over at Frantic? Great to see a Canadian studio involved :thumbsup:

Hey Kwe, I'm a Technical Director at Framestore-CFC. We had a lot of generalists; most of us wore lots of different hats at different times. I've done some character rigging, camera and asset shot layout/animation, FX animation, shading/lighting, precomps, and little misc things inbetween. Most others did different tasks but about the same amount. It all depended on what was needed in the shots, as we had a relatively small crew and not a lot of time to get through a lot of work. Not sure how much more I can say...and due to the nature of what we did, you won't wanna hear most of it till you see it! :twisted:

DorkmanScott
05-29-2006, 12:32 PM
I don't like the kid - there's no point and it's lazy writing (and it may screw with some very serious continuity)...
I've said it before and I'll say it again: The kid is Superman's. I'll put money on it. They banged in S2 while he was human, and then he wiped her memory so she genuinely doesn't know that the child is his.

No spoiler tags because it is still just conjecture, but c'mon.

The interesting thing is going to be whether or not the kid exhibits superpowers.

Kwe
05-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Hey Kwe, I'm a Technical Director at Framestore-CFC. We had a lot of generalists; most of us wore lots of different hats at different times. I've done some character rigging, camera and asset shot layout/animation, FX animation, shading/lighting, precomps, and little misc things inbetween. Most others did different tasks but about the same amount. It all depended on what was needed in the shots, as we had a relatively small crew and not a lot of time to get through a lot of work. Not sure how much more I can say...and due to the nature of what we did, you won't wanna hear most of it till you see it! :twisted:

thanx for your input dude. technical director huh? wow...i bow down! hehe...anyway, i can't wait to see what you guys have done with the movie....everything looks great so far (from what i've seen in the trailers)!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The kid is Superman's. I'll put money on it. They banged in S2 while he was human, and then he wiped her memory so she genuinely doesn't know that the child is his.

No spoiler tags because it is still just conjecture, but c'mon.

The interesting thing is going to be whether or not the kid exhibits superpowers.

funny thing is....Singer has recently stated that Superman II isn't part of Superman Returns' history. so, we really can't tell if it's Superman's or not. i would've agreed with you, but as Singer said...SMII is excluded...

DorkmanScott
05-30-2006, 02:50 AM
funny thing is....Singer has recently stated that Superman II isn't part of Superman Returns' history. so, we really can't tell if it's Superman's or not. i would've agreed with you, but as Singer said...SMII is excluded...
Wait, he did? When? Last I heard he was disregarding III and IV, but Returns follows off 1 and 2.

JDex
05-30-2006, 04:10 AM
Wait, he did? When? Last I heard he was disregarding III and IV, but Returns follows off 1 and 2.

I'm quite sure it was 1 & 2 are the backstory for Returns

Apoclypse
05-30-2006, 04:49 AM
To bad superman had to bang that other chick instead of Bosworth in superman 2. Bosworth is ... um worth it. I didn't like the first trailer way to CG for me. This one looks good though. I'll defintely check it out.

Bobo
05-30-2006, 06:30 AM

According to a post on SHH quoting SFX magazine, Singer said the following:

Bryan Singer: The 2nd film is not in my history. It's not a particularly good film, either, if you watch it again.

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8819375&postcount=1

JDex
05-30-2006, 07:03 AM
Hmmm... well, if that's his take on it, cool. It does contridict his own words in the past, but things change. I'm actually more satisfied if SII is out, because I never really appreciated it that much. Only Lex and General Zod made that movie worthwhile.

mr Bob
05-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Number 1 is the backstory and superman returns follows on.There was talk if this is a success the next will film will follow ......

b

Kwe
05-30-2006, 06:27 PM
QUICKTIME!!!

medium
http://mp3content03.bcst.yahoo.com/b02r01/009/yahoomovies/6/25379538.mov

large
http://mp3content01.bcst.yahoo.com/b02r01/010/yahoomovies/4/25379539.mov

ex-large
http://mp3content01.bcst.yahoo.com/b02r01/008/yahoomovies/0/25379541.mov (http://mp3content01.bcst.yahoo.com/b02r01/008/yahoomovies/0/25379541.mov)

send2raj
05-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Trailer Looks gud,just can't wait to c the movie

John-S
06-02-2006, 05:48 AM
Superman will be released on June 28 now instead of June 30th : )

ChrisNoeth
06-08-2006, 12:06 PM
I can't wait to see it! Too bad it will start 17.08 in Germany... :(

Ed Bittner
06-08-2006, 03:09 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with Singer concerning Superman2. It just plain bites. I really wanna see the "Donner Cut" later this year. ( Maybe that ver. will be considered a true part of the history)?

NA3D
06-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Finally, holy crap, every trailer before has bit the big one. At last a trailer that shows the movie is actually worth seeing at all, and not a matinee showing. Some of those first trailers made me question if I was ever going to go and see it, but it definitely looks like a must see like x-men 3 was.

John-S
06-14-2006, 07:12 AM
Sorry if this is slightly off/on topic and sorry especially if this has been posted already but...

This guy has the coolest screensavers on the internet in my opinion. Here is one that might help get you jazzed for the movie : )

http://uselesscreations.com/superman/
(free download, although I believe if you pay or register you get a full version or something)

-If posting this is considered against the rules for spam or something even though its free and I'm not attatched to these people in anyway...Feel Free to delete.-

Enjoy : )

eliseu gouveia
06-14-2006, 06:26 PM

Please!
You think thatīs bad casting?

Here, let me enlgihten you on what BAD CASTING (http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s4i7743) really means.

Whedon is such a hack!
Affleck............ >sigh<

Everyone and their dog knows that the Wonder Woman part has Dustin Hoffman written all over it.:D

JWRodegher
06-14-2006, 06:38 PM
"I want to bring a new approach to the Wonder Woman adventures. Maybe something a little more 'in the now'." explained Whedon. "I'm still working out the details, but maybe Ben, or whoever we choose, doesn't have to look like a woman. Maybe Wonder Woman was really a woman trapped in a man's body. Maybe Wonder Woman is a gorgeous six-foot transvestite. All I know is we have a ways to go on the script."

These people are totally out of their minds...
They can't be serious, no way.

RobW720
06-14-2006, 08:04 PM
I would pay to see that one, hahah

rickmann
06-15-2006, 04:18 AM

hahahaha, I think its hilarious!! It could work, I mean hey, there bring back batgirl as a lesbian wright? Why not a transgender wonder woman!

eliseu gouveia
06-15-2006, 07:24 AM

.................er, LikuidSnake? It was a joke.

Nobody on earth would believe Affleck could pull a convincing Wonder Woman.

Now Matt Damon, OTOH............................ ;)

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2006, 07:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.