PDA

View Full Version : attaching a pistol and holster to a rigged model

YuriyNYR
05-21-2006, 05:50 AM
i have a riigged model. he has a gun in his holster but the gun, and the holster are seperate objects from the model itself. when the model itself is animated, the rest of the objects stay behind in their original positions. how do i connect them all together, like for example when he is walking, the gun moves inside the holster with the hips? please help someone, thank you all.

program used is 3dsmax.

3dRaven
05-21-2006, 04:08 PM
You could either just parent the gun to the holster then the holster to the bone driving the characters leg deformation. If you plan on switching the gun to the hand later on then a postion controller will have to be used for the gun instead of parenting (remember to check keep offset if you want the gun to stay relative to the holster). Read the tuts on position controllers in the max help file. All is explained rather well there

amannin
05-21-2006, 07:58 PM
if you were using maya, it would be called a parent constrain -- which is animatable, i.e turning off / on --- not sure which program 3dRaven was refering to though...

YuriyNYR
05-21-2006, 08:58 PM
thank you, very helpfull. i will have to play around with it to get used to it.

one more question i have is what is it called where i can make biceps and triceps fold when the arm is bending. ive seen the video tutorial somewhere on these forums but i just wanted to know what it was called. muscle rigging?? does 3dmax have it in its tutorial help files?

also, to parent objects to one another, i just have to link them? and i couldnt find tuts on position controllers. where can i find it there? i opened the help file, and iam in the contents tab, there they list introduction, welcome to 3dmax, getting started,specialized, and projects. which one should i enter?

sorry for any misunderstandings,

thank you all once again, yuriy.

eek
05-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Two points, one parented to the hand, one to the holster. Use both a position and orientation constraint on the gun, using the points as targets. Make a new slider using the param editior in the animation menu.

Now wire the constraint targets of the orientation and position constraints to it using the simple 100-slider_name for one target and slider_name for the other.

cheers,

YuriyNYR
05-23-2006, 05:32 PM
yes deffinetly will try that thanks.

are there any tut's around on the web of this in a more detailed explanation?

thanks again, yuriy.

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2006, 05:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.