PDA

View Full Version : Wind Warrior - critique needed

Griswald
05-21-2006, 06:57 AM
This is my latest work. I'm not sure about the pose or the grass. Lighting and composition could probably use some work too.

http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/225361/225361_1148190135_large.jpg

pap87
05-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Looks nice but her right thigh is way too long! Likewise with the left forearm. The colouring is great though.

secretasianman
05-21-2006, 02:34 PM
left hand is to small.

sorry had to edit.

TimonQ
05-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Her footing is the only thing really standing out to me with the pose. The way they both seem to be tilted inward. I don't think she could keep her feet like that for long, looks like she's just about to shift them.

Griswald
05-22-2006, 05:42 AM
I had a feeling there was something wrong with the legs and that the pose looks uncomfortable, might be a little difficult to fix. The arm should be easy though. I guess I need to measure out proportions more, I tend to rush it a bit.

slickgreekgeo
05-22-2006, 07:20 AM
Looking good; I would push your colors more, try painting some of the highlights over with a torquise color, it should make a huge difference. Keep it up!

Naisart
05-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Hi,
First of all, I agree with all of the above comments.

I think you should either crop the image along the vertical axis or the horisontall because right now there is too much empty space surrounding the character.

Also, if you apply the rule of thirds, you want the interesting points to be where the lines meet. I have made a very quick suggestion on how you could crop the image (see attachment). Hope you donīt get offended by this, if you do, just tell me and I will take it down.

I also think you should add more cast shadows and push the contrast a bit more. I agree with Griswald about the pose. I think you should put her legs in a more dynamic pose (again, see attachment).

Just some suggestions because I like the image :)
Hope you keep working on this one, keep us updated!

cypherx
05-22-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm thinking, at quick glance, the first thing I notice is the black lines. I think you should either have strong lineart, or none at all, but not in between. The arms and legs are very long, but that could be your style so that's not really a critique from me. Building up the clouds a bit more and perhaps not having the sky so blue, are just a few things I might consider. Also really defining the edges of the swords so they're stronger and straighter looking. That's my two cents, I guess

Griswald
05-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, and thanks for that attachment Mumphy, composition isn't my strong point. In fact, I drew the picture originally as just a character concept without thought for a background, I just added it in as an afterthought. The problem with the linework is a problem with all my pictures, I think I rely on it too much. I'm not sure if I'll have time to work on this picture much at the moment, but I'll try to post updates when I can.

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2006, 12:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.