PDA

View Full Version : Animating tank treads

daschewy
05-21-2006, 06:14 AM
Hey all new here,

I was wondering if any of you all have any experience with animating a tank and if so could you please explain the best way to animate the treads and the track wheels? Im trying to help a friend finish an animation for a tank model he has and he wasnt sure which was the best way to do it; so far it seems that you are suppose to animate the wheels and then animate the texture on the actual tread itself. Does anyone know if this is the most effective way of animating the said area?

thanks

3dKris
05-23-2006, 04:39 PM
I guess my first question would be, what software are you useing (easyer to respond with acurate definations). also is this a game model where the track is only a texture (it sounds like this is the case).

daschewy
05-24-2006, 04:51 AM
yeah sorry, I should have mentioned this is gonna be done in maya and yes kris it is for a game.

veerajesh
06-17-2006, 08:06 AM
just try this method;

1)create polygon torus and rotate in X90 and group it, then scale the group like ur tank thread again select ptorus and rotate in Z see the result. with this method you can animate your tank thread.
2) create joints according to ur tank thread and give ik spline to it, you will get the curve.
select the ik u will find option called offset in the channel box just animate it and see the result.

hmmm just try this ..............

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2006, 08:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.